1.    #1  
    I've got little chips of the silver coating chipped off on the bottom. Never have dropped it, etc... I use a holster....could that be doing it?

Just wonderin'
    *** ------------ Insert Catchy Tagline Here ------------ ***
    Yup - me too. I figured out it is the holster.

The paint on the Treo is not very resistant to scratches... but then again, no paint-to-plastic process really is.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I carry my Treo in my front pocket and the paint is starting to wear off at all of the "contact" points; hinges, corners, etc. The best thing I can compare it to would be the old Prism's. The purple paint on them did the same thing.

--Dave

Is that a Treo in your pocket or you just happy to see me?
    I've had mine since August, and every contact point has paint loss (cradle areas, really bad where the holster hits in the back). I <try> to not stress about it too much. Since it's just paint, I figure that's the way it is.
    The 300 is the ONLY piece of consumer electronics that I've had in many years that was PAINTED. So who exactly is the complete ***** at TREO that authorized the painting process, and has he/she been FIRED YET? It's not and I'll explain why really quick. My 300 is pretty new but it looks like SH*T because of all the areas the paint has WORN OFF. So everybody looks at it and ISN'T IMPRESSED. Which means NOBODY WHO SEES MY TREO WOULD BUY ONE.

So, Handspring, since you DON'T take customer support on the 300 because it all goes to sprint, obviously you DON'T CARE about this.

I'll be quite happy to keep using the TREO 300, as long as the COMPLETE ***** who ordered paint on the cases is FIRED.

Mike Hayes
    I have to agree with ya there, mike. But as for me, I'm on my 5th Treo!! So just as they're about to achieve that "aged" look, something malfunctions and I have it replaced under warranty. And I also use a case but the case dosen't rub any paint off. But whoever designed this case wasn't too saavy on the practicalities. The two upper corners of the phone are completely expose while in the case! So I added my personal touch for complete protection; two little squares of duct tape (it matches too!). Anyway, you people have to understand that products are never made to their full potential first time around. All the money is made in purchasing "upgrades" or "newer" versions. If they created the perfect Treo right off the bat (the technology is there), they'd only sell to those people once. But when you have versions 300, 360, 720, 900, etc., there's a buttload of money to be made by them. If a new Treo comes out, there will I'm sure be a lot of "repeat business"! Just my 2 sense. This is true with anything in the consumer world too! Look at how many times these damn computers become obsolete!!!
    Originally posted by 003oret
    products are never made to their full potential first time around.
    I once bought a cutting board from a restaurant supply store labeled "the LAST cutting board you'll ever buy". Not only has it lasted 10 years with heavy usage, it doesn't let mold live on it like plastic cutting boards and doesn't come apart like ones made out of wood. Recently started looking to buy more of these cutting boards to replace plastic ones. Guess what? They are no longer for sale as the company went out of business. The label on the front was true.

Back to treo: armed with the fine advice from this forum I only carry my treo in a pocket with nothing else in it. No missing paint. Even dropped it once on tile. No scratches. I'm sure eventually it will start to come off but that doesn't bother me. It's only paint. My lid is slightly wobbly, but as long as it doesn't affect operation I'm ok with that too.

Hope Handspring survives the Bush recession (ducking) so that it can continue to improve with such things as OS5, high resolution, sturdier lid, unpainted plastic, SD slot, tri-band, mp3 or wav ringers, etc.
    David
    i am having the same problem. I had my Treo for two months or so and only carry it in pants pocket with nothing in it. The paint on the bottom and the sides is peeling like crazy.

Class action law suit anyone?
    Originally posted by netwizard
    Class action law suit anyone?
    I think I'm going to be sick. It's just paint people. Mine's coming off too. I didn't buy it because it looked good. Is it a problem? Yes. Should it have been done right the first time? Yes. Is it worth getting into a huff over? In my opinion, not at all.
    It wore off on the corners too.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Why do you asume that Handspring made the final call on what the Treo 300 should look like. From everything I have seen Handspring looks like the OEM for the 300 and Sprint is the one that made the final decision to go with a painted case.

Originally posted by Mhaze
    The 300 is the ONLY piece of consumer electronics that I've had in many years that was PAINTED. So who exactly is the complete ***** at TREO that authorized the painting process, and has he/she been FIRED YET? It's not and I'll explain why really quick. My 300 is pretty new but it looks like SH*T because of all the areas the paint has WORN OFF. So everybody looks at it and ISN'T IMPRESSED. Which means NOBODY WHO SEES MY TREO WOULD BUY ONE.

So, Handspring, since you DON'T take customer support on the 300 because it all goes to sprint, obviously you DON'T CARE about this.

I'll be quite happy to keep using the TREO 300, as long as the COMPLETE ***** who ordered paint on the cases is FIRED.

Mike Hayes
    I just wish i could replace the plastic window on the flip. Mine has a bad scratch and I like to read with the flip down. I can still read but the scratch buggs me so.
    What am I doing wrong? I got my Treo 300 when it first came out last August, use it regularly, and can't see *any* loss of paint yet. For the first few months I kept it in a generic nylon Velcro-flap case I had around, that sort of fit, and since then I've kept it in a Vaja case with a snug fit and a (ummmmm) buttery-smooth leather interior.
    mine is still in very nice shape since august but there are a couple of little spots on the corners where the paint has worn, so i know what folks are talking about. mine is always in a case. first i used the handspring sport case and last month i switched to the brookstone case. both leave the corners uncovered and that's where i have the paint loss, so not exactly sure where it is coming from.

i agree that with all the technology out there, the case should have been at least made of plastic with the color all the way through. its the same thing with car bumpers. i had a pontiac bonneville that had plastic bumpers where the color went all the way through so scratches would polish out. then i got a lexus rx300 and the bumpers were painted and scratched very easily. how annoying on a supposed luxury car!!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    They are battle scars. Wear them with honor.

They are notches on your headboard. Newbies don't have scratches. Only the early adopter Treo 300 users that went through the first month or two while Sprint was trying to get their Vision service working for more than an hour have these! Only the people that had to wait for a week to get their data service provisioned have these.

Only the power users that would sit on the top of a hill in that park and send email, "just cause you can" have them.

Be proud. You are one of the few!
    I wanted a treo300 so bad that I got my whife an A500 Samsung so she wouldn't get pissed at me cuz of the price. The first week she had it she stoped at the mail box. The A500 fell out cuz she had it sitting between her legs (think it was on vibrate). yes it hit the driveway. did she see it? NO. She ran over it. I didn't get the insurance. She cried. I forked out another $300.00 Ouch I still feel it. Sorry a bit off topic.
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    They are battle scars. Wear them with honor.

They are notches on your headboard. Newbies don't have scratches. Only the early adopter Treo 300 users that went through the first month or two while Sprint was trying to get their Vision service working for more than an hour have these! Only the people that had to wait for a week to get their data service provisioned have these.

Only the power users that would sit on the top of a hill in that park and send email, "just cause you can" have them.

Be proud. You are one of the few!
    well said!i think i'll scuff mine up some more!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by BADFLHT
    Sorry a bit off topic.
    No, thank YOU! for your entertaining story.
    David
    Originally posted by aarons12
    then i got a lexus rx300 and the bumpers were painted and scratched very easily. how annoying on a supposed luxury car!!
    I'm having a hard time picturing a Lexus owner who makes his own ringtones. Seems like you should be paying someone else to make them while you relax on the veranda with a pina colada.
    David