Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is anyone using Treo Mail and Snapper Mail? If so, I'd appreciate hearing (1) how they compare against each other (specifically, what advantages does Treo Mail offer), and (2) whether you encountered any problems having both applications on your Treo at the same time?
    I trashed TreoMail for a few reasons. 1) doesn't handle attachments, 2) during my evaluation, it took on average of 35 minutes to receive new e-mail which was unacceptable to me, 3) it is a proxy server implementation and I just didn't like the idea of another potential point of failure.

I find SnapperMail to be a very good product. It is still in beta and has some rough edges but a new release last night addressed many shortcomings.

I currently have three e-mail clients on my Treo 300 (Basejet, Snappermail and 2bAnywhere (this one has the most promise I think - first beta release is available)) and the Treo works just fine.

BTW, all of the above are really good packages IMO. It just depends what you are looking for in an e-mail client. Most of our individual needs tend to be slightly different.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 12/11/2002 at 01:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Snappermail is looking better and better lately - does it do SPOP yet? And if not, is it on the to-do list?
    The developer just posted today or yesterday on the Yahoo group that APOP is in the works.
    I use TreoMail now with Outlook - love it. SnapperMail won't get a try from me until they have an Outlook redirect function. I know they're working on it....
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I use TreoMail now with Outlook - love it. SnapperMail won't get a try from me until they have an Outlook redirect function. I know they're working on it....
    What do you mean by "an Outlook redirect function?" Wouldn't that be something Outlook would handle?
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    I think nrosser means a conduit of some-sort that monitors the Outlook app that is connected to an exchange server. When the conduit sees that Outlook is seeing new mail on the server, it redirects that mail to a specified address.

I believe Basejet provides something like this.
    There are a number of programs (yes, Basejet is one, along with Aileron by Corsoft, Sprint's own Business Connection, TreoMail, Wireless Knowledge, the list goes on and on), where an app sitting on your PC, where Outlook is running, monitors your inbox, and then sends mail (redirects copies actually) over to the handheld. The good thing about <most>, but not all, of them is that they keep the Inbox sync'd with the activity on the Treo. When I delete a message on the Treo, it also gets deleted in Outlook. This is not exactly the same as using rules and things to forward messages over to another account such as POP3 or IMAP. The key is that you don't have to establish or use another mail account to 'ghost' the Outlook activity - all the mail activity essentially happens inside Outlook. The downside is that you have to have your PC up and running and hooked up to the Exchange server for the mail to get sent over to your handheld - there are many server-based solutions (most of the above programs listed have server options) but the IT folks in your company would have to open a port, etc, and they are often reluctant to do so. They are in my case (they would s*** if they even knew that I was using a handheld for company mail stuff.

So that's the scoop.
    Exactly. In my case the "energy police" come around at night and turn off PC's so that is why I wanted/needed a solution that wasn't desktop centric. Even Exchange IT departments have cost-effective solutions available that will allow their mobile users access to Exchange mailboxes.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 12/11/2002 at 10:53 PM.
  10. Kan
    Has anyone gotten Snappermail working for Attbi settings? I know Eudora handles At&t well, but I couldnt get Snappermail to do it.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Kan
    Has anyone gotten Snappermail working for Attbi settings? I know Eudora handles At&t well, but I couldnt get Snappermail to do it.

Thoughts?
    Doesn't work Kan!
    SM doesn't support SSL authentication.
    This is the only thing stopping me from using it!
    I've been using the beta fro 2bAnywhere. Works w/ATTBI and a sinch to set up, check it out:

http://www.2banywhere.com/welcome.htm
    One other note about why it's cool to have one's Outlook inbox mirrored on a Palm app: At least with basejet, whenever I SEND an e-mail from my Palm, that same e-mail automagically appears in my desktop Outlook sent folder

Downside of apps like Basejet and others that sync with Outlook: since they're a 'service' rather than a product, it seems likely that -- once out of beta -- there's gonna be a monthly fee associated with the service. And then I'll be outtie. I send and receive mail on my Treo purely for fun, not for business, so once I start getting charged anything over a modest one-time fee, I'll just stop using e-mail on my Treo.
    Has anyone tried the Palm Versamail email application on a treo ?
    I had it on my Tungsten and think it's ok.

Regards, Joep
    Versamail will not install on a Treo, it is for Palm OS version 4.1 and up only. The Treo is 3.5.2.

I am using Multimail, the old Versamail, and I like it.
    Versamail will not install on a Treo, it is for Palm OS version 4.1 and up only. The Treo is 3.5.2.
    That's right ! I must have the old Multimail Application backed up somewhere.

Why are you using it ? Isn't Snappermail, with the extra Treo options , a better solution ?
    Having a desltop side componet like TreoMail or BaseJet does one particularly good thing that I seriously doubt SnapperMail will ever accomplish. Convert MS Documents to Palm usable documents.

MS Word .doc files mean nonthing to the Palm OS and may never. SnapperMail can download a .doc, but it might as well download an anchor. DataViz in partnership with Corsoft and BaseJet will convert Excel, Word, Tiff, Jpg, PowerPoint, PDF and others to be viewable on the palm in a PDB format. With Dataviz and Corsoft these documents are editable. Corsoft does not have a desktop componet (I think), but their servers log into your mail, convert it and send it to you in a usable format. This is how Aileron can also SEND attachments from the handheld like a MS Word document.

MultiMail (versamail) can do this too, but to get attachments you have to use the desktop conduit during a hotsync. It cannot be done wirelessly.

SnapperMail works like Outlook Express, it just downloads stuff. You do with it what the program will let you. Then Snapper has to support every program out there for use. Like FlyZip, he wrote that, if there was a competeing product, he would have to write more code. Some use Doc to Go or WordSmith, or even FastWriter. All have different requirements and have to coded by Snapper people differently. This is a good example of not having a monopolistic Microsoft can be like for software people. If the palm could convert .doc to .pdb somehow Snapper is the client I would use without question.

However, XLS and DOC files are too important. That is why I use Dataviz Inbox to GO.

Derek
    Originally posted by Joeppie

Why are you using it ? Isn't Snappermail, with the extra Treo options , a better solution ?
    Well not necessarily. I like the IMAP support in Multimail, the UI is nice, it handles some attachments. Plus I already have it and I don't neet to shell out more money.
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy

MultiMail (versamail) can do this too, but to get attachments you have to use the desktop conduit during a hotsync. It cannot be done wirelessly.
    Do you mean for all attachments? With multimail, you can send PRCs, txt etc and as long as you have the proper plug-ins installed, you do not need a conduit. The app handles the attachments. There is even an HTML viewer to read HTML encoded e-mail.
    If your POP account has a file attachment MultiMail does not download it. It uses the desktop conduit to download, convert, then install the PDB on your Palm.

On your handheld you can attach any native palm file aka PDB. If you have a picture on your handheld and you attach the PDB and email it to me, I get a useless PDB. If you hotsync, the conduit converts the PDB to a GIF and sends me a GIF. SnapperMail can handle ZIPS because he wrote it to do so. ZIPS mean nonthing to a Palm they have to be converted to a PDB.

Palm has a limitation on the file types it can support, which in time will go away. OS5 allows for faster processors, but OS6 will do some really deft things. When SnapperMail downloads a ZIP, its a ZIP inside a PDB, its not just a ZIP hanging out there on your Palm. Thats why files have to be converted. A .doc also must be inside a PDB. So email apps have to convert the .doc to information that can work in a PDB, which is what 2banywhere and Aileron do on their servers before you download it.

Palm has some nasty limitations if you perceive them that way. For its lack of growth as a platform, there are 16,000 apps on palmgear. However, the modern messaging world is playing 'lets beat the palm with a stick.'

In 1984, Apple showed up with their new improved computer the Macintosh, but there was over 10,000 business apps for the IBM PC by that time. This time PocketPC is backed by Microsoft and us Palm junkies are similar to 20 year old DOS people. PalmOS 6 will be the 'windows' for Palm so to speak because it really will do good stuff.

Derek
    I must correct myself. I mentioned in the last post 2banywhere converts documents on the server. I'm very far from the truth. 2banywhere leaves attachments on the server and it can forward them from the server, they never make it to the palm.

If any of you were Omnisky customers you used 2banywhere. When Earthlink bought Omnisky, the OSMail 3.0 software was released. They got away from pqa and now use the 2banywhere product. Your account information is stored on 2banywhere servers and they are the intermediary. Their servers strip out useless formatting and pictures. But they have a self pulling componet to check your mail every 5 minutes if you like.

I am not sure who 2banywhere is, but Omnisky is where they started. Its an OK client. I will say its the best IMAP client I have used. I dumped Omnisky for the Treo because of coverage issues. Dataviz is still the mail app for me. Basejet close second if I can edit attachments.

Derek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast