1.    #1  
    I'm trying to track down a new headset for my 300 since people have trouble hearing me with the current headset (I can hear them just fine). Was debating between some of the more popular Jabra (EarSet) and Plantronics headsets. I can't afford the bluetooth versions, so I'm just looking for a high-quality headset that will fit this phone (a la nokia 3000/8000 compatible).

Any experience or suggestions? I've been through a bunch of generic and crappy ones. I need a real headset with a quality speaker and mic.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Chuhsi,

I would highly recommend the Jabra Earboom(tm) Winder headset. It's about $40 at the local Radio Shack or other electronics store. Sound quality is excellent and it come with several ear gels so you can choose the one that fits you. It is comfortable after hours of use and has a handy connect / disconnect button so you don't have to fumble around to answer or hang up a call. It also retracts the cable into a nice compact holder when not in use so you don't have to worry about all the tangle.

If you don't care about the retractable part, you can also get the standart Earboom(tm) product. It's basically the same product without the retracting cable. I used it with a previous phone so I'm not sure it if includes the connect / disconnect button for the Treo. I think it is about 1/2 the price at about $15-20 at the same outlets.

Most important -- get the one designed for the Nokia phones (not the standard 1/8th" connector that works with all other phones). Also, don't lose the foam windscreen on the microphone. You might want to superglue it.

Good luck and enjoy!
    TL
  3.    #3  
    I tried the Jabra boom headset with the retractable cord. The speaker's fantastic. I can hear people beautifully. However, no one can hear my clearly. People say I either sound muffled or I fade in and out (not a reception issue). I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by chuhsi
    I'm trying to track down a new headset for my 300 since people have trouble hearing me with the current headset (I can hear them just fine). ...
    Thanks!
    I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with the original headset from Handspring. I've tested it out against other headsets by leaving voicemails at home, and it by far, works the best for me. It's actually the best sounding headset I've ever used, and I've used many.

Seeing that you're having trouble with the second headset you purchased, I might suspect the issue is with your phone (even though I can't imagine how that could be) or the individual headsets being defective.

If you haven't already, try testing the headset out by leaving voicemails for yourself on another phone. If the Handspring headset sounds muffled, you may want to return it for a replacement and see if that helps.
    Before the freespeak, i used a jabra earset. The mik is built into the earthingy, so you just have the on/off button on the cord, at good spot for your hand.

The only problems I had with all the Jabra products is losing the eargels. I haven't yet lost the original on the freespeak, but the others would come off very easily. I fixed this by adding one drop of superglue to the eargel. I can stick it in my pocket or whatever, and the gel stays on.

The retractable winder sucks, because it's hard to access your treo while keeping the winder plugged in. If it comes out, your call is lost (doesn't happen with the freespeak) and you've defeated the point of the handsfree!

I found the earset in the mall at a kiosk for $25 a few months ago. Radio Shack does FINALLY have a good stock of various models. Biggest selection I've seen at every store now. Keep your reciept, you may hate your choice as soon as you open it.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I'm using the GoldLantern FreeMe2 Mobile retractable. Great sound quality, works well, keeps everything out of the way.
    http://www.goldlantern.com/freemmobreth.html
    sbcrair, FreeMe2 lools great!

I just wanna make sure that the right model for treo is "Nokia 8210, 3310, 3210", right?

Thanks for the information.

coelacanth
    Get the one that says "Standard 2.5mm Universal 4 pole". That works just fine for all the Treos.
    I use a handsfree from Belkin. It's simple, discreet, and works great! And it stays in my ear much better than the other fancy handsfree earpieces.