Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks Ricky for the file. I installed it but with no luck. For some reason I just can't get Ringo to work anymore. The funny thing is it used to work fine and did so for almost a month before it became erratic and would work once in a while. But now it never works and no I have not installed anything new to my Treo. Atleast I am not having any crashes.

Sanjay
    Originally posted by sgruby

One of the main reasons, I believe, that you are having problems with Ringo and the picture ID stuff is that Ringo uses hacks and explicitly does things that the unit is not designed to do. While many hacks can be made stable, it takes more effort. TC Ringer does not use ANY hacks and therefore can easily be made more stable.

I don't see picture caller ID coming to TC Ringer anytime soon as it would destabilize a very stable product.

(I'm the author of TC Ringer, so I know how it works.)
    Now that I have happily switched from buggy Ringo to bugfree TCRinger, I am wondering whether there is a separate and stable program which will call up pictures of selected (family) callers on incoming calls, the way Ringo did.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by DHAnderson
    Alas, I last heard from Electic Pocket in November. I've sent them several e-mails, but heard nothing after they advised me to try 3.1e. As many of you have said, what a disaster!
    After an earlier thread that I posted regarding problems I had with a much earlier version of Ringo, someone from Electric Pocket contacted me and asked a question of which I couldn't make any sense.
    I replied asking to be more specific and since I haven't got any news.
    It must have been in September 2002.

Nevertheless I kept hoping and religiously tried their new versions one after the other - feeling that they go from bad to worst.

Why don't they do what people from 2banywhere (Email service)do, for instance:
    Give you the app for free while it's being developed and beta-tested. That way you don't feel cheated when you encounter a problem.
    You even are happy to give them feed back because you feel fairly treated.

People like Electric Pocket or iDial (another very bad experience) give a bad name to on-line shopping.
    Anybody dare installing the Ringo 3.1f ????? I did !!!
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by Ricky3333
    So... Tell us, tell us!
    What's the verdict????
    Originally posted by Ricky3333
    i just installed it and will test it out. Iain said that he identified and fixed the fatal error bug. hope he's right.
  7.    #27  
    Let's hope he's right!
    I also installed the update.
    Let's see...
    Originally posted by sgruby

One of the main reasons, I believe, that you are having problems with Ringo and the picture ID stuff is that Ringo uses hacks and explicitly does things that the unit is not designed to do. While many hacks can be made stable, it takes more effort. TC Ringer does not use ANY hacks and therefore can easily be made more stable.

I don't see picture caller ID coming to TC Ringer anytime soon as it would destabilize a very stable product.

(I'm the author of TC Ringer, so I know how it works.)
    Hi SGruby!

Would TCRinger work with TreoPictureID installed? I actually think TreoPictureID's interface is really easy to use (much easier than Ringo's), and if TC Ringer will work in conjunction with TreoPictureID, it would be a great combo.

Has this been tested yet?
    Originally posted by chuhsi

i just installed it and will test it out. Iain said that he identified and fixed the fatal error bug. hope he's right.
    3.1f IS A NO GO!

Ringo crashed my treo last night while I was sleeping (got two calls). The crash kept my treo on all night until the battery died.
    Originally posted by Lorea

Hi SGruby!

Would TCRinger work with TreoPictureID installed? I actually think TreoPictureID's interface is really easy to use (much easier than Ringo's), and if TC Ringer will work in conjunction with TreoPictureID, it would be a great combo.

Has this been tested yet?
    It's possible, but I don't think it would. I'm not sure if TreoPictureID uses hacks, but if it does, it has a good chance of destablizing your system.
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by chuhsi

3.1f IS A NO GO!

Ringo crashed my treo last night while I was sleeping (got two calls). The crash kept my treo on all night until the battery died.
    For my part, I don't know what to say:
    I installed and configured Ringo 3.1f and, despite no crash until now (starting the 3rd day after new install):
    - The picture that shows when I receive a call from a friend is not the one set for his/her phone number (I double-checked)
    - When someone who belongs to a group (but not a friend) calls, the usual Treo/Palm OS screen appears. Not Ringo's.

I keep testing and will let you posted!
    I asked for and received a refund for my Ringo purchase.
    I'm curious - on the Handango site alone, Ringo has been downloaded almost 7500 times. This thread has 7 dissatisfied contributors. That is less than 1/10 of a percent of just the handango downloaders. Is there anyone out there who is using this product successfully and is willing to speak up? I will assume a lack of response to indicate that the tales on this site are the norm, not anomalies.
    Originally posted by boardoe
    I'm curious - on the Handango site alone, Ringo has been downloaded almost 7500 times. This thread has 7 dissatisfied contributors. That is less than 1/10 of a percent of just the handango downloaders. Is there anyone out there who is using this product successfully and is willing to speak up? I will assume a lack of response to indicate that the tales on this site are the norm, not anomalies.
    Sure. I have had Ringo for about 4 months and have never had a crash related to this product. This is the only "hack" program I use so the likelyhood of a application conflict is low. It has done everything it is supposed to do.
    Search on other Threads and you will find more dissatisfied Ringo customers.

On my part, I have been using v2.0.1 for some months now. Once in a long while Ringo causes a 'chunk overlock' error - discussed in another thread I started, but this seldom happens so I can live with it.

Sometimes, my Treo hangs on me and I have to manually do a soft reset. Since I've lots of programs and a number of hacks installed, cause could be anything.

I tried v3.1e after using v2.0.1 and my verdict - v3.1e is a crap product. Does not do what it says. Sent an e-mail to developer but reply was not of any help. Have been waiting long time for update and I've basically given up on the developer. The website does not tell you what the latest version is anyway.

I've gone back to using v2.0.1 ever since, and I am relatively happy with it. Although I would like to have picture caller ID, it's not essential to me. & given the number of complaints about instability of v3.x, I really couldn't be bothered with v3 anymore.
    It sounds like this program is very dependent on the individual configuration of each Treo (glass half full), rendering it unstable (glass half empty). With the right combination of apps/settings, no problem; change it a bit - disaster. Since the demo doesn't really let you test the program under real world conditions, the choice is to buy it and hope for the best (i.e., it works or the developers give you your $ back) or not even consider this program. Thanks for the replies.
  17.    #37  
    Originally posted by dennis3232

For my part, I don't know what to say:
    I installed and configured Ringo 3.1f and, despite no crash until now (starting the 3rd day after new install):
    - The picture that shows when I receive a call from a friend is not the one set for his/her phone number (I double-checked)
    - When someone who belongs to a group (but not a friend) calls, the usual Treo/Palm OS screen appears. Not Ringo's.

I keep testing and will let you posted!
    Interesting evolution (without modifying in any way the above described settings):

- The picture showed for a set friend is... his/her group. Ringo totally disregards the friend setting.
    - Now the proper group setting is used when someone belonging to a group calls

Self-evoluting app?
    mY problem is that Ringo does absolutely nothing for me anymore. What I mean by that is, Ringo just does not work, even when I get calls from people I have configured for pictures and/or ring tones all I get is the standard Treo screen and general ring tone. Well atleast Ringo is not causing any craches or fatal errors, but then again since it seems nto to work at all, might be the reason for no crashes.

PS: It has not alwasys been like this. Ringo used to work and then it started working inconsistently and now it just does not work.

Sanjay
  19.    #39  
    Originally posted by Sanjay
    It has not alwasys been like this. Ringo used to work and then it started working inconsistently and now it just does not work.
    Agree. It seems that Ringo is now more stable (Ididn't have even one crash since I installed the latest Ringo version about a week ago), but the app is still not doing what it promises:
    - Friend picture is not the particular one set for that friend, and when a group picture is shown (when it is not an unrelated pix that comes from the picture library and that is not used by anyone), it is not always the pix of the group to which belongs that friend.

Confusing?
    Annoying.
    mY problem is that Ringo does absolutely nothing for me anymore. What I mean by that is, Ringo just does not work, even when I get calls from people I have configured for pictures and/or ring tones all I get is the standard Treo screen and general ring tone.
    I'm the same way. It used to work like a charm. Then several usrs stopped having their pictures pop up, now nobody gets a picture - no matter what kind of configuration changes I make.

Dunc
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast