1.    #1  
    I hate Cingular. Long Story Short, I've never been able to get their Wireless Express service to work reliably on my Treo 180. I know others have. I'm happy for them. But I've had it with Cingular. I've finally called them and just had them turn off all the data services.

Is there a way to switch to another provider? Ideally, keeping the same phone number, though I realize that's a lot to ask. I live in Raleigh-Durham area. Handspring forced me onto Cingular. Are there other choices? I'd just like to give another vendor a shot. I want GPRS. I did the upgrade and couldn't get that to work with Cingular. I hear T-Mobile is now fully supported. Any way to switch? Thanks.
    There is no way to keep your number right now but in the near future(feb) hopefully the FCC will make it so you can. Number portability is going to be come a reality. And the reason that they probably forced you on to Cingular is because t-mobile doesn't have service there. You can see if att has gsm service there but its not good at all.
    The number portability issue is great news. I use my mobile number as my primary business number, and forward the calls to my different offices. I'm stuck with my current provider, because I want to keep the same number.

But if I can take my number with me, then the best cell plan/provider will get my business.
    as far as I understand it, number portability will only work for GSM or iDen because of there chip based design. So that means, nextel, t-mobile, att or cingular...no verizon or sprint.

here is a stor about it
    http://www.mcommercetimes.com/Services/288
    Last edited by pilot1000user; 12/02/2002 at 06:57 PM.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by pilot1000user
    You can see if att has gsm service there but its not good at all.
    Bear in mind, if you can get AT&T's GSM service, that'll probably mean buying an AT&T phone, since they don't officially support the Treo at this point.
    I think that you could just get the service without a phone, all you need is a simcard from them. And I *think* that they are now supporting the treo, but i may be wrong. I was on the phone with an ATT CSR the other day and she told me that there GSM was bad and not to switch to it
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    It'll take some doing to get just a SIM card... by and large they haven't seemed too receptive to that, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK...

There certainly hasn't been any official announcement of support for the Treo. It's GSM, so it works, but...

AT&T does have a Siemens Pocket PC and a BlackBerry (this is the one Palm SG is targeting with the Tungsten W--a "headset only" model), but no word on a Treo at this point.