1.    #1  
    I'm sure that some of you will not want to do it this way, but you can send sms on the yahoo moblie site from your treo. It works.
    ....much more cumbersome. Treo300SMS is the way....see the light!!
  3.    #3  
    but treosms is not free
    19.95 is a small price to pay for fully functional MO-SMS. As a long time Sprint customer who has been dying for MO-SMS (like Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T have and get for free), I was more than happy to pay a small price to get something that works so well.
    And if you call Spint's customer service and ask nicely (demand nicely) they will credit you the $20!!
    actually i think its kind of funny that people with $500 phones, and many with $2500 PC's can't imagine spending a little on software.

the best analogy i heard once had to do with cars. people think nothing of paying $40,000 for a car and then putting hundreds of dollars into gas, oil, maintenance, insurance, and much more.

but tell them that they spent $1000 on a computer and then they find out that they need to add some anti-virus software, maybe a disk utility, and cd burning software, to accomplish what they want, and they balk.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    With some software, like games, the car analogy works quite well. But buying the treo and having no built in e-mail option is like buying a car and being told that if we want seats to sit in, we have to pay a yearly subscription.

IMHO, certain things (sms, e-mail) should have been included with the treo from the start.

That said, treo300sms is so neccessary, we dont have much of a choice but to buy it.
    For email, Eudora does POP mail nicely and it is free. It is not perfect but the great thing about the Palm OS is all of the 3rd party fixes that are available. for just about anything.
    unfortunately, i am still on aol mail. not that i don't have any other email addresses, i have several web hosting accounts where i could make up dozens of my own pop3 accounts. but i was one of aol's original members and the wife and kids like it, so i stick with it.

anyway, the second day i had the treo, i found pocketflash for aol and bought it on the spot. i think one of the reasons that they would not include some of this stuff is because there is no one program that would make everybody happy.

that having been said, i think pop3 email is basic enough that some program should have been included.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I never considered buying this app but reading some of your arguments convinced me to give it a try today. Then I read this in their Proxy Consent agreement:

I also understand that there is no guarantee implied or otherwise that this service will continue to be provided for any length of time with or without payment of money for this service
    Its not likely I'll buy this app after the 5 days, I don't want to get hooked on some app and then have PDAapps decide it costs him to much to run the server and shut it down or starting charing $10 a month.
    truth be told, i probably don't even belong in this discussion because i have never used SMS, though all the talk about it has made me curious.

possibly because i'm not usually far from a PC and am used to IM's and email, but so far, i still have not felt any overpowering need for sms. maybe i'm just to old. 46 and have been online since 1979. that makes me some sort of tech-a-saurus or something, i think.

hopefully sprint will sort this out. there was a thread a while ago that said they were going to be adding it to the service, but it never materialized, probably because their servers were already overloaded from switching to the unlimited vision plans...
    I just like the SMS because it is actually pushed down from the server, IE, it vibrates my phone when it arrives... this means its great for alerts on e-mail, IMs, etc.

If we had true push e-mail/IMing, then I wouldnt really care about SMS.
  13.    #13  
    I didn't know it was such a touchy subject. I just wanted to point out a free alternative to send sms since you can aready recieve it. To tell the truth, I don't really "need" sms at all. I just think its kinda cool
    i wouldn't call it touchy at all. Just about anything can stimulate a lively discussion and that is why many of us are here. If you want to talk touchy, just try to tell some people about good or bad things about service providers. It is as though some people are married to a wireless phone company and others have just gone through an ugly divorce. Check out the Sprint and Verizon boards for examples of each.
    I use this application to send SMS messages to other phones:

http://www.reachthem.com/download.shtml

Both the application and service are free and sending messages is fairly quick and easy. It even maintains a history of the last messages your sent, as well as maintain a senders list.

Good luck.
  16.    #16  
    That reachthem is great!
    Originally posted by the_chemist
    I use this application to send SMS messages to other phones:

http://www.reachthem.com/download.shtml

Both the application and service are free and sending messages is fairly quick and easy. It even maintains a history of the last messages your sent, as well as maintain a senders list.

Good luck.
    cool thanks for the tip - I'm trying it out right now.

I am test driving PDAApp's treoSMS which is pretty cool! The only problem is that most cell phones out there can receive these messages, but can't reply - which really decreases the usefullness of the application.
    Is it possible to send an SMS to an e-mail address othan than an @ReachThem using ReachThem?

rquetzal
    ReachThem enables users to send messages based on either ReachThem MobiCode, Pager or Cellphone. On the website there are link based on device and the Palm Application has three options as well.