Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, thanks to the instructions posted at this thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28076

I was able to make some of my own ringtones, and load them onto my treo. I have been telling palmgsm that i thought we needed snippets of songs, not full songs, which are both useless as ringtones and cause the treo to crash often as not.

So i have started playing with Anvil Studio and Palm Midi Desktop (see above thread for all the info on where to get these and how to use them) and made these ringtones, including little parts of:

Madonna - Beautiful Stranger; Johnny B. Goode; Layla; Starship Trooper (yeah, the old YES song. i guess my age is showing here); two pieces from Disney's Main Street Electrical Parade; You Shook Me All Night Long; Elephant Walk (you'll recognize it when you hear it); and Peaches En Regalia by Frank Zappa.

One thing about these is that they are all LOUD! Maybe too loud, but i will play some more. Anyway, i'm not in this business and just did ones that i wanted, but if you want to check them out, go to my web site:

www.aaronstein.com

scroll down and look for my avatar (the little dog talking to the treo) and click on that picture (if left clicking doesn't work, right click and choose 'save as'. then hot-sync them on to your treo and install with ringo. they might show up in ringo as the sample database. that's what happened to me even though i had named it something else.

have fun and let me know what you think!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    RE: the sample database thing. They will always show up like this unless you try to edit the file.. I attempted to edit it once and I got the name to change, but then I deleted it by accident and didn't care enough to edit the next ones. Its only a vessel with which you get them into ringo so it doesnt really matter anyway.

Good job on the songs, I will throw mine up on a site so people can get them too.

I have made:
    Dr. Who Theme (My favorite ring EVER)
    Rammstein - Engel
    Goldfinger - Mable
    Eminem - My name is
    The Smiths - Oscillate wildly
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
    Dalarude - Sandstorm
    Fugazi - Waiting Room

You can get the midi files (original and edited) and a pdb with the tones from: http://muteform.net/mutemobile/ringtones/

3.    #3  
    yeah, when the first one, which i had renamed on my pc, showed up as the sample file, i figured that the name was somehow embedded in the file for the palm's purposes. as you said, no big deal.

thanks
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    These tunes sound amazing! Puts the mono tunes we have in our ringtone section to shame!!

Hopefully we can get TC Ringer to work with Treo 300 soon (come on Handspring release the API), and then we will start adding polyphonic content to the ringtone database.
    Marcus,

Don't know if you saw my latest inquiry to HandSpring, but they mentioned possibly having the API and docs for the Treo300 available by the end of the year. They were going to release some GPRS stuff first, then the 300 stuff. They mentioned that it was no longer a "legal" issue with Sprint, but just a matter of time getting the APIs and such in order.

--
    Bry
    Does anyone know how long a ring tone can be on the 300 before it locks up the device? Evidently that little issue is a know problem with the 300.

BTW, thanks to those people that have been nice enough to make their tones available.
  7.    #7  
    i don't know how long they can be but many (most) of palmgsm.net's tones exceeded the length so maybe you can get some idea by looking at theirs.

personally i always felt that shorter tones were more desirable to a certain extent which is why i worked on these. for instance, palmgsm put in the theme from 'the addams family' which opens with the finger snapping section. you can't hear that when your phone rings anyway!
    I have gotten more the impression that its the size of the tone rather than the length of it. Some of them are much larger than others just due to the number of instruments involved.

Ringo will warn you if one of the tones is gonna have any issues. I have had mine lock on me a few times while in ringo, and while selecting the tone, but never when I have recieved a phone call.

Most of my tones are between 20-30 seconds. I like them to be long enough to capture the part of the song I like, and also so that I will most likely be able to answer the phone before the tone has to repeat (ugly!).
    Originally posted by zbose
    I have gotten more the impression that its the size of the tone rather than the length of it. Some of them are much larger than others just due to the number of instruments involved.

Ringo will warn you if one of the tones is gonna have any issues. I have had mine lock on me a few times while in ringo, and while selecting the tone, but never when I have recieved a phone call.

Most of my tones are between 20-30 seconds. I like them to be long enough to capture the part of the song I like, and also so that I will most likely be able to answer the phone before the tone has to repeat (ugly!).
    Good suggestions. Yes, I am sure it is an issue with size rather than length and 20-30 seconds does indeed sound best. I wasn't aware Ringo "flagged" those tones that may have problems. Thanks.
    Zbose,

Your download appears to be corrupt. The .pdb file is only 1k in size, and HSM identifies it as an invalid file type when you try to load it.
    Hi all,

Does the trial version of Ringo limit you to only having one personal ringtone available to assign in the speed dial pages? I have 6 ringtones in my personal ringtones (upper right selection). These are ones that I have selected to "use as a ringtone." However, when I'm in the speed dial pages and editing for a unique ringtone for a number, it doesn't show any of them except one. Am I missing a step to get them available or is it just a limitation of the trial Ringo?

Thanks!
    NCTreo300
    Yup, one tone is the limit with the trial version. IMO, it is worth paying for if you like to do this sort of thing.
    Thanks Maniac,

Totally agree, worth it to get more available! I'll be signing up immediately with Ringo!

NCTreo300
  14.    #14  
    Okay boys and girls, i came home sick from work today so i sat at the computer for a while and made some new ringtones. latest ones are as follows:

all right now; battlestar galactica; foggy mountain breakdown; hawaii 5-0; oh pretty woman; peanuts theme (linus & lucy); purple haze; raiders of the lost ark; 2 from reeling in the years.

here's what i've done. since a couple of folks wrote and asked about getting them into the pdb file, i zipped up my whole palm midi desktop directory and put it at my web site. it includes all the individual ringtones, the samples database with all the tones already installed, as well as the palm midi desktop files that so you can add or remove as you like! double-click on the run.bat file to run palm midi desktop

have a blast. click on the puppy at

www.aaronstein.com

by the way, palm midi desktop comes from palmgear

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=3448

and thanks to treocentral users bulletfast and zbose for the instructions they posted that got me to where i could make these.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1
    Last edited by aarons12; 12/04/2002 at 08:49 PM.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    Okay boys and girls, i came home sick from work today so i sat at the computer for a while and made some new ringtones. latest ones are as follows:

all right now; battlestar galactica; foggy mountain breakdown; hawaii 5-0; oh pretty woman; peanuts theme (linus & lucy); purple haze; raiders of the lost ark; 2 from reeling in the years.

here's what i've done. since a couple of folks wrote and asked about getting them into the pdb file, i zipped up my whole palm midi desktop directory and put it at my web site. it includes all the individual ringtones, the samples database with all the tones already installed, as well as the palm midi desktop files that so you can add or remove as you like! double-click on the run.bat file to run palm midi desktop

have a blast. click on the puppy at

www.aaronstein.com

by the way, palm midi desktop comes from palmgear

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=3448

and thanks to treocentral users bulletfast and zbose for the instructions they posted that got me to where i could make these.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1
    Aaron,

This is a very genrous thing you did for us, and I am grateful. However, when I d/l and install and open up "Treoringtones-sample" from you in Ringo, all I see is "Hoedowntreo" and "TechoOne" - where are yours?

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    Zbose,

Your download appears to be corrupt. The .pdb file is only 1k in size, and HSM identifies it as an invalid file type when you try to load it.
    Whoops, look like I uploaded the wrong file. I uploaded what I hope is the correct one, its 57k.

I think the previous one was one that I tried to rename internally.

Let me know if you have luck with this one!

-zbose
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by NateS

Aaron,

This is a very genrous thing you did for us, and I am grateful. However, when I d/l and install and open up "Treoringtones-sample" from you in Ringo, all I see is "Hoedowntreo" and "TechoOne" - where are yours?

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Regards,

NateS
    actually nate, you did it correctly but i messed up slightly. you used the 'aaron's ringtones.pdb', which i should have deleted. that has just those 2 tones. use the treoringtone-sample.pdb which has all of them.

i have re-posted the zip file without the wrong one to avoid other folks being confused also.

enjoy
    In the spirit of helping the development of polyphonic ringtones I wrote this quick web based tool:

http://www.treocentral.com/ringtones...0fun/index.php

Basically it lets you take up to 10 midi files and convert them into a handy .pdb file. You can name each created .pdb file differently, and it will automatically show up in the ringtones dropdown list of ringo.

Due to copyright issues I don't think we can keep a database of the converted files (nor are we saving the converted files as this point), but feel free to post your collection on your own sites and we can link to them.

Let me know if you experience any issues.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by marcus
    In the spirit of helping the development of polyphonic ringtones I wrote this quick web based tool:

http://www.treocentral.com/ringtones...0fun/index.php

Basically it lets you take up to 10 midi files and convert them into a handy .pdb file. You can name each created .pdb file differently, and it will automatically show up in the ringtones dropdown list of ringo.

Due to copyright issues I don't think we can keep a database of the converted files (nor are we saving the converted files as this point), but feel free to post your collection on your own sites and we can link to them.

Let me know if you experience any issues.
    cool. feel free to link to the ones i made. the direct link would be

www.aaronstein.com/treotones.zip
    Last edited by aarons12; 12/05/2002 at 09:56 AM.
  20.    #20  
    ok, i know this is crass, but i am enjoying hearing response to the ringtones i made, so i'm just adding a post at the end of this to bring it back up near the top of the postings...

so shoot me. what can i say

also, on a legitimate note, i used marcus' web based tool to make uploadable pdb's with different names (thanks marcus... felt funny ripping off treocentral's database)

www.aaronstein.com/aaronstones.zip

just unzip the file and sync the tones on. they are in alphabetical order, 10 in the first one and 9 in the second. that's all i have at the moment.
    Last edited by aarons12; 12/05/2002 at 05:29 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast