1.    #1  
    Ok, heres my workaround for the push email thing.... kinda

I use Eudora (free) to get email on my Treo300. I have a yahoo email account (free), I have my ISP email a copy of all incoming emails to my yahoo account (free, for me) , I set up an SMS email alert on the yahoo mobile site (free) mobile.yahoo.com to send me an SMS alert when i get new email.

Pros:
    Whenever i get new email i get an SMS message with header info (who the email is from and subject) and a few lines of text. So I can tell if i want to check my email (through Eudora) or if i can wait till later. But i always know when i get new email.

Cons:
    The free yahoo account is only 4MB.... so i have to empty my yahoo email folders often (not that big of a deal).

Also the free yahoo account only accepts emails 1MB or smaller in size or it will bounce the message (from the yahoo account only, it will still go to your regular email account) I havent had too much of a problem with this yet.

Fix for the Cons:
    Yahoo has an email service called " Yahoo Mail Plus " that for $29.99 /year you can up your storage to 25MB and receive emails up to 10MB in size.

well thats about it... it works pretty well for me.

Brian
    I had this solution, but then I decided to try sprints BC (business connect) personal edition... I totally love BC. It actually does push the e-mail down (through some sort of behind the scenes sms type stuff) and it supports IMAP. It costs $5 a month, but I think I am gonna stick with it until someone else can offer something compareable.
    Here's my work around which is a little easier.

I have my main ISP email account forwarded to my sprintpcs.com account. Once that is done, log into your Vision account online at http://www.sprintpcs.com and go to "Email->Settings and Pref->Notification Tab->Notification by PCS Phone and choose "All Messages"

Now when you get a email at your ISP account you will get a SMS that says "Check your PCS mail" and with a always on connection it only takes 15 seconds. This is not really "push" but will do for now.
    My version is the same as imageone, except when you're at sprintpcs.com setting up notification, I selected "forward message to" choice and keyed in 9999999999@messaging.sprintpcs.com where 99s are my phone number. That way the first 160 bytes of the message show up instead of the "check your email" message.

I'd rather know what came than just know a message has arrived!
  5.    #5  
    i used to use that approch also, but if my incoming email was too big, sprint would bounce my emails back to whoever sent it..... I would only get very small (file size) text emails, and any email with an attachment (no matter what size) would bounce back to whoever sent the message... very bad for business when everyone thinks your email is down.

This approch did work when i first got my treo300, back in August, but then started bouncing my email (above). Like Sprint put a file size limit on the 9999999999@messaging.sprintpcs.com emails. Thats when i started using the yahoo thing.... maybe sprint changed something to make this work again.... i will have to give it a try.
    Last edited by briguy33; 12/09/2002 at 05:08 PM.
    I've started working on NotifyMail <http://www.notifymail.com/> for the Treo which uses SMS for notification and then turns around and tells your email client to check for mail. Right now it's working with Mark/Space Mail and I hope to add other clients to it soon (if they support what I need). I've been using it for the last few days and it works quite well. You don't get an extra alert that says "check for mail"...it just works. If you get a regular SMS, it still displays the alert.

This type of setup only makes sense with an unlimited plan; it would be way too expensive without.

I know people use SnapperMail and Eudora for email; supporting SnapperMail is a possibility (I've already started talking to them)...Eudora is highly unlikely because I don't believe they support what I need and they haven't developed it in awhile. If there are other email clients you'd like to see me support, please info here or send email to: suggest@notifymail.com.

If/when I release it, it will probably be somewhere around $10 or less. If anyone is using Mark/Space Mail and wants to give it a whirl, drop me some email at: support@notifymail.com.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sgruby
    I've started working on NotifyMail <http://www.notifymail.com/> for the Treo which uses SMS for notification and then turns around and tells your email client to check for mail. Right now it's working with Mark/Space Mail and I hope to add other clients to it soon (if they support what I need). I've been using it for the last few days and it works quite well. You don't get an extra alert that says "check for mail"...it just works. If you get a regular SMS, it still displays the alert.

This type of setup only makes sense with an unlimited plan; it would be way too expensive without.

I know people use SnapperMail and Eudora for email; supporting SnapperMail is a possibility (I've already started talking to them)...Eudora is highly unlikely because I don't believe they support what I need and they haven't developed it in awhile. If there are other email clients you'd like to see me support, please info here or send email to: suggest@notifymail.com.

If/when I release it, it will probably be somewhere around $10 or less. If anyone is using Mark/Space Mail and wants to give it a whirl, drop me some email at: support@notifymail.com.
    I believe the next release of Snapper is supposed to have automatic checking of e-mail. Would your nifty program still be valuable? Or would it be redundant?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Originally posted by utey

I believe the next release of Snapper is supposed to have automatic checking of e-mail. Would your nifty program still be valuable? Or would it be redundant?
    Some may consider it redundant, but others may not. If you want to immediately notified of new email, then my program is still valuable. Check my website for the arguments for NotifyMail (desktop version); some don't quite apply to the Palm version since you're probably not going to check more than once every 15 minutes or so, but it might give you some insight behind the application.
    Originally posted by briguy33
    i used to use that approch also, but if my incoming email was too big, sprint would bounce my emails back to whoever sent it..... I would only get very small (file size) text emails, and any email with an attachment (no matter what size) would bounce back to whoever sent the message... very bad for business when everyone thinks your email is down.

This approch did work when i first got my treo300, back in August, but then started bouncing my email (above). Like Sprint put a file size limit on the 9999999999@messaging.sprintpcs.com emails. Thats when i started using the yahoo thing.... maybe sprint changed something to make this work again.... i will have to give it a try.
    That only happens when you use your Sprint account to do the forwarding. I have my personal and work emails automatically forward to #@messaging.sprintpcs.com and it does NOT bounce the messages back to send when there is an attachement (it also doesn't send it to the Treo, but no big deal there).

So... it's not the messaging.sprintpcs.com that counces them back, it must be the Sprint email account. Solution: forward from your other accounts (most have that setting).
  10.    #10  
    That only happens when you use your Sprint account to do the forwarding. I have my personal and work emails automatically forward to #@messaging.sprintpcs.com and it does NOT bounce the messages back to send when there is an attachement (it also doesn't send it to the Treo, but no big deal there).

Actually, I was forwarding my email from my work email server when it was bouncing my emails back to the sender. Hmmm...

I am going to try it again and see if things have changed somewhere down the line.

thanks for the input.

Brian
  11.    #11  
    =================================

91650XXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<91650XXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com>:
    host mx.messaging.sprintpcs.com [68.28.3.22]:
    552 Message size exceeds fixed limit

=================================

this is what i get bounced back to me when i try to forward my email from my hosts server (not sprint) straight to my 9999999999@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

and this was only a 50k attachment and only 3 words typed.

with my yahoo approch (discribed above) I get all emails up to 1mb, with full headers (forwarding small text emails straight to 9999999999@messaging.sprintpcs.com only gives me the first few lines of text, does'nt tell me who its from or the subject)

I am glad that your approch works for you (and others i'm sure) but my yahoo idea works much better for me (and others i'm sure)

thanks

Brian
    Originally posted by mpk65281

So... it's not the messaging.sprintpcs.com that counces them back, it must be the Sprint email account. Solution: forward from your other accounts (most have that setting).
    I have messages bounced back from the messaging server as well. Only when there are large attachments. Not a big deal.
    Originally posted by mpk65281

I have my personal and work emails automatically forward to #@messaging.sprintpcs...
    I do this as well, but every now and then, the message crashes my Treo. I get an error message telling me to reset. The worst thing is that when this error is displayed, the screen doesn't seem to turn off, therefore draining the battery.

Anyone else get this behaviour?
    After two days of not bouncing messages back I got them all back at once. Now, if it only bounced them back to my email that would be fine, but (like the other poster noted) it bounces them all the way back to the original sender which is embarassing in a business situation because they assume that you never got the email.

Grrrr.
    I took your advice and set up the Yahoo account. VERY fast! When I receive an email, I get the SMS on my Treo in literally seconds.

Here's a tip that I found that will help with the 4mb limit on inboxes. Set your filter to move the item to Trash and send alert to mobile phone (since you are only using it as a delivery medium, you don't really need it in the inbox anyway). That way you won't have to go in a clean out the inbox so often.

I love that SMS messages are now free and unlimted with Vision!
    Is there anyway around the 30 alerts per day limit???

When I select the "empty" option it defaults to 5. A limit of 30 isn't a huge problem, but I would like to have no limits....
    When you receive your messages from #@messaging.sprintpcs.com and it shows up on your screen, does it stop the currently running program? When I get a message while on the phone, it takes over and I have to get rid of the SMS program to get to the phone functions again.

Also, I use BigClock as my alarm clock in the mornings (very nice, and loud enough for me). This morning, I pressed snooze and then received a message shortly after and it did not ring again. When I woke up and powered the Treo, I saw the message, then I clicked ok, and BigClock resumed.

I find this annoying. Is there a workaround?