Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Oops, I meant mpclark02 on Yahoo...

I realize my last post wasn't very enthusiastic - the program is really neat! Sorry to give out false information. When I'm in a different application than, I am still listed as active, and if I am IM'd by someone, I get a SMS message from Sprint to check my PCS mail (set it up that way on the Sprint site) and use it as my cue to go into Verichat.

The PDA Apps folks sent me the beta via e-mail - wow, they're fast. Working on a weekend, too...
    OK, so now I switched it to send the SMS to my messaging.sprintpcs.com (direct to the phone) instead of the @sprintpcs.com mail address. Naturally, that's the better way to set it up (and the way PDA Apps says to set it up in the instructions, was too excited to read them right away) - when I get an IM now, it goes through SMS and then I jump onto VeriChat - very cool!
    Last edited by grim02; 12/08/2002 at 07:47 PM.
    This sounds AWESOME!!! I'd gladly pay for the chance to beta test it, and would fork over $$ without even seeing the program - the approach cited above is exactly what the Treo needs for IM functionality. About time someone got smart & figured it out!
    And, when you do get that incoming SMS message, you can type your response and click the button labeled "chat" and you go straight to an active VeriChat! Very cool!
    I just got this in the mail

VeriChat beta requires SMS functionality on the phone. Since there is no SMS functionality built-in in the Treo300, we require the user with a Treo 300 to have Treo300SMS. Future releases may or may not require this functionality.

Thank you for your interest in beta testing VeriChat.

-PDAapps
    edwarto,

I got that too. I guess we will have to shell out some big bucks to use this.
    I also received an email from PDAApps a short time ago and since I was only really concerned with AIM, they will be sending me a future build as the first beta release does not yet support AIM.
    I just got a copy of Verichat, AND IT ROCKS! Damn my freinds for not being awake at midnight so I can play with it more sending IMs to and from myself with my Treo in one hand and my notebook in the other ain't the most fun experience.

Now comes the sociology experiment. I get IMs at 1:00am when people see I am online, but would never get a phone call at that time "just to chat". Will having this thing on all the time make me turn my ringer off at night (which I don't want to do in case of real emergencies). Like everything in high tech, solving the technical issues is always easier than solving the people issues.
    Might I get a copy as well? (Already submitted a form) Sitting in an analyst meeting right now and they don't get why you would want 3G on your phone. Demoing this would help convince them.
    I've installed the beta, and wonder how the recent problems with Sprint's data connection will affect this app (should be always on, but it's more like off-and-on, and staying off, lately). I'll ask the PdaApps beta team this as well, but won't VeriChat only work when the Treo's data connection is active? Meaning, only when the data connection is live will other IM users see me as online?

Am I making sense?
    The only part that seems to use the SMS is when someone IM's you. It notifies you that they are trying to chat, then you can choose to open the chat window or not.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Originally posted by PDAapps
    It uses PCS-Vision/GPRS or any other data connection you have most of the time, but when the user is away or using another application, then the message uses SMS as a transport -- this is transparent to the user.
    What happens when someone disconnects their Treo from data access (Vision for example)? Does that place them "offline" or will they still remain "Online" on the messaging networks? My gut says they probably just go offline.

*still hoping to beta test*
    From what I understand so far, VeriChat logs onto the Yahoo server for you. If you lose your connection with Vision, you are still seen as logged in to other folks. If they try to chat with you, you are sent a SMS message that states "Yahoo-message-from <YahooID>: message text". You can then click "OK" or "Delete". Since you know it's a Yahoo message, you then have to switch over to VeriChat. Everytime to start VeriChat from the launcher, you sign into Yahoo, but since the VeriChat server still has you logged in, you rejoin your session(s) without others ever seeing you as logged out, even though you weren't actively logged in to Yahoo. Or not.....
    Originally posted by grim02
    From what I understand so far, VeriChat logs onto the Yahoo server for you. If you lose your connection with Vision, you are still seen as logged in to other folks. If they try to chat with you, you are sent a SMS message that states "Yahoo-message-from <YahooID>: message text". You can then click "OK" or "Delete". Since you know it's a Yahoo message, you then have to switch over to VeriChat. Everytime to start VeriChat from the launcher, you sign into Yahoo, but since the VeriChat server still has you logged in, you rejoin your session(s) without others ever seeing you as logged out, even though you weren't actively logged in to Yahoo. Or not.....
    grim02,

Since you are seeing the unformatted SMS message, you probably don't have the special version of Treo300SMS that they sent you installed, or maybe you did not disable the old version before installing the new one. If you did, you would not see that SMS message, but instead a VeriChat popup that is correctly formatted. I've been through this myself.

One more thing I found out -- when you have VeriChat active, all communication. is over the 3G connection. If you are in some other application, or in a call, communication. is via SMS.
    Here's what PDAApps had to say about my question to what happens when the data connection dies (as it does so often lately with Sprint)

If your connection dies you are still online and visible to others. If
    someone sends you a message at that time, you will see it as a popup
    in whatever application you are running.

Try it-- lounch VeriChat and then go to datebook. Then shutdown your
    connection manually and have someone else send you an IM.

The only time you are actually logged off MSN or Y! is when you login
    from elsewhere.
    treo_fanatic-

I tried to install the version of Treo300SMS they sent me with the beta, but it caused my Treo to lock up everytime I got a SMS message. For instance, if I was in the calendar, my phone would do the SMS beep and vibrate, but the screen would freeze and I would have to do a soft reset. I guess you didn't have that problem. I first installed the new Treo300SMS, authenticated it, and then installed and auth'd Verichat. Any suggestions?
    If this indeed will show the outside world that you're always available, whether you 'truly' are or not, then they definitely need to add the capability for custom status messages like the desktop client - "On the Phone", "Out to Lunch", etc. The old Palm version had those canned ones and also had the ability for whatever you wanted to put.

I sent their beta team this suggestion as well. We'll see what happens...
    Never mind about the messages - they have that (of course - these guys have their s*** together). It's the icon on the top right of the screen - the smiley guy. Tap that, and a dropdown box has the various canned messages (no place for a custom one, though - maybe that's asking too much)...
    Hmph, my problem seems to have fixed itself. I agree, the PDAapps folks really have their act together. Very cool to have the specialized version of Treo300SMS working...excellent.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    After using this all morning, I am now unable to sign into Yahoo! Anyone else having this problem ?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast