1.    #1  
    Does anyone know anything about a folding keyboard called Pocketop? It's a wireless keyboard and seems to have a easier time with compatibility.
    They have noted on their web site that they have a driver that allows the Treo to work but has some problems. It appears from their note that it has more to due with mechanical aspects of positioning the unit.
    If anybody has more information on it I would love to hear what exactly are the problems. I so desperate for a keyboard that if all it needs is a better way of fixturing the unit I'm sure I can make something that will work.
    I use the Pockettop keyboard (bought it when I had a Handspring Visor). It works reasonably well, although not perfect. The key is to line up the Treo's IR window with the keyboard IR window (on the top left of the keyboard). What I do is use the included S/W to turn the screen on the Treo upside down, then open the lid and point the Treo at the keyboard while resting it on my case so that the screen is viewable (becaue the Treo is upside down, you're now viewing the screen right-side up). The keyboard only has three rows, so much punctuation (except for period, comma, apostraphe and semicolon) and all numbers have to be accessed through function/control buttons (eg, press function, plus another button to get the number 3). And, it seems to easily lose contact with the IR (needs to be pretty near). Not nearly as nice as the ThinkOutside keyboard (the three-part foldup that Palm and Targus sell), but unfortunately, ThinkOutside doesn't make a keyboard for the Treo. And, it is VERY small...even smaller than the Treo itself. I use it along with a program called DayNotez to take notes for all my meetings.

BTW, even though MicroInnovation's site says that screen rotation is not available, it works fine on my Treo...not sure why they say that.
    Last edited by sbcrair; 12/12/2002 at 02:11 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I just got the Pocketop keyboard in the mail. I see what you mean with the IR connection. Although using it in the upside down mode is doable (if the alternative is no keyboard) I am trying to figure out how to use it the way it was originally designed. I have tried to position the Treo to have the mirror reflect the signal. I've had no luck and am wondering whether this works at all even with the other PDA's. If I could get it to work I would be willing to have my toolroom machine out a holding fixture to duplicate the position. When you had your Visor did you use the reflective mode? If so what is the trick to get it to work?
    Aside from the basic connection, here are some observations of the keyboard itself. The keyboard is fairly small and the way they have the keys sculpted it is hard to type fast without making errors. Mind you this is coming from a guy who types in the old hunt and peck mode. For some reason the feel seems strange and I feel it has to do with the height spacing of the keys. There are three rows of keys with a fourth row for the space bar and function keys. They decided to have a second row that is 1/3 taller than the rest. I feel they would have been better off keeping the rows heights equal and providing the fourth row with a little separation. Now this may be due to the way I type but I used to do fine with the HP Jornada 720 keyboard which is even smaller. That being said I still appreciate the fact that I now have an external keyboard for my Treo.
    I unhappily noted that my Targus is now obsolete---does anyone know of any plans for a full scale keyboard to come around?
    Originally posted by alanfujii
    I just got the Pocketop keyboard in the mail. I see what you mean with the IR connection. Although using it in the upside down mode is doable (if the alternative is no keyboard) I am trying to figure out how to use it the way it was originally designed. I have tried to position the Treo to have the mirror reflect the signal. I've had no luck and am wondering whether this works at all even with the other PDA's. If I could get it to work I would be willing to have my toolroom machine out a holding fixture to duplicate the position. When you had your Visor did you use the reflective mode? If so what is the trick to get it to work?
    Aside from the basic connection, here are some observations of the keyboard itself. The keyboard is fairly small and the way they have the keys sculpted it is hard to type fast without making errors. Mind you this is coming from a guy who types in the old hunt and peck mode. For some reason the feel seems strange and I feel it has to do with the height spacing of the keys. There are three rows of keys with a fourth row for the space bar and function keys. They decided to have a second row that is 1/3 taller than the rest. I feel they would have been better off keeping the rows heights equal and providing the fourth row with a little separation. Now this may be due to the way I type but I used to do fine with the HP Jornada 720 keyboard which is even smaller. That being said I still appreciate the fact that I now have an external keyboard for my Treo.
    When I had my Visor, I used to lay down on the stand sideways, and set the screen up for sideways viewing. Again, not ideal, but it worked. Never did get the mirror thing to work.

I agree with your comments about the keyboard. I'm a touch-typist (about 60 wpm), and I have a lot of problems with this keyboard...that being said, it is faster than the thumbboard, and the only way to take lenghthy notes or emails. Sure wish there was a ThinkOutside keyboard for this one (eg, the Targus keyboard).
    I haven't heard anything at all about a keyboard for the 300. It seems odd that such popular machines are not supported on this level.