1.    #1  
    Just bought a 270 yesterday. Like it so far.

However, the keyboard backlight seems to go off when I switch from the addressbook app to other apps like Datebook. Is there a way to keep the keyboard backlight on when I switch to the other apps?
    I'm happy to see you AND it's a Treo in my pocket!
    To turn on the keyboard light in other aplications you just have to double click the power button...
    Originally posted by paulweiss
    To turn on the keyboard light in other aplications you just have to double click the power button...
    ...which is tricky, as if you don't go fast enough (and also if you're too fast...), you will switch off the screen.
  4.    #4  
    Gracias
    I'm happy to see you AND it's a Treo in my pocket!
    Originally posted by dennis3232

...which is tricky, as if you don't go fast enough (and also if you're too fast...), you will switch off the screen.
    I've lost count of how many times i've tried to turn the backlight on to type in a URL in Blazer, and actually ended up turning the screen off and disconnecting my data call...ugh...
    Originally posted by clogoodie

I've lost count of how many times i've tried to turn the backlight on to type in a URL in Blazer, and actually ended up turning the screen off and disconnecting my data call...ugh...
    I'd plug my software (StayOnlineHack), but unfortunately it doesn't work with Blazer. Stupid Handspring...
    I really miss the vertical-stylus-swipe to turn the backlight on or off that used to be an option on my old original Palm. Someone should write a hack...
    Originally posted by metsfan

I'd plug my software (StayOnlineHack), but unfortunately it doesn't work with Blazer. Stupid Handspring...
    With GPRS, your'e not disconnected...so that works...until i realize that I dont want to pay another 20 bucks every month...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Go get GlowHack

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...035&prodID=518

It's an app that lets you turn on the backlight on the keyboard by default. I find that time feature very useful. With this installed, I can basically tell my Treo to keep the keyboard backlight on at night when openning the flip and do the regular thing during the day. If you want to have the keyboard always lit, you can do that too.
    How does this affect battery? Say if I set it for evenings but most evenings I play a game (among other things) for an hour. Will it hurt the battery life?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Doesn't effect battery life. If you notice, when you actually manage to get the double-press to work, the Treo dims the screen and lights the keyboard. I can't say that I've hooked an oscilloscope up and tested this, but I'd wager that the dim screen and backlit keyboard draw as much power as the screen at full tilt.
    You all are so smart. Thanks a lot. I'll try it.
    Originally posted by KKenna
    I can't say that I've hooked an oscilloscope up and tested this, but I'd wager that the dim screen and backlit keyboard draw as much power as the screen at full tilt.
    You don't need a 'scope...

On the apps launcher screen press and hold the UP button and hold the stylus at the very top, center of the screen (next to the time display). A small list pops up showing the battery status and current drain. My treo pulls about 125 mW under normal conditions and radio off. If the backlight is on, the drain jumps to 1225 mW - almost 10 times the current! So although the screen dims, the keyboard lights are a killer.

Michael
    I know you guys are smart...Im removing that hack as we speak Lord knows you dont need any extra battery drainage on this unit. Thanks a lot.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    The best solution is the Multi Backlight Hack, which lets you turn the backlight on and off with the contrast button. Download it at http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...0&platformId=1
    My backlight keeps coming on at random.

It happens as often as every 1 or 2 minutes. The biggest problem is that it runs the battery down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any ideas as to solutions? Do I need to replace the unit?

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Mine did this, then the backlight for the keyboard went out completely. (Yes, I know how to turn the light on.) I'll probably need to send it back for repair. I thought about doing a hard reset in case this was a software problem, but I haven't had the time to re-install all my software if I do. Anyone else have this problem or found a solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulweiss
    Just letting you know how handy these posts are, even almost 2 years later. I've owned my 270 for ages and never figured out that double clicking keeps the keyboard light on. Guess my skill at blind touch typing the keyboard will now become extinct.
    Heh. It's never too late to learn something new. Have fun!