1.    #1  
    A couple of other threads have been going on this issue, where the data connection drops constantly (and some folks' Treos do a soft reset when trying to reconnect). Well, it seems that over the past couple of days, my connection won't even stay going for more than 5 or 10 minutes at most.
    Anyone else seeing worsening performance lately? It's really bugging me; the bloom is off the rose. Dang it.
    yeah, my connection seems to be getting worse, not as bad as yours, but very noticeable. Hopfully it is due to sprint trying to fix things on their end..... hopfully!
    I've also noticed this over the past few days. It's gotten awful.

- m
  4. lrk
    I'd been very unhappy with frequent dropped data connections for 3 weeks, but it's been much better this week--drops only occasionally.
    mine doesnt drop

it just kinda times out

and wont pick itself backup

unless i power down the radio and then power it up again

is there a util or hack that sends keep alive packets that might help

also the i cant figure out how to make netselect work on the treo cuz the shortcuts point to places in the graffiti pad area on other palms.
    I haven't had the problems but perhaps it's due to Business Connection. It syncs every 30 minutes, which keeps the data connection active. Last I heard, Sprint times out the data link at 2 hours.
    My has the same issue and I am not aware of any hacks.

Originally posted by backwerd
    mine doesnt drop

it just kinda times out

and wont pick itself backup

unless i power down the radio and then power it up again

is there a util or hack that sends keep alive packets that might help

also the i cant figure out how to make netselect work on the treo cuz the shortcuts point to places in the graffiti pad area on other palms.
  8.    #8  
    Business Connection and its associated sync times won't cure my ills - I have TreoMail set to sync every 15 minutes, and it has to wake up the data connection just about every time. I've noticed today that the data connection can drop RIGHT after using it - I was in Blazer, getting a (new, not cached) web page, and then within 30 seconds, the next link I clicked caused the whole 'signing on', connected, etc process. So it can bail in the space of a minute.

I have to HOPE that Sprint is working on this on a larger scale - I recall that one user has a test build from Sprint for his Treo to see if it would help. We'll see. It's bugging me big time. (and the constant signing on stuff is starting to drain my battery moreso than having the always-on mode did, it seems to me...grrr)
    I probably just jinxed it, heh, but I haven't had the "reset on reconnect" problem for a couple of weeks.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  10.    #10  
    But does your data connection hold itself (watch it there) reliably? I've actually not had the reset problem, but just many many problems keeping a firm grip on the data connection. Just wondering...
    I'm the guy with the beta build. Though it's cured my reset problem, I am also facing the same difficulty maintaining and getting a connection. It is noticeably worse lately, at least here in the NY area.
  12.    #12  
    dang it - I ws hoping, Curtis, that that special build would help with the data issue. Guess not. I also doubt that Sprint is very motivated to fix it...
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I'm the guy with the beta build. Though it's cured my reset problem, I am also facing the same difficulty maintaining and getting a connection. It is noticeably worse lately, at least here in the NY area.
    what beta build you referring to and where do ya get it
    if be haveing strange resets lately too
    I also constantly have the "signin on, established" almost eveytime I access a "network" app. It is very annoying.
    I finally called Sprint wireless web tech support tier 2 because I got so fed-up. Told the tech that when I first purchased my Treo 300 (October 1st 2002) it had an always on data connection and that now, no more. The tech advised that is normal. I argued on the phone and finally had to hang up because he would not budge.

Even the new SnapperMail auto-fetch does not re-restablish the connection in the background. What good is an auto-fetch if we can't have an "always on" like advertised a while back?
    I am hopeful that sprint is addressing this issue. I think the idea might be to get a remittance deal while the service is so bad, then keep the fingers crossed that it will be fixed.

-rob