1.    #1  
    Back in the dark ages when I used a HP 200lx, one of my favorite utilities (I forgot its name) would capitalize a letter when the letter was pressed twice in a row quickly (like within 1/2 second). With the Treo 300 keyboard so similar, I would really appreciate, even pay $, for a hack or program that would do the same. Is this even possible in the Palm OS?
    Yes!
    That would a very good one!
    I like the way the Newton worked. You could double-tap a word to select it. Then by dragging the stylus up through the word it would capatalize the whole word. To just capitalize the 1st letter, you would drag up through the 1st letter. Very slick.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    I like the way the Newton worked. You could double-tap a word to select it. Then by dragging the stylus up through the word it would capatalize the whole word. To just capitalize the 1st letter, you would drag up through the 1st letter. Very slick.
    I used to use a hack called CaseToggle to do this sort of thing. Haven't used it for a couple of years, though, so I don't know if it's still available.
    Originally posted by spyder

I used to use a hack called CaseToggle to do this sort of thing. Haven't used it for a couple of years, though, so I don't know if it's still available.
    You can find CaseToggle here:
    http://www.palmpilotarchives.com/hacks.html
    Thanks dennis3232
    Originally posted by terrys
    Back in the dark ages when I used a HP 200lx, one of my favorite utilities (I forgot its name) would capitalize a letter when the letter was pressed twice in a row quickly (like within 1/2 second). With the Treo 300 keyboard so similar, I would really appreciate, even pay $, for a hack or program that would do the same. Is this even possible in the Palm OS?
    I thought this was such a good idea, I decided to do it. Right now, the timeout for it is set to about 320ms. Please play with it and let me know if it needs to be a little longer. I've attached the PRC file to this message.

The way this actually works is to send a backspace and then the capital letter if you hit it twice, so it may do weird things at the end of text fields. I haven't fully tested it yet, so I don't know.

Also note that, at the moment, this hack will probably crash any device that's not a Treo. I'll get around to fixing that at some point.

I'm releasing this absolutely free (open source, even, as soon as I get around to putting it on palmgear), but I take donations through paypal.

edit: I've removed the attachment. The released version is available from PalmGear. See my messages below
    Last edited by metsfan; 12/07/2002 at 07:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I don't think this hack will be any kind of a savings. How is pressing the same button twice with one thumb any faster than pressing the caps key with one thumb and the letter with another? What you need to do is take the lead from RIM and make pressing and holding a letter do the backspace-capital thing. Since HS now licenses the RIM keyboard patents, I don't think you'd even get in trouble.

Course, I'm downloading your app anyway just to see...

============================================

OK, Several hours later and I withdraw my earlier opinion. The double-click is easier to use than the two separate keystroke approach.

I'd still like to see the RIM approach (press-n-hold)...
    Last edited by KKenna; 12/07/2002 at 06:03 PM.
  9.    #9  
    My experience with the 200lx keyboard was that pressing the same button twice, is much faster than pressing 2 separate buttons. Also, I'm new to the Treo so 1/2 the time I hit the blue key instead of the shift key and end up with a symbol/number I have to erase. METSFAN, thanks for the program, I'm loading it now.
    Originally posted by terrys
    My experience with the 200lx keyboard was that pressing the same button twice, is much faster than pressing 2 separate buttons. Also, I'm new to the Treo so 1/2 the time I hit the blue key instead of the shift key and end up with a symbol/number I have to erase. METSFAN, thanks for the program, I'm loading it now.
    No problem. I'm thinking about putting in an option to hit a button three times fast to give the option character instead of the capital. I guess it would be configurable so you could make double click be option and triple click be capital if you wanted.... I do find I use the option button more often than the shift button.

I don't know, I'll have to play with it some more.
    Originally posted by KKenna
    OK, Several hours later and I withdraw my earlier opinion. The double-click is easier to use than the two separate keystroke approach.

I'd still like to see the RIM approach (press-n-hold)...
    I'm currently working on a prefs panel for the hack that will let you use the double click or the RIM approach, or both.

It should be ready in a few hours.
    Alrighty... it's done and up at PalmGear.

KeyCapsHack

Please let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Metsfan- This *is* definitely a useful hack, and I like the idea of 3 quick taps for the option character. That said, FYI, while version 0.1 worked fine (using a Treo 300), 0.2 freezes the treo as soon as I check the box. I tried it with no other hacks enabled- same thing. Not quite sure if there is any other app that could be interfering..... I'll keep beta testing as you post new versions.... Thanks!
    Originally posted by pdadoc
    Metsfan- This *is* definitely a useful hack, and I like the idea of 3 quick taps for the option character. That said, FYI, while version 0.1 worked fine (using a Treo 300), 0.2 freezes the treo as soon as I check the box. I tried it with no other hacks enabled- same thing. Not quite sure if there is any other app that could be interfering..... I'll keep beta testing as you post new versions.... Thanks!
    Damn, treocentral's lagging a lot right now. I'm not having this problem, but I'm on a Treo 180, and don't have a 300 to try. I fixed what might be a bug and reuploaded it to PalmGear. Try that out and let me know if it's still happenning. Anyone else having a problem with a Treo 300?

Also, which settings are you using?
    Well, I'm just going nuts with this.

There's a new version on PalmGear already. I took away the ability to have holding down a key keep repeating a capital letter. I didn't think it was useful, and it was complicating the code a lot.

In it's place, you can now use either methods (hold down or double click) to do the "option-key" command. This seems to work pretty well.

The setup I'm currently using is holding down a button for the capital letter and double clicking it for the option value. I like it a lot.

The only thing I don't like is it's now easy to type any number except 0. I'll have to mess with that key sometime to see what I can do.