Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like the rumors have preceded the release, and unlike some people's perception it is not called Ambrosia. .

We are pleased to announce limited Beta availability of VeriChat™, a unified messaging solution. This product has been optimized for the Treo.

For a chance to participate in this program, please visit:
    http://www.pdaapps.com/verichat/default.html
    Last edited by PDAapps; 12/07/2002 at 06:23 PM.
    I hope that I am selected!
    a2rob
    Tell you what - I'll buy the application regardless. Let me help test it, I'll give you money - period - no questions asked. I'll name a first child after you. I'll give you a finger. whatever. ;-)

In all seriousness, however, I will certainly pay for the privelage of both testing this and using it NOW NOW NOW NOW!

Signed,

Impatient (aka Lee)
    Lee Ladisky
    You mean I dont have to keep switching between palmmsn and aim all day Whooo - Hoooo.

That is of course if I am selected for the beta

from-Loving and Long time(months r a long time to a fruit fly) client of PDAapps
    Last edited by PFSCHAMPION; 12/07/2002 at 11:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PDAapps
    We are pleased to announce limited Beta availability of VeriChat™, a unified messaging solution. This product has been optimized for the Treo.
    Really looking forward to see what you've done - I've been playing today with both AIM and MSN on my Treo. I use all 4 chat programs, but have a real need for both of these - and it will be very interesting to see this new product.

What is your beta "timeframe" do you think?

Thanks.

Danita
    I've signed up to beta test. Here's hoping I'm selected! This is seriously going to be a killer app!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I too would PAY to be part of this beta!!! Please, please select me!!!

tl
    hopefully this will be a great solution...a completely necessary product for the evolution of these devices....happy spidey wasnt all wet...was starting to doubt him completely...and yeah pdaapps...will pay up front if u want
    Is this unified messenger going to include Yahoo, MSN, Aol... all of those?
    It seems that, for Treo 300 users, you need to have Treo300SMS installed in order for it to work. If Verichat is around $20, like some of the other PDAapps aplications, and you don't have Treo300SMS, purchasing both will end up costing you around $40, which is a little steep for a Palm App.

Here's hoping that, when PDAapps finally releases the program, that they provide some sort of package deal for purchasing both.
    I noticed on the beta page it only mentions Yahoo! and MSN. I suspect those may be the only two protocols at the moment, as suggested by previous posts in another thread.

Geoffrey

Added: I now see that they reference AIM and ICQ on the beta participation request form. I hope that means they've got all 4.
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    It seems that, for Treo 300 users, you need to have Treo300SMS installed in order for it to work. If Verichat is around $20, like some of the other PDAapps aplications, and you don't have Treo300SMS, purchasing both will end up costing you around $40, which is a little steep for a Palm App.
    If you have a 270, you pay $3 a month for 500 SMS messages and a dime (or is it a nickel?) over that. So if you sum up the IMs you send and recieve over the month, you can see how much you'd pay with a 270. Even if you stay below the 500/month after 14 months you're ahead with this combo. When you factor in how much more you actually want to IM, a one-off $40 isn't bad. Of course if they start charging a subscription (which is allowed under the Treo300SMS licensing agreement) this is no longer the case.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    If you have a 270, you pay $3 a month for 500 SMS messages and a dime (or is it a nickel?) over that. So if you sum up the IMs you send and recieve over the month, you can see how much you'd pay with a 270. Even if you stay below the 500/month after 14 months you're ahead with this combo. When you factor in how much more you actually want to IM, a one-off $40 isn't bad. Of course if they start charging a subscription (which is allowed under the Treo300SMS licensing agreement) this is no longer the case.
    Ahh - well, if this is an SMS front end for Yahoo and MSN I don't know if I will use it much. While my Treo was inoperable (almost a month, but my laziness and not Handspring's problem) I used SMS for AIM on my backup phone and racked up a $150 SMS bill <g>.

Danita
    I hope it has the abilty within Yahoo to start a chat with a differnt user profile other than the master . I chat to differnt people with different profile. and with the yahoo chat I had nomatter what I did it would always use the master profile
    Anyone use this yet? I have the beta downloaded and installed - it works pretty well. Only for Yahoo and MSN, though, no AIM. It's definitely a SMS frontend. Works as advertised.
    give me a try - mpclark98 on yahoo...
  17.    #17  
    We were debating whether to quash the rumors floating around about how our application works. But now after seeing the TreoCentral main page, we decided to give in..

We will be supporting all four major services, i.e. MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and ICQ. In our latest Beta build, MSN and Yahoo are supported. AIM and ICQ are still in the alpha phase, but after seeing the beta, you can see that our application is really designed for supporting multiple protocols.

The other rumor that our application is just a SMS front-end to all these services is not correct either. Actually, our system is a hybrid between the always connected and the SMS form, giving the users the best of both worlds. It uses PCS-Vision/GPRS or any other data connection you have most of the time, but when the user is away or using another application, then the message uses SMS as a transport -- this is transparent to the user. The user will still just get a VeriChat popup with optimized inputs and while replying it would be using the data connection not SMS.

There are many other exciting features specially tuned for a mobile device, but we are not going to spill all the beans . Stay tuned...

-PDAapps
    Originally posted by PDAapps
    The other rumor that our application is just a SMS front-end to all these services is not correct either. Actually, our system is a hybrid between the always connected and the SMS form, giving the users the best of both worlds. It uses PCS-Vision/GPRS or any other data connection you have most of the time, but when the user is away or using another application, then the message uses SMS as a transport -- this is transparent to the user. The user will still just get a VeriChat popup with optimized inputs and while replying it would be using the data connection not SMS.
    I knew it! I suspected something like that...using the right tool for the right job.

I'm impressed. You guys rock. Please take my money.
    Since you are here and posting, maybe you can give us an estimated timeline? I (like many others) feel the need for this program so greatly that I am willing to pay before even trying to product. Needless to say, we feel instant messaging a major shortcoming of the treo (at least I do).

So, if I don't get chosen for testing the beta, how long do you anticipate having to wait before a final release is available? Are we talking weeks or months?

Thanks! And keep up the good work.
    Originally posted by grim02
    Anyone use this yet? I have the beta downloaded and installed - it works pretty well. Only for Yahoo and MSN, though, no AIM. It's definitely a SMS frontend. Works as advertised.
    Is the program available somewhere publically? Or were you accepted for the beta program?

I submitted my application within an hour of getting an email from PDAapps about the beta program (I had emailed them beforehand asking to join....I'd love to test this out with medical residents where I work, and so would they!). But haven't heard anything yet.

Hope I make the "cut"...and good luck to everyone else, too...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast