1.    #1  
    Sooo, after my speaker dying I received my replacement from Solectron. It looks new but how do you know if it is a refurb or brand spanking new?
    glenn
  2.    #2  
    well the hotsync went smoothly to the new unit, however I had the official T-mobile GPRS upgrade downloaded from the handspring site. The GPRS upgrade did not carry over to the new unit. I also thought the new units came equipped with GPRS?
    glenn
    Originally posted by gflos
    Sooo, after my speaker dying I received my replacement from Solectron. It looks new but how do you know if it is a refurb or brand spanking new?
    glenn
    When I received my replacement unit, the Proforma invoice had the words 'B Stock'. HS confirmed that B Stock is their term for a refurbished unit.

Some people posted saying that there is no difference... I beg to differ as my refurb died horribly after just 3 days. I then demanded a new machine (which is still going). The invoice for this had 'Treo 180 EU' (EU for Europe). HS confirmed that this was in fact a brand spanking new Treo.

If you do an RMA track on the HS site, this will also tell you if its B Stock, or give HS a call, give them your RMA number and they should be able to tell you.

Oh, not sure who Solectron are, which may affect everything I have just said
    well the hotsync went smoothly to the new unit, however I had the official T-mobile GPRS upgrade downloaded from the handspring site. The GPRS upgrade did not carry over to the new unit. I also thought the new units came equipped with GPRS?
    glenn
    Yes, same happened to me. No Hotsync of GPRS.

I had a big sticker on the box saying GPRS Upgrade. I got all excited and realised it actually said 'GPRS Upgrade' and then the fine print 'www.handspring.com'.

So no, my machine was not GPRS enabled from new either
  5.    #5  
    I just spoke to handspring & apparently solectron is their repair dealer, so it's looking like I got a refurb, especially since it did not come in a new handspring box with an invoice. It came in a brown box with shipping back to solectron for the old unit. They also claim that the refurb should have all issues resolved including the speaker wire. We'll see. I suppd'ly have a new 1 yr warranty. Also they also told me that they just started adding the GPRS patch to all units including the refurbs in the last day or 2.
    glenn
    Originally posted by nzmoko

Oh, not sure who Solectron are, which may affect everything I have just said

This is the company that does service & repairs for Handspring. If the replacement comes from them it is most likely a refurb.

Michael
    I suppd'ly have a new 1 yr warranty.
    Really? They specifically told me that my warranty was only 1 year from the original (initial) purchase date. Which kind of makes sense even though I'd like otherwise.
    Also, now that more info (thanks guys) has come out about Solectron=refurb, the one area of the treo that did not look new are the screws especially at the top in the back. Hard to tell if they are scuffed --which could be normal-- or "dusty".

Jordan
    Hmmm warranty info is good to know...

The rep I spoke to yesterday issued me a new unit replacement. I asked about the 90-day warranty and she said that will be in effect when my unit ships out. As far as the 1-yr warranty, I'm gonna call HS Customer Service to find out exactly how that works with my replacement. *Hoping for a renewed 1-yr warranty*
    Originally posted by Treo96
    As far as the 1-yr warranty, I'm gonna call HS Customer Service to find out exactly how that works with my replacement. *Hoping for a renewed 1-yr warranty*
    When I received my new replacement (after the refurb died) I was told my warranty is for 1 year. Maybe it's different for a refurb
    Originally posted by Treo96
    Hmmm warranty info is good to know...

The rep I spoke to yesterday issued me a new unit replacement. I asked about the 90-day warranty and she said that will be in effect when my unit ships out. As far as the 1-yr warranty, I'm gonna call HS Customer Service to find out exactly how that works with my replacement. *Hoping for a renewed 1-yr warranty*
    If/When you need to have your Treo replaced, the original one year warrany remains in effect. In other words, a replament Treo is covered under the remaining portion of the original one year warranty, or 90 days, whichever is the greater of the two.
    Originally posted by mfacelle

This is the company that does service & repairs for Handspring. If the replacement comes from them it is most likely a refurb.

Michael
    Michael actually they do both repairs and new units so its safe to say that they are a service and repair location that Handspring uses. so your assumation of its a refurb isnt correct.