1.    #1  
    I've gotten a lot of really good (and nice) feedback on my new hack, KeyCapsHack.

In this thread, please post suggestions for features and improvements for it. I'll start with a list of what I've got so far.

• Make it work with Blazer. For some reason, it doesn't work when entering text in Blazer. I have no idea why. If I can get enough donations, I'll contact Handspring developer support ($195/incident) about it. Blazer also messes up my other Treo hack, StayOnlineHack.
    • Make it work properly with QuickChat. Right now, holding down will give the capital or option value, and then when you let go it'll give another lower case letter. Odd.
    • Triple click option to do various things (anything any of the other input methods can do)
    • Make it work with the Shift(!), List Type, and Menu Keys, so you can double click/hold those to do Find/0/Launcher
    • RIM-style hit space twice puts a period, autoshifts.
    • Possible separate configuration for each key.
    • Configuration option to set the timeout for double-click. Some people like it longer than others.
    • Test text area in hack config, so you don't have to click OK and then switch to Memopad or another app to test it.
    • Have any of the methods (hold down, double click, triple click?) have the option of doing "Menu+Key"

That's all I can think of right now. Please give me more great suggestions.
    Last edited by metsfan; 12/10/2002 at 05:06 AM.
    those would be great additions. If you can mimic how SnapperMail lets you run menu commands (command strokes) without pressing the menu key first, that would be awesome. It's a wonderful time saver. Also, I'd prefer that each function be confirable for any possible action, just like you have now. I would be the guy who wants to set the hold action to be the command stroke activator. I'm already used to pressing shift and option when needed, but being able to do menu commands without the menu button is really nice.
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    those would be great additions. If you can mimic how SnapperMail lets you run menu commands (command strokes) without pressing the menu key first, that would be awesome. It's a wonderful time saver. Also, I'd prefer that each function be confirable for any possible action, just like you have now. I would be the guy who wants to set the hold action to be the command stroke activator. I'm already used to pressing shift and option when needed, but being able to do menu commands without the menu button is really nice.
    -Greg
    I'm not familiar with the command stroke activation in snappermail. Is it the same as holding down the letter to do "Menu+Letter?"

If so, I can see what I can do for that. Also a few more things that have been suggested, or I've though of.

RIM-style hit space twice puts a period, autoshifts.
    Possible separate configuration for each key.
    Configuration option to set the timeout for double-click. Some people like it longer than others.
    Test text area in hack config, so you don't have to click OK and then switch to Memopad or another app to test it.

I'll put all these on the original message to keep it all together.
    Last edited by metsfan; 12/10/2002 at 05:06 AM.
    Originally posted by metsfan
    I'm not familiar with the command stroke activation in snappermail. Is it the same as holding down the letter to do "Menu+Letter?"
    The *results* are the same as pressing menu+letter. In SnapperMail (in the soon to be released public beta) unless a text field is active, plain keystrokes are intercepted and acted on as if the menu/command key preceeded it. For example, in the list view, if a message I want to delete is highlighted, I just hit the J key to junk it. I don't have to hold it down or press any other buttons. SnapperMail knows that since I'm not in a text field (there aren't any on the list view screen anyway) that the letter is just as good as menu+letter. Hopefully the next public beta will be out tomorrow, and you can see what I mean.
    Now, I know this isn't possible for your hack, but a key-hold should be hackable, eh? If I hold down a key for the timeout period, then the hack will send the menu/command code followed by the letter I pressed.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Add me to the list of grateful users!
    I too would like to do the same with the options so I could, for instance, enter a phone number without having to double click the options key first, and then click again to go back to text, etc.
    Bob
    One problem some users have found is when they are a fast typist and the hack capitalizes inappropriately.

For example, is someone wants to type "freezing" the hack would result in "frEzing".

I know some users have adjusted their typing style to accomodate this. I'd rather not have to ;-)

Instead, I suggest that the hack not automatically capitalize letters in the middle of a word.

This would mean that only 'intercapped' words like TreoCentral would cause problems, but frankly, this is just trendy and certainly not correct English, so who cares?

It would probably be appropriate to automatically capitalize letters mid-word if the first two were capped, such that when people 'SHOUT' it renders correctly also.

Alternatively, this could be one more option in what is at risk of becoming bloatware :-)

Congrats on a sensational hack.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by lewko
    One problem some users have found is when they are a fast typist and the hack capitalizes inappropriately.

For example, is someone wants to type "freezing" the hack would result in "frEzing".

I know some users have adjusted their typing style to accomodate this. I'd rather not have to ;-)

Instead, I suggest that the hack not automatically capitalize letters in the middle of a word.

This would mean that only 'intercapped' words like TreoCentral would cause problems, but frankly, this is just trendy and certainly not correct English, so who cares?

It would probably be appropriate to automatically capitalize letters mid-word if the first two were capped, such that when people 'SHOUT' it renders correctly also.

Alternatively, this could be one more option in what is at risk of becoming bloatware :-)

Congrats on a sensational hack.
    That seems like a very good way to do it. I'll have to look into how to know if it's in the middle of a word or not, but I think I can do it. Bloatware aside, I think it's best to make it an option, and not force it on anyone. I use the double click for the "option+key" and hold down for capitals (I do capitals less, and hold down takes longer), and I don't want to always prevent it from happening. That said, I think once it works, I'll switch and have double click be a capital.
    What do you double click to get the "option + key?
    Bob
  9.    #9  
    If you go to the preferences for KeyCapsHack, you can select Double Click (or hold down) to do the "option+key" command.

For example, double clicking (or holding) E would do $, R: /, T: * and so on.
    Thanks! I hadn't thought about preferences options.
    Bob