Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of an app or function that will enable me to send SMS messages to groups of people rather than to one at a time?
    Originally posted by pwf1972
    Does anyone know of an app or function that will enable me to send SMS messages to groups of people rather than to one at a time?
    Yes... MaxTEXT will do it.

It actually blows away the inbuilt SMS app and has functions, such as Group Messaging (GM is found on the cheapest and most basic phones - why it's not in the Treo SMS app, I don't know).

Another nice feature is you can Hotsync your messages to your Palm Desktop and actually read them You can also compose messages in Palm Desktop.

You can Trial it for two weeks (make sure you install the Treo version).
    I just Tried " funSMS - English 3.2.0 "
    and It is workig with my Treo 270 like charm...

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=6169
    Originally posted by alkandery75
    I just Tried " funSMS - English 3.2.0 "
    and It is workig with my Treo 270 like charm...

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=6169
    Hello alkandery,

I think that "charm" called funSMS -> is not that sexy.
    Having tested both - I bought maxTEXT and I love it !

why ? - back to the start question:
    Does funSMS run 10 independent unlimited groups for group-SMSing like maxTEXT does ? Does it dial out for phoning ?
    2 * No.

Do I like the clumsy funSMS interface ?
    No.

I like the more sexy maxTEXT chicken.

Have the max or the fun - what ever you do.
    My guess: have both with maxTEXT.

Phil
    (always biassed by quality)
    i like maxtext but here r the pros & cons:

Pros:
    - can send SMS to multiple recipients
    - UI is not bad
    - u can also make a voice call from the same screen

Cons:
    - the biggest disadvantage is that u cannot send a msg to an email address. Native SMS on Treo 270 can do that.

- the list of people u want to send a msg is static. the list has to be predefined. for some people it may be ok but i find it less useful. its like sending email only to group lists!!!
    Originally posted by muralin
    i like maxtext but here r the pros & cons:

Pros:
    - can send SMS to multiple recipients
    - UI is not bad
    - u can also make a voice call from the same screen

Cons:
    - the biggest disadvantage is that u cannot send a msg to an email address. Native SMS on Treo 270 can do that.

- the list of people u want to send a msg is static. the list has to be predefined. for some people it may be ok but i find it less useful. its like sending email only to group lists!!!
    Hmmm... you are not correct.

1. YES , you can send email SMS via MaxTEXT - I do it all the time. It's exactly the same process as the native SMS app. Remember, this is not a 'feature' as such, of the Treo SMS app or MaxTEXT. It's service provider specific (I am with Swisscom).

2. The 'static' list, as you call it, is your buddy list and it is static and yes, you do have to predefine it. That is the whole point, except you can have a lot more buddies than the native SMS app which only shows the last few people you sent to.

3. MaxTEXT has access to your addressbook, just like the native SMS app so you can actually send to anyone just as seamlessly.

Not wanting to sound obtuse but please be careful about posting comments that are incorrect and which may discourage people from evaluating/purchasing an otherwise good product.
    Last edited by nzmoko; 12/09/2002 at 09:55 AM.
    cant send to an email address using maxtext

how do i send to multiple people using the addressbook in 1 shot?
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by nzmoko
    [B]

Hmmm... you are not correct.

1. YES , you can send email SMS via MaxTEXT - I do it all the time. It's exactly the same process as the native SMS app. Remember, this is not a 'feature' as such, of the Treo SMS app or MaxTEXT. It's service provider specific (I am with Swisscom).

Please clarify. Does this mean I can send an email to a pre-defined E-mail Group like I can from a desktop using Outlook Express? If so how is the Group saved for future use? I just can't understand why the palm OS Contacts and none of the enhancement pieces like KeyContacts do not support Groups?

Eric
    cant send to an email address using maxtext

how do i send to multiple people using the addressbook in 1 shot?

Hey guys,

I can also confirm it works fine - I send 2 - 40 emails a day via maxtext and all arrived perfect until now.

Someone stated maxtext couldnt send Emails - thats wrong.

Remember: It works just the same way it is working on my single Nokia, or any other SMS enabled phone ...always stuff is sent to the SMS-Email-Gateway of the given provider - btw like all SMS-clients on planet do.
    (btw - as well as the Treo SMS app does)

Please first check the details before you blame a real neat tool - yes you can send Email by maxtext simple like clicking a button / any SMS client can send email / but only IF THE GIVEN PROVIDER supports it.

Or said this way:
    If no gateway is existing at your provider - then no email transfer is possible -
    valid for all /maxtext/treo base/ sms apps using gsm.

Regards Phil

;-)) PS:
    " The problem is very often to find in front of the system - not the system itself." *
    * Thomas A. Edison

So - now how brown cow:

k - the epic details - your Treo SMS app also needs to have (and if it is working has) a Center-Number for SMS-To-Email configured - (see Settings) -> to exact that number you also send Email when sending via maxTEXT.

Check your given provider settings / requirements as these details are 100 % provider-specific.
    Last edited by Phil1164; 12/09/2002 at 07:41 PM.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by BallCoach
    [B]
    Originally posted by nzmoko

Please clarify. Does this mean I can send an email to a pre-defined E-mail Group like I can from a desktop using Outlook Express? If so how is the Group saved for future use? I just can't understand why the palm OS Contacts and none of the enhancement pieces like KeyContacts do not support Groups?

Eric
    Me either
    Yes, it's possible to define an email group although the process is slightly messy and not too intuitive.

The simplest way to see if the product is right for you is to try it. I believe the trial period is two weeks.

The great thing about MaxTEXT is the support from the team. I have made a request for several enhancements, including better management of groups (for email too).
    Had feedback from MaxTEXT support and they raise a good point:

Why would anyone want to SMS email to a group when SMS Email is twice (and sometimes 3x) the price of a standard SMS - with some European providers anyway.

Isn't POP3 email enough?

What is your service provider charging you to send SMS to their email gateway?
    can someone tell me how I can send an SMS message to an email address using maxtext? I am in the US and TMobile allows me to send an sms msg to an email address. i know how to do this using the native SMS sw. want to know how I can do it with maxText. thx.
    can someone tell me how I can send an SMS message to an email address using maxtext? I am in the US and TMobile allows me to send an sms msg to an email address. i know how to do this using the native SMS sw. want to know how I can do it with maxText. thx.
    Me too!
    And BTW nzmoko, it is VERY useful to use SMS for email purpose because it functions as "push" mail (you do not have to retrieve the mail as you do with POP email clients).
    So: How do you send email with MaxText via T-Mobile?
    m00se
    Originally posted by m00se

Me too!
    And BTW nzmoko, it is VERY useful to use SMS for email purpose because it functions as "push" mail (you do not have to retrieve the mail as you do with POP email clients).
    So: How do you send email with MaxText via T-Mobile?
    m00se
    I hear you m00se. I actually do send email SMS even though my provider charges a fortune for the luxury

For Swisscom, I put the number 555 in the number field.
    I put their email address in the body followed by a space and then I type the message and send.
    Last edited by nzmoko; 01/30/2003 at 04:08 AM.

I hear you m00se. I actually do send email SMS even though my provider charges a fortune for the luxury

For Swisscom, I put the number 555 in the number field.
    I put their email address in the body followed by a space and then I type the message and send.
    Thanks!
    m00se

OK muralin, and anyone who's interested in sending messages to email addresses with MaxText in the USA using T-Mobile--------------->

1. Put the number 500 in the number field.
    2. Put the email address (to whomever you are sending the message to) in the "body" field, follow by a space, and then write your message.
    3. Click "send" and woalaaaa...

One thing though. Although my treo crashed once with the process above, the rest of the times (I sent about 7 emails) the transaction worked great.

m00se
    A quick question to nzmoko,
    Can MaxText replace the default SMS in the Treo? Can I delete the SMS that my Treo came with and make MaxText the default one?
    Thanks,
    m00se
    Originally posted by m00se
    A quick question to nzmoko,
    Can MaxText replace the default SMS in the Treo? Can I delete the SMS that my Treo came with and make MaxText the default one?
    Thanks,
    m00se
    Hey M00se

I thought of this already and to answer your question, Yes and No.

maxTEXT could replace it as it actually functions separately from the native Treo sms app and even has its own database.

Unfortuantely, the native Treo SMS app resides in flashable ROM so you can't delete it (unless someone has other ideas about this).

Hey M00se

I thought of this already and to answer your question, Yes and No.

maxTEXT could replace it as it actually functions separately from the native Treo sms app and even has its own database.

Unfortuantely, the native Treo SMS app resides in flashable ROM so you can't delete it (unless someone has other ideas about this).
    Thanks much for all the help, nzmoko
    I'll post a new thread about that issue.
    m00se
    This is a great forum and I'm so glad I came across it. I just started using a 270 and am very pleased with it so far. My only concern was the SMS feature because i'm used to the routine of storing the important messages from my Nokia celphone to my laptop thru IR everyday - I also manage messages by sending and receiving SMS with my laptop while its connected to the phone. Is this convenience possible with the 270?

Btw, I tried Maxtext for Treo and I havent been able to get it to work. At the point of "getting inbox", after a few seconds a "fatal alert" message appears and it has to reset. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it but the same thing happens. Can this be because my inbox presently has a lot of messages or is something wrong with my unit? Anyone have similar experiences?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast