Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm really confused, so if someone can help me out, it would be great and very much appreciated.

I signed up for beta testing the day PDAapps posted it was open for testing. I signed up maybe 2 hours after they had their posting. I saw people started posting on this thread as they got to be beta-testers, so I figured I missed the boat.

Then, this afternoon (around 4pm PST), I receive an e-mail from PDA apps with Version 0.21b prc attached to the e-mail (not zipped up, just prc alone). Needless to say, I'm fired up that I received it. Then, a couple hours ago, I receive Version 0.3b, in the same fashion, just the prc attached to e-mail.

I haven't really played w/ it because I'm super busy with work, but, I come here to get more info on it and see that Treo300SMS V.0.5 came with it. I never got that. Was there an initial file sent out when beta first came out a few days ago that included this? I seem to be missing something (perhaps their first e-mail), or somehow got thrown into the beta group.

I would really appreciate if someone can explain this to me. What did you all initially receive from them?

Thanks,

Glenn
    They required Treo300SMS v0.5 in v0.1b, but I think then they merged the required functionality into the VeriChat binary after 0.2b. So, I think that is why you got the thing without Treo300SMS.

I guess they are gradually increasing the size of their Beta program.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Pete123, thanks for the turbo fast reply. And, Thanks for explaining the situation, that makes sense. But, did you guys get any documentation w/ 0.1b? I don't have any. Or is it as is? Thanks.

So have you taken out Treo300SMS v.0.5? And, I do have 0.4 installed so i should be o.k.?

I really appreciate it!

Glenn
    When I had asked PDAapps about documentation, they told me that they had deliberately left out the documentation so that they get good usability feedback.

I guess it makes sense -- you don't get documentation, you ask them questions on how to do things, and if they get such questions then they know that the UI is not self explaining
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Thanks again Pete123! Maybe that's why Snappermail also has no documentation. Very Logical, thanks man,

Glenn
    I have been using the latest version (with AIM) for about 5 hours or so now, and I have noticed that eventually it will kick me off AIM and even MSN sometimes. The only way I notice is by looking at my PC, I can see that my treo has logged off... I have somewhat of a feeling this isn't their client, but has to do with their server. Anyone else find that they cannot maintain a constant connection? Even so, its leaps and bounds beyond the AIM client.

I am amazed at how quickly they are progressing. Three updates in less than 24 hours? WOW!
    Kicking me off after a little while....
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Same here with Yahoo. Kicks me out randomly. And sometimes my Treo will wake up on the custom SMS, other times it won't.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I didnt receive SMS messages at first when I was in another application other than verichat.

I took out TreoSMS and reinstalled it and it's working now.

Not sure if that was a coincidence or not.
    Last edited by njchris; 12/16/2002 at 07:14 AM.
    Keep in mind as well that the data connection, which Verichat requires for YOU as the user to stay hooked up to the VC servers, is very flaky lately. So - if your VC connection goes, you might check your data connection (although, it seems more and more that the Treo can THINK it still has a data connection, with the grey bars and all, but the connection is actually lost - you have to shut down the connection manually and reconnect.). The point is that Verichat, perhaps, is just the victim of a fragile data thread.

But - even if your local connection is lost, the VC servers are still logged in on your behalf (proxied) to the IM servers, and other IM users should still see you as active (which can be both a good and bad thing - they think you're there, when you're really not connected at your local device, which can be bad, but they can still IM you and you'll get the SMS alerts, which might be good).

Verichat is highly dependent on a solid data connection, for you as the user to manage things effectively, and lately Sprint has not been delivering a stable data side of things.
    Possible, but this is actually kicking me of the Yahoo servers. It shouldn't do that. I also have a 180 with GPRS.
    Yeah, i think the idea is that reguardless of your treo's connectivity, PDApps servers will stay logged into the AOL/MSN/Yahoo's servers for you, even if your data connection goes. What I am noticing is that when I log in, and turn my treo off, eventually it looks like their servers are getting booted off AOL/MSN. I can tell this by looking at my PC and seeing that my treo is no longer logged in.
    seems to be keeping me connected now.... it only happened after the install last night. Works GREAT
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    <sigh> They haven't contacted me for beta testing. Oh well.

Geoffrey
    Yup, I agree, I have been connected all morning! Great stuff PDApps!

They keep fixing the bugs before I get a chance to send them an e-mail about it
    I too was accepted yesterday, and had the disconnect issues. I sent an email about it and was told that it was due to their intentionall crashing the server to test the effect on client connections. It got quite stable a little while later.
    zbose - you said this:

"What I am noticing is that when I log in, and turn my treo off, eventually it looks like their servers are getting booted off AOL/MSN. I can tell this by looking at my PC and seeing that my treo is no longer logged in."

For Yahoo (can't say for AOL and MSN), the dialog box on my PC that tells me I have "been disconnected as I've logged in via another device" is the same box I used to get on my PC when I used the wireless Yahoo app on my old PalmVx/Omnisky combo, and then with my 6035. My point is that anytime you access your account via a different method, you should get that dialog box. I don't <think> it necessarily means that Verichat has lost its connection, at least not back at the PDAApps servers. The key is if any of your IM buddies still show you as logged on at their desks/phones/whatever.

My point is I don't think your PC is an accurate indication of whether you're truly logged in, since you should see that same "you've been logged off" dialog box whenever you access your IM via Verichat, anyway.

I've confused mySELF now.

18.    #78  
    Part of it was intentional, and part of it was because of a bug we introduced into the server.

Intentional, because we wanted to know if any crashes happened at the client if we restarted the server or the client experience connectivity issues.

The server is much stable now, thought we might upgrade it sometime again in the day.

Enjoy!!
    -PDAapps
    Originally posted by nrosser

My point is I don't think your PC is an accurate indication of whether you're truly logged in, since you should see that same "you've been logged off" dialog box whenever you access your IM via Verichat, anyway.

I think we are mis-understanding each other. When I say I use my PC to judge whether I have been disconnected or not, it is because I have multiple AIM/MSN accounts. EX: My pc is zbose_pc@hotmail.com and my treo is zbose_treo@hotmail.com. This is so that I don't log myself off when I am using my treo, and so I can message myself for testing purposes.

What this allows me to see, which is what you are pointing out, is how OTHER people who have me on their buddy lists see my online status.

So what I was noticing last night, is that my treo would be sitting there charging, and zbose_treo would suddenly not be online anymore (from zbose_pc's point of view). When this happened, I of course couldn't send it any IMs. So I would go to log back in and zbose_treo would pop back up online again.

Anyway, it sounds like they are on top of it and I have been logged in all morning and loving it.

RE PDAapps: No crashes on my client, just some confusion on my part

-zb
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Hey thought I'd chime in again...

Does anyone else get the HTML code from messages? I get the <body> tags and all ...

maybe I'll reset and see what happens..
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast