1.    #1  
    Okay, I've read the manual, so please don't refer me to it, but I can't figure out how to turn off the Treo.

My take from the manual is that the Treo "can be turned off by pressing the power button once or closing the lid" . This may disconnect a phone call, but I assure you that my Treo is not off when the lid is closed (it can still receive phone calls as one may expect). I want to be able to completely turn it off so I can leave it on my bedstand at night and have it not vibrate or ring to wake me.

Secondly, I'd like to leave the wireless on while the phone is off (wireless won't wake me). So I expect the flashing green light at the top, but don't know what the feedback mechanism is tell me that the ringer is completely off and all my calls will instantly go to voicemail. Any help?
    Can't have wireless on with phone off. Use TreoUtils to turn the phone on/off at specified times.
    It sounds like you want to turn off the wireless portion of the Treo. For that, you need to press AND HOLD the power button at the top of the unit.

Tapping the button or closing the lid turns off the keyboard backlight and the screen.

Miles
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    To turn off the Phone/wireless service, press the on/off button on top down and hold it down for a few seconds. You'll see a message and hear a tune indication that the Sprint connection is closed.

This turns off phone and wireless - there is no way to keep wireless on with the phone off (although the inverse is true, and the default for the device).

There are a couple of PDF's on Handspring's site that detail all of the Treo button commands, and are considerably more useful than the tiny Sprint manual. Search the FAQs for the Treo.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, I guess the most confusing part was that the manual clearly states that the handset and the wireless mode can "be turned on and off <b>independantly</b>" of eachother. I guess I don't need to leave the wireless on, but it would be nice.

I was under the impression that holding the button down for a few seconds, would shut off the wireless, but I didn't think it had an effect on the handset to receive voice. If this does indeed shut of both voice and wireless, how do I shut off only wireless?

I have no interest in buy TreoUtils right now, perhaps in the future.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Thanks, I guess the most confusing part was that the manual clearly states that the handset and the wireless mode can "be turned on and off independantly" of eachother.
    I think there's some confusion here. Theu can indeed be turned on and off independently. "Handheld" in this case means, I believe, the "Palm OS organizer" part of the Treo 300. As in, you can have the wireless (including phone and data) turned off, but still play games, check your calendar ... all the stuff the organizer can do. Like, if you're in an airplane and you can't have the phone on, or if your batt's running low, but you really, really need to play Bejeweled just one last time while waiting for the train. "

Contrariwise, you can have the "phone" part on -- it will still alert you to incoming calls, emails, etc. -- while the "handheld" part (the organizer) is turned off (i.e. the screen isn't on).

I think it's a question of definitions, semantics and other phun stuf. "Wireless" means the wireless radio inside the unit that communicates with the cell tower. This can be on or off independently of what you're doing with the "organizer" part of the Treo.
    If you want to leave the wireless portion on, but don't want to be disturbed by phone calls, etc. -- just set the silent mode to "no vibrate". As long as you're plugged in and charging, even if the screen comes on for a minute or two (or three) while the phone is taking the incoming, sending it to voicemail, and then notifying you (all silently), you won't be draining your battery.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, I guess I was mixing up the "handheld" term with "handset" because I view voice and data as the two things that I would want to be able to. Now that you mention it, I'd never really want the pda functionality always on.

As for setting the silent mode to no vibrate, that would require going into menus, which is probably about 3-4 steps (though I haven't looked at where those prefs are). Even in silent, no vibrate mode, it wouldn't send people directly to voicemail, so it's not the same.
    In the phone menu, you can forward all calls when you don't want it ringing anymore. You will still be connected to the network and can make outgoing calls or surf the net while not being disturbed by the incoming call.

oh - and this is from a 270 owner, your thread should go in a more general forum.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  10.    #10  
    Nice try Christo, but I didn't know if there were differences in how you turn off Treo 270 and Treo 300. Maybe your solution of forwarding calls works for all Treo communicators, but doesn't solve my problem without going through many menus. I probably should have mentioned that, but I figured it would be obvious how to turn the phone off with hardware
    Okay, I've read the manual, so please don't refer me to it, but I can't figure out how to turn off the Treo.
    I've read the thread and can't figure out why you need wireless data active and a flashing green light when sleeping? I don't think you can do what you want. People have given you tips, but 3 taps are too much so I think you should be satisfied with turning the whole wireless pipe (voice/data) off at night. Another question, if it's not ringing or buzzing, why is it important that callers in the middle of the night have to listen to a few rings before getting your voicemail. You can't be getting that many calls in the middle of the night and it sounds from your style that everyone who knows you probably knows not to call you in the middle of the night anyway. I don't mean to flame, but I think you are being super picky about this.

I have DSL at home, but don't want to get calls from telemarketers so I have the voice part go to a fax machine with the ringer muted. There's no way to turn off voice, but leave DSL open as they are part of the same pipe. I think this is similar (but not the same) as wireless. You can turn off voice (which by default turns off data), and you can disconnect from data and leave voice active, but you cannot turn off voice and leave data active, imho.
    David
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Nice try Christo, but I didn't know if there were differences in how you turn off Treo 270 and Treo 300. Maybe your solution of forwarding calls works for all Treo communicators, but doesn't solve my problem without going through many menus. I probably should have mentioned that, but I figured it would be obvious how to turn the phone off with hardware
    Just hold the power button down for a few seconds and turn the whole shooting match off. Jeeze.

The Treo is a PDA with a wireless radio. In this context, forget about the distinction between voice and data: they both use the same wireless connection. The wireless radio can be turned on and off (hold the button down for a few seconds). The PDA's display and touch screen input can be turned off by closing the lid or pressing the power button once quickly.
    If you do not want the phone to wake you, why not just use the second ringer setting and set it to vibrate off, and sound mode off. Then when you go to sleep just turn the switch to the second ringer setting.