1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of getting a Treo 300. Does it have always-on email that will notify me when one comes in or do I have to dial in each time and wait for the messages to download?
    Someone more knowledgable will certainly chime in, but the simple answer is no. The problem being that you can't receive voice calls and be checking for email at the same time. My blackberry wasn't dual-function, so it could be ready to receive at any time.

I'm currently trying out TreoMail and it allows you to automatically check for mail every 15 minutes (shortest interval) and notifies you when there is new mail.
    Iíve only had my 300 a few days, but coming from a Blackberry and several years of Palm, I think I can answer your question.

Out of the box the Treo does not have the capability to have your e-mail pushed to it. However, there are a few solutions, which do allow for ďalways onĒ e-mail.

One is the Sprint Business Connect program, which essentially operates just like Blackberry, pushing your e-mail directly to the Treo whenever something comes into your ďin box.Ē There is both a server and personal edition of this software.

There is also a program from Handspring called Treo Mail which will check for e-mail automatically based on a time frame you select (say every fifteen minutes or every hour) then download the e-mail to your Treo and then alert you when you have new mail to read. This works pretty well, but itís not ďalways onĒ itís really only on every fifteen minutes (or whatever time you select.)

The solution Iím using right now is to have copies of my e-mail forwarded to my Sprint e-mail address (youíre given this with the phone.) I then am alerted via a SMS message that I have new mail waiting. Iím using Eudora to then read/send my e-mail. This works pretty well. I am basically notified right away when new mail arrives. The only down side is I do not know anything about the message. Sometimes I stop what Iím doing to read mail only to find out itís just junk.

Hope this helps,
    Larry
    I use the personal edition of Sprint Biz Connection and have my work exchange server based email account hooked to treo. essentially if my computer is attached to the netowrk then email is always on and pushing but if off then I get nothing. Works well but obviously server edition would be great if your IT shop supports it.

Personal Edition was simple to set up as well. Hope that helps.

e;-)
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    forward your e-mail to

your-phone_number@messaging.sprintpcs.com

and you will see the from, subject and a few first lines as soon as you gen it. then use vision to read it. or use free notification with sprintpcs e-mail
    Originally posted by msneider
    I'm thinking of getting a Treo 300. Does it have always-on email that will notify me when one comes in or do I have to dial in each time and wait for the messages to download?
    There are many 3rd party e-mail programs available for the Trio. You might consider asking of yourself what you want from an e-mail program as they all provide something a little different.

Do you need:

1. POP or IMAP?
    2. Do you care if your desktop computer is always on?
    3. Do you want automatic polling?
    4. Do you want SMS notification
    5. Is your IT department willing/able to help?
    6. Do you want to read attachments?
    7. Do you care if there is an intermediary server (Trio Mail and Basejet work this way - sometimes there are significant delays in the receipt of mail).

I am sure there are many other questions you can ask yourself rergarding your exected utilization and need requirements.

Once you have figured these things out, you can more easily reach an intelligent decision regarding the best application for your needs.
    Originally posted by leonidm
    forward your e-mail to

your-phone_number@messaging.sprintpcs.com

and you will see the from, subject and a few first lines as soon as you gen it. then use vision to read it. or use free notification with sprintpcs e-mail
    I've just tried this and I do not get the sender's name or a subject, it says "no caller id." All I get is the first few lines of the e-mail. I can then use Eudora to retreive the entire message. I guess this is still better than no information about the e-mail at all though.

Larry
    Originally posted by lgreenberg

The solution Iím using right now is to have copies of my e-mail forwarded to my Sprint e-mail address (youíre given this with the phone.) I then am alerted via a SMS message that I have new mail waiting. Iím using Eudora to then read/send my e-mail. This works pretty well. I am basically notified right away when new mail arrives. The only down side is I do not know anything about the message. Sometimes I stop what Iím doing to read mail only to find out itís just junk.

Hope this helps,
    Larry [/B]
    What do you do about all the copies of email being stored on sprint's server then? I'd assume you'd read the original version, and the copies would just continue to stockpile on sprint's mail server. But this is something I wouldn't mind trying.

As I don't want to forward my email there, or read it through vision, the copies idea sounds like a good one.

Because when i'm at work I have access to my email and don't need to be notified, (also when i'm at home at the computer), i'd have to write a procmail recipie or something to determine correct times to send copies, and when not to.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Originally posted by Real-ity

What do you do about all the copies of email being stored on sprint's server then? I'd assume you'd read the original version, and the copies would just continue to stockpile on sprint's mail server. But this is something I wouldn't mind trying.

As I don't want to forward my email there, or read it through vision, the copies idea sounds like a good one.

Because when i'm at work I have access to my email and don't need to be notified, (also when i'm at home at the computer), i'd have to write a procmail recipie or something to determine correct times to send copies, and when not to.
    I've just been going into the Sprint e-mail web page and deleting the messages from their server every so often. It's working pretty good for me so far.

Actually, since I took leonidm's advice and have begun forwarding my mail to the myphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com address there is no need to delete any messages from the Sprint server at all.

Larry