Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I don't understand. Why would anyone use Ringo? Why not just use (for free) Palm Midi Desktop? Why do you guys need Ringo? I'm loading my ringtones with PMD only. I've never even downloaded Ringo. Am I missing something?
    I never used PMD. I bought a bunch a ringtones and I'm not sure how I would put them in treo without ringo. Sure would like to know though.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mrgarza
    I never used PMD. I bought a bunch a ringtones and I'm not sure how I would put them in treo without ringo. Sure would like to know though.
    There are about ten threads on this discussion list on this topic. Here's one I started.
    but the tones I bought are not midi files. they are a whole bunch of tones in a file. I got it from palm gear. Ringo is not stable so If I can use the ring tones with out it I will be happy
    Ringo is needed because it is currently the only way to transfer the polyphonic ring tones to the CDMA chip on a Treo300. The ringtones need to get moved from the standard sound file on the "Palm Device" to the proprietary chip on the Treo300 that produces the sound during a ring.

(Unless I'm totally missing something else here)...

--
    bry

And I was...totally misinturpreting Ringo as pointed out by Skido below...
    Last edited by Bryan Nystrom; 12/06/2002 at 03:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    Ringo is needed because it is currently the only way to transfer the polyphonic ring tones to the CDMA chip on a Treo300. The ringtones need to get moved from the standard sound file on the "Palm Device" to the proprietary chip on the Treo300 that produces the sound during a ring.

(Unless I'm totally missing something else here)...

--
    bry
    Sorry, but you are totally missing something. See this thread.
    No I'm not.. Ringo is a mystical magical piece of the equation that causes a disturbance in the force if removed from your light saber.

Oh, we're not talking about the Treo300 Light Saber

Actually, I really must have misinturpreted what Ringo was doing. Since I don't use any other feature of Ringo other than for what I thought was to transfer the sounds, I guess it is no longer needed in my setup (and I won't have to worry about it disconnecting my calls when I try to pick up via the headset anymore )

Skidoo,

Thanks for the informative link. I'll be trying it out later today!

Actually, it sounds like Ringo is only needed if you want to "merge" MIDI .pdb files with the System MIDI sound files on the palm device itself. It sounds like your "method" in the link updates the system MIDI file on the desktop (right?)!

--
    bry
    Last edited by Bryan Nystrom; 12/06/2002 at 03:28 PM.
    Ringo does some other things as well...like the ability to map JPG images to specific callers. BTW, I have never had a problem with Ringo on my 300.
    The reason I can see for using Ringo is that you are able to delete the custom ringtones if you ever want to. Using PMD to edit the MIDI_Ring_Tones files makes it permanant until someone figures out where the ringtones are actually stored.

A few reason NOT to use Ringo are that it's not compatible with TreoCallerID and it's NOT free.
    i agree you can import into the midi ringtones database easily. i like being able to associate pictures with people that ringo does. but also let's face it, working with palm midi desktop and backups of databases is beyond a lot of folks and if you can get ringo for a few bucks they will be perfectly happy.

i was surprised at how many people in one of the threads i was in on ringtones thought palm midi desktop was hard and clunky. i thought it was simple and effective.

then there is the whole other issue that palmgsm is not getting at all. its one thing to be able to get a ringtone into your system. its quite another to introduce artistic/musical sense as to what would make a decent ringtone into the equation...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    It sounds like your "method" in the link updates the system MIDI file on the desktop (right?)!
    Well, it updates the Treo's MIDI database. Then you synch the updated database to the device. This makes the ringers available to the phone.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by slffl
    The reason I can see for using Ringo is that you are able to delete the custom ringtones if you ever want to. Using PMD to edit the MIDI_Ring_Tones files makes it permanant until someone figures out where the ringtones are actually stored.
    Editing MIDI_Ring_Tones with PMD doesn't make the ringers permanently installed. No, I explained in an earlier message (on another thread) that it will leave your last selected custom ringtone around, but this can be removed by simply replacing MIDI_Ring_Tones with a new version.
    10 years later I finanlly got this dang this to work without using ringo. Thanks skidoo,aaron12 and all the other too numberous to mention.

quick question- I can use these rings as my (known/unknown callers or as individual caller id) or does it have to be individual only ??

BTW I used filez to backup midi_ring_tones.pdb to my pc first then imported the midi file to it.

My first ring was "It wasn't me". I know the song is a year old, but i'm still trying to find a good MIDI site there are like thousands.