Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I've used my Treo 300 POP3 email with Treomail Internet version for a few months, and it worked great. But my office recently changed the email over to its new MS Small Business 2000 server Exchange, so it's not POP3 any more.
    What is a good SERVER BASED program for Exchange that will allow me to do email again from my 300? I found a program that will do it, but it costs over $2,000 ..... am looking for a reasonably priced solution, since I'm only one user. And, if possible, I'd preferer not to have a workstation setup where the workstation has to remain on all the time.
    All suggestions would be welcome!
    Thanks
    Kive
    have you tried a workaround?. it's free. have your work email forward to your pcs mailbox. you can even set it to notify you if new mail arrives and then you can retrieve it with eudora. just a suggestion. good luck.
    A redirect type of service is what your're only going to get for a cheap solution. Sprint's BCPE is $5 a month or free depending on your plan but like you said, you'll have to leave a PC on back at the office while you're away. All of the behind the firewall solutions begin in the thousands. The only alternative I can think of for you is Sprint's BCEE (Enterpise Edition). Sprint hosts the server for you and you give them an open port and they'll tunnel in via SSL, or no SSL, it's your choice. There's more to it but that's the basics. It will cost you $200 or $250 to set up plus $10 a month to keep the account live. You will also need to buy SSL certs. if you chose that solution and don't have them already. The kicker for you is that the minimum amount of seats you can buy is 10. So, you pay $100 a month for 9 extra seats. Sprint's gotta set the limits somewhere to make it worth their wild. There might be a promo till the end of the year where they'll waive the setup fee.

Other than that, there isn't much available for 1 user who wants 100% access to their corp. e-mail.
    Originally posted by howensby
    <snip>

Other than that, there isn't much available for 1 user who wants 100% access to their corp. e-mail.
    That's not true at all. There are many solutions, all fairly inexpensive. For Exhange users there is always OWA. Since OWA uses Java, that is a problem for the Treo. However, there is a utility available for $100 (I forgot the company) that resides on the server that allows access to OWA from the Treo.

For non-Exchange users, there are several Palm-based clients that allow access to POP and IMAP4 servers. I use one on my Treo 300 for access to my corporate e-mail and my out of pocket is less than $50.
    Originally posted by Kive
    I've used my Treo 300 POP3 email with Treomail Internet version for a few months, and it worked great. But my office recently changed the email over to its new MS Small Business 2000 server Exchange, so it's not POP3 any more.
    What is a good SERVER BASED program for Exchange that will allow me to do email again from my 300? I found a program that will do it, but it costs over $2,000 ..... am looking for a reasonably priced solution, since I'm only one user. And, if possible, I'd preferer not to have a workstation setup where the workstation has to remain on all the time.
    All suggestions would be welcome!
    Thanks
    Kive
    Here is one solution if you can get your IT department to bring up OWA. $95. Can't beat the price.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Maniac8888, it sounds like your $100 utility mentioned might be a good possibility ..... if you can, try to remember it's name please.

(If I have to go with a workstation always on set-up, then what's the best one? I tried the Treo Mail version, but it had problems completing the load on my new Windows XP box.)

Kive
    If you click on the link (click on "Here")in my post, you will get to the company that has this utility.

I don't particularly like desktop based systems because once something happens to that system, you are dead in the water. However if that is what you are looking for, there are several options. One that I liked was Basejet. It can work in standalone or desktop environment. It can support POP and IMAP4, some attachments and auto polling. IMO, the downside is it uses an intermediate server (much like TreoMail) but I have found their intermediate server extremely reliable.

You can look around and find other peoples opinions and other programs that may guide you to what you may need.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 12/05/2002 at 01:43 PM.