1.    #1  
    Has anyone seen a hack that will allow you to dial a given speed dial button by either pressing (holding?) the headset button or one of the arrow buttons?

If one does not exist, someone needs to write one!
    What's wrong with using the jog dial?
  3.    #3  
    When the Treo is in the holster, the jog dial is unavailable. What I would like to be able to do is use my retractable headset to activate the Treo and dial the voice command option. This way, I can operate the unit completely hands-free.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'm using the Jabra FreeSpeak. This would be something I would definitely pay for...
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    When the Treo is in the holster, the jog dial is unavailable. What I would like to be able to do is use my retractable headset to activate the Treo and dial the voice command option. This way, I can operate the unit completely hands-free.
    The Treo has a "voice command option"??
    Originally posted by ZeeZo

The Treo has a "voice command option"??
    No, it doesn't. I think what Joe Tampa is referring to is the "My Voice Command" service from SprintPCs.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

No, it doesn't. I think what Joe Tampa is referring to is the "My Voice Command" service from SprintPCs.
    Can you please elaborate. And how does this "My voice Command" work with the Treo.
    Originally posted by ZeeZo

Can you please elaborate. And how does this "My voice Command" work with the Treo.

Voice command is a $5. option. It allows you to use Word Recognition NOT voice recognition. you can tell it to dial a number or a person. It is a web based phone book that allows you to input up to 5 numbers for 500 different people using your computer. It works on any sprint phone. It is definintely one of the best products out their.
    Go to Sprintpcs.com to find out more about it.
    For a hack to be able to function, it has to be able to hack/trap something that the system sees. Things like button presses send a command of some kind to the OS which then takes care of it, or a hack traps it and does it's own thing. Well, I installed a hack called "EventAnalyzerHack" that will show a popup containing all the pertinent information for ANY event on the system, from tapping the screen anywhere (and everything that happens bcause of it) to pressing a button. It's actually quite an annoying hack when you only want to check one thing. But, I plugged in my headset and pressed the button and nothing happened. That means that the headset button doesn't count as any kind of button press, therefore there's nothing the Palm can do with it when it's not already specifically looking through the headset jack for a signal interruption (like when a call comes in). Since there isn't any event for pressing that button, there's nothing for a hack to trap. I'm quite sure that if it was possible at all, that an inventive hack author would have written something by now, especially with how many times people have asked for this very thing.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Well, then it should be possible to write a software that would continually check for the headset button press, like what happes when a call comes through?
    Originally posted by tuen
    Well, then it should be possible to write a software that would continually check for the headset button press, like what happes when a call comes through?
    I don't know. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what's possible. My guess is that the phone and headset jack is less part of the palm OS side of things than we would like it to be. It's entirely possible that the headset button is something completely controlled by the phone ROM and never touches the Palm OS, or can be touched by it.
    But heck, I'm like the rest of you. I think a hack that can respond to the headset button when not in a phone call (to answer or hang up) would kick ****. Even just triggering the dialing of a preselected number would be great.

-Greg
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I do exactly what you are looking to do on my Treo 300...here's how you do it:

The default speed dial page has "Voicemail" as the first icon in the upper left. All you do is move that over to the upper right icon and then create a "Voice Command" icon in the upper left where Voicemail was. Now just set the Voice Command icon to dial an asterisk (*)

Now, when you press the Jog Dial and you have a headset plugged in, you will automatically be connected to the Sprint Voice Command service...from there you are hands free...for instance, on my Jabra FreeSpeak I hit the "phone" icon to turn it on and use it, then to hang up the call I press that same button again...

I have used the phone this way from day one, and it is handy...you can put the "Voice Command" icon anywhere on your speed dial page, but then that involves more scrolling actions to get to it...just put it in the default, upper left location and all you have to do is hit jog dial to dial out...

Cool trick...

Hope this helps!
    CK
    Originally posted by cking

Now, when you press the Jog Dial and you have a headset plugged in, you will automatically be connected to the Sprint Voice Command service...
    Except he still needs to take the Treo out of his holster to do that, and he's looking for a way to get around that...

The default speed dial page has "Voicemail" as the first icon in the upper left. All you do is move that over to the upper right icon and then create a "Voice Command" icon in the upper left where Voicemail was. Now just set the Voice Command icon to dial an asterisk (*)
    how are you able to move/edit the default voicemail speed dial button? when i highlight it and go to the edit menu, i cannot modify any of the data.
    Last edited by missbliss; 01/16/2003 at 02:38 AM.
    nevermind, i did a search for how to move the voicemail button. spoke too soon, sorry

i also signed up for voice command and placed that in the primary speed dial location. so i'm good to go. i wish there was a way for retention to add it on to my retention plan...

p.s. is there really a way to enable voice command (*, Talk) by simply hitting the talk/end button on the headset?
    Last edited by missbliss; 01/16/2003 at 02:35 AM.
    Originally posted by missbliss
    p.s. is there really a way to enable voice command (*, Talk) by simply hitting the talk/end button on the headset?
    That's what this thread is all about, and it would seem that the answer is no. From the testing I've done, and the fact that such a hack does not already exist, it would seem to not be possible. Though I hope to be proven wrong someday.

-Greg
  17. dre
    Simple solutions for those who have the Handspring hoster and want to press the jog dial to call Voice Command:

1. Buy the new holster that allows access to jog dial:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/201-1.htm

2. Cut away the plastic covering the jog dial on the Handspring holster. I did this with a very sharp razor blade and everything seems to working fine. The plastic can be shaved away slowly and carefully leaving a cutout that looks similar to that in the holster sold by Seidio.

dre

Now, when you press the Jog Dial and you have a headset plugged in, you will automatically be connected to the Sprint Voice Command service...from there you are hands free...for instance, on my Jabra FreeSpeak I hit the "phone" icon to turn it on and use it, then to hang up the call I press that same button again...

CK
    How do you hang up? I was able to configure the Voice Command on the first button and use the jog dial to dial-out, however I am unable to hang up. The "phone" icon on the freespeak does not hang up. Pressing the jog dial also does not hang up. Ideas?
    Roger
    Have you programmed the freespeak to emulate the answer/end feature of the headset?
    http://jabra.com/fscs/NBFreeSpeak_EnhancedFeatures.html

Once this is set up it will allow you to disconnect the call by pressing the button on the headset.
    Thanks! I did not know that I had to change the seeting.
    Roger