1.    #1  
    First off, it works and works pretty darn well.

However, I don't think I'm getting the performance that the MAC people are getting.

What is everyone's settings. My connection speed indicates 9600 regardless of what my settings are but apparently that does not affect the actual performance. I've been seeing like 1.6-1.8 KB/s downloads.

What is everyone's settings and what speeds are they seeing, and how bad does signal quality affect speed, etc.

Thanks
    Originally posted by BrianV
    First off, it works and works pretty darn well.

However, I don't think I'm getting the performance that the MAC people are getting.

What is everyone's settings. My connection speed indicates 9600 regardless of what my settings are but apparently that does not affect the actual performance. I've been seeing like 1.6-1.8 KB/s downloads.

What is everyone's settings and what speeds are they seeing, and how bad does signal quality affect speed, etc.

Thanks
    I've seen 25 - 50 kbps (3-6 KB/s) on my Mac. I've posted the init string I'm using somewhere else; this is connecting via USB. I think that one of the limiting factors is the speed you've set Windows to and WirelessModem to, but I'm not sure. I realize that some people can't set the speed higher than 57600, but this might be the key in getting higher speeds.

The lower speeds seem to be with pretty poor signal strength; I had (what seemed like) a faster connection in LA this past weekend on I-5 probably because I had a better signal. This, of course, is subjective as I didn't do any quantitative measurements (too busy looking at traffic reports).

Eventually I'll get an IRDA adapter and serial cable for my PC and try it out to see how the Mac compares with Windows under the same signal conditions.

I realize that this isn't very helpful, but I think that your speeds are quite low. I've speed reports of people connecting with IRDA getting faster transfers.
  3.    #3  
    I'm in LA a lot for work, in fact I used to live there (born and raised in Redondo Beach). Anyways, let me try hitting up a place with better signal.

PS - changing the settings of speeds even down to 2400 BAUD doesn't appear effect my performance.
    Originally posted by BrianV
    I'm in LA a lot for work, in fact I used to live there (born and raised in Redondo Beach). Anyways, let me try hitting up a place with better signal.

PS - changing the settings of speeds even down to 2400 BAUD doesn't appear effect my performance.
    Most of the times I use it, my signal stinks (0 to 2 bars) and performance is adequate, but definitely too slow to receive those 1 MB attachments.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by sgruby

Most of the times I use it, my signal stinks (0 to 2 bars) and performance is adequate, but definitely too slow to receive those 1 MB attachments.
    Yeah I'm getting that 1.4-1.8KB/s with 2 bars, I really need to find a place where i get 4 bars, but I've noticed this Treo. My old i300 always had full signal. However, the treo always has signal I nevern get dropped calls, but it just never seems to want to display 4 bars.
    Different phones use different methods to determine how many bars too display. Some display signal strength (dB), some display signal to noise ratio, some use a mix of the two or other factors, and they all can use different scales..