1.    #1  
    I just got an Ibook(my first mac since im a windows guy) and I have been attempting to connect my treo 300 to my my ibook using the usb cable with the wireless modem application. I followed instructions that i found in other threads but I am coming across a problem that was not addressed in the other threads. I successfully installed the software on treo and mac but have been unable to establish a wireless connection to the net. Here is what i have been doing:

1) I first connect the treo to the ibook using the usb cable

2) I then launch wireless modem on the ibook and it states that the drivers have been loaded

3)I launch wireless modem on the treo, and this is where I encounter my problem. I click on enable modem to yes, and i get a message stating "unable to open laptop serial port".

regarding step 3 and the treo application, i have not found any info regarding which settings to use for "pda modem port" or "laptop connected via". I tried different settings including usb, auto detect, usb generic etc and all fetch me the same error message. What am I doing wrong? Keep in mind im a newbie to macs and don't know much about my ibook yet. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
    Originally posted by csunracer

regarding step 3 and the treo application, i have not found any info regarding which settings to use for "pda modem port" or "laptop connected via". I tried different settings including usb, auto detect, usb generic etc and all fetch me the same error message. What am I doing wrong? Keep in mind im a newbie to macs and don't know much about my ibook yet. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
    From the documentation:

7. Select Wireless Modem for PDA Modem Port (on Treo)
    8. Select USB Generic 2 for Laptop Connected Via (on Treo)

I suggest that you print out the documentation and carefully follow each line as it should be pretty easy to setup on a Mac.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the info. I was able to get past that step but now im stuck on this step

14.Create a new network setting and choose USB Modem as the port. Select "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony" for the modem script.

I cannot find anything anywhere in the network settings menu to chose a usb modem as a port, nor anything regarding the sony cdma script. Is anyone out there willing to walk me through the setup of the new network location? Im totally in foreign territory on this mac but I would love to get it working properly if possible.
    Hello.

I've been using iBook(32MB VRAM) and treo300 for while.
    I got the same problem when I tried to use W.modem first time. There was no "USB modem" in Network pref.
    I rebooted my iBook and then I got "new modem(or something, not sure) was found" window. Now w.modem is working ok. (sometime it still gets something wrong though)

Also try to post on "wirelessmodem-users" if there is still no luck.

coelacanth
    thanks for the info. I was able to get past that step but now im stuck on this step

14.Create a new network setting and choose USB Modem as the port. Select "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony" for the modem script.

I cannot find anything anywhere in the network settings menu to chose a usb modem as a port, nor anything regarding the sony cdma script. Is anyone out there willing to walk me through the setup of the new network location? Im totally in foreign territory on this mac but I would love to get it working properly if possible.
    0. Copy WirelessModem on the Mac to your hard drive; it will NOT run properly from the disc image.
    1. Launch WirelessModem on Mac
    2. Launch WirelessModem on Treo (set ports)
    3. Hit Enable Modem Yes on Treo
    4. Launch System Preferences on Mac
    5. Click Network
    6. From Location menu, choose New Location
    7. Enter Sprint or whatever
    8. From the Show menu, choose Network Port Configurations
    9. Uncheck all but USB Modem (if you don't see USB modem, you did something wrong...go back to the beginning.
    10. From the Show menu, choose USB Modem
    11. Click PPP tab
    12. Enter Sprint for Service Provider
    13. Enter #777 for Telephone Number
    14. Click PPP Options
    15. Uncheck Use TCP Header Compression
    16. Click OK
    17. Click Modem tab
    18. Select au cdmaOne C413S by Sony
    19. Click Apply

If this doesn't work, then there probably isn't much else that I can do to help.

(I've updated the documentation on my website to reflect this extra step by step information. )
  6.    #6  
    well it seems that im stuck on step 9. There is no option for a USB modem. I dragged the wireless modem icon over to the hard drive and booted the program from there, followed the directions and still no luck. And i thought macs were supposed to be easy to use :P
    well it seems that im stuck on step 9. There is no option for a USB modem. I dragged the wireless modem icon over to the hard drive and booted the program from there, followed the directions and still no luck. And i thought macs were supposed to be easy to use :P
    Copy the app over again. You should be asked for your administrator password the first time it is launched. If you still have problems, open the Console app (in Applications->Utilities) and post the last 10 lines or so (after your launch the WirelssModem app on the Mac).
  8.    #8  
    Ok..i tried that..same problem...here is what was listed in the console. These were the last lines after i ran the mac wireless modem app.

kmodload: __ZNK9IOService11getProviderEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService11getWorkLoopEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService12handleIsOpenEPKS_
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService17getClientIteratorEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService19getProviderIteratorEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService19serializePropertiesEP11OSSerialize
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService21getOpenClientIteratorEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService23getOpenProviderIteratorEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService6isOpenEPKS_
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService8getStateEv
    kmodload: __ZNK9IOService9getClientEv
    kmodload: __ZTV18IOSerialDriverSync
    kmodload: kld_load() failed.Error loading module: kmod load error.
    Ok..i tried that..same problem...here is what was listed in the console. These were the last lines after i ran the mac wireless modem app.

1) What version of OS X are you running?
    2) Did WirelessModem prompt you for a password the first time it ran?
    3) Do you have administrator privileges on the system?
    4) Please post more lines of the file.

I suspect that WirelessModem is not going to work for you.

Sorry.
    This must be user error. I'm running:
    OS X 10.2.2
    iBook 600 with 640MB 20 GB HD
    If you follow the instructions exactly, this WILL work. I have no problems.
    Originally posted by imageone
    This must be user error. I'm running:
    OS X 10.2.2
    iBook 600 with 640MB 20 GB HD
    If you follow the instructions exactly, this WILL work. I have no problems.
    I do suspect that this is the issue judging by the beginning of this thread where the user said that he didn't know what ports to choose on the Treo, but this information was clearly indicated in the documentation.
    Well, he is a Windows Guy. The set-up is probably "too" easy

j/k of course, no offence intended.
    In fact to show you how well it does work, I'm currently connected and posting from my Treo, which is on my desk in the cradle. The cradle is connected to the USB port on a external keyboard, and the keyboard is connected to the USB port on my iBook. I know ....... I'm bragging......Sweet.

I do have one question for Scott. Does this connection fall under Unlimited Vision?
    Originally posted by imageone

I do have one question for Scott. Does this connection fall under Unlimited Vision?
    That's a question you'll have to ask Sprint. So far, on my first bill since using WirelessModem, I haven't seen any charges. This could change at any time.

The fine print on Sprint's website says that you can't use a laptop with Unlimited Vision (unless you're on the $99/month plan for the Merlin card...which doesn't help much if you don't have a PC Card slot).
  15.    #15  
    Well guys I managed to make some progress. I upgraded the OS to 10.2 and was able to configure everything. Now after everything is configured, how do I actually make the connection work?
    Well guys I managed to make some progress. I upgraded the OS to 10.2 and was able to configure everything. Now after everything is configured, how do I actually make the connection work?
    So you're telling us that you weren't running 10.2? The download says: "Download for Mac OS X 10.2 and Treo 300 "

Please re-read the documentation (a few more times would help), check the Mac help for a PPP connection, and check other threads for help.
  17.    #17  
    Well with a little luck and patience I finally got this baby working. I was able to get 130 kb/s from home and im getting about 45 kb/s from work right now. All I can say is this really taxes the battery life on the phone. I went ahead and ordered a combo usb/charging sync cable. All I can say is that im very satisfied with the wirless modem utility and treo combination. Thanks to any who offered any help, especially those who were polite with me. Im not a mac guy so this environment is totally new to me (although I really love it).
    Sean
    Originally posted by sgruby
    The fine print on Sprint's website says that you can't use a laptop with Unlimited Vision (unless you're on the $99/month plan for the Merlin card...which doesn't help much if you don't have a PC Card slot).
    I'm sure this is not the right place to ask but....

Does anyone know if the merlin card will work with a mac? I would guess you use tcp/ip and dial #777 but there is no software for the mac that comes with it.

Any ideas?
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>