Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well I just recently purchased my new Treo 300 and now I just found out that Sony Ericsson is soon releasing a new bluetooth integrated phone for Spint's network. Hmmm, all of a sudden a BT-mobile plus Tungsten T combo doesn't look to bad? I'm having second thoughts and wondering if any other users out there may have similar reservations?

The phone is called the T608 and it appears to be a cdma clone of sony ericsson's T68i. All I can say is that HS better release an OS 5 version of Treo fast!!

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=228

http://www.phonescoop.com/img/phones/228_235_1.jpg
    Not me. For me, the point of treo was so that I won't have to carry two devices.
    No way I'm making that switch.
    I agree with mrgarza, one of the biggest reasons I chose the Treo was to only have to carry one device from now on.
    no change for me for 2 reasons. one is i don't want to carry 2 things, the other is i have been waiting for the keyboard... love my treo.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I wouldn't trade for this phone but if the Sony Ericsson P800 had a keyboard and was made for Sprint (unlimited vision) I would consider it.
  7.    #7  
    Well I appreciate everyone's input here... the problem I'm dealing with here is the apparent sacrifice I seem to making in pda functionality with the Treo 300. I also love the fact that I don't have to carry two devices, but I would be much more sure of my decision if the Treo just had the all the features I wanted. If HS only made a OS 5 treo w/high rez screen, BT and SDIO! Then I wouldn't care about the Tungsten T b/c the Treo would be its equal! Am I making the classic mistake of asking one device to do much? But why can't I expect this in a combo device like the Treo b/c that's why I bought it in the first place! ARHHH...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    ...Am I making the classic mistake of asking one device to do much? But why can't I expect this in a combo device like the Treo b/c that's why I bought it in the first place! ARHHH...
    You're not asking for too much, you're just a year or so early!
    To me, a big part of the Treo problem is Sprint. I'm stuck with this contract for another 9 months or so; unless something changes significantly during that period, there's no chance I'd consider another product on the Sprint network.

Now the GPRS flavor of the Tugsten sounds like a possibility. OTOH, my friends with GSM/GPRS tell me that the coverage here (11721) is just as bad as Sprint's.
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    I agree that a high res screen, faster processor and OS5 are important and around the corner for treo but I think one of the important selling points of a small Vision enabled phone with blue tooth combined with a BT PDA is that I don't have to bring a PDA with me ALL the time. I mean I'm a geek just like the next guy but do I need to bring my wireless communicator/PDA (Large enough for text entry via graffiti or keyboard) with me everywhere I go. Bars, Gym, restaurants, etc.

Let's Face it, this little treo 300 of our's is pretty delicate. I don't even but my keys or change in the same pocket as it.

To have a phone that was small and tough that would create a wireless PAN to a small PDA would be more compelling to me.

I love my Treo but I also love to abuse my small phones.... Damed if you do.......

jfink
    I think that this Ericson Phone is a real winner. I think bluetooth for connections is very attractive. This phone is AMPS, CDMA 800 and 1900 mhz.

I would want one feature... Can you use the phone as modem.

If so, then using bluetooth, you would have a device that can act as the wireless connection for a laptop, PocketPC, Bluetooth Palm device, etc.

You are seperating phone and network connectivity from the PDA.

Now, I want a single device, but there are problems with the TREO, particulaly with it being single band. Add the lack of bluetooth or a SD slot and I want the TREO to be updated to triband, bluetooth, and a SD slot.
    I used a sony clie before, it has a hi res screen and mp3 and memory stick slot. I don't miss them at all.
    I'd have no interest in changing.

For me, the point is that I carry one device, and it has it all. The point IS that I always have my wireless PDA on me. I DON'T want to leave it behind -- it's invaluable, and with the somewhat on-call nature of my job, it lets me often fix problems without leaving wherever I am.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I had the T68 Sony on ATT GSM for two weeks and was not impressed. The phone is not as rugged as a Nokia or the Treo for that matter. The GPRS functionality is a joke compared with the online ability of the Treo 300. And Bluetooth is so damned difficult to get connected to. What a joke that is! And it is slow.
    Even Wifi is tough to get going but when it does connect it is far better than BT.

And I presently have a Sprint plan that offers 20 minutes of talk time and UNLIMITED INTERNET. I do not use it for a phone and I pay $30/month for UNLIMITED INTERNET with my Treo. This beats the pants off of the other services like Verizon.

Am I missing something here or have I been lulled into thinking that I have a great deal here.
    Jeff Schaffer
    jschaffer@usa.net
  15. dmp
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but the flip cover on the treo is really nice and very useful. Touch screens, in general, tend to wear out over time and having the screen exposed subjects it to unecessary wear and possible damage. (Think original Palm case that left round ring in center of screen!) I assume the touch screens have gotten better over the years, but having owned and Omnigo, Palm,Palm V, Phillips CE device, the original Handspring, and now a Treo 300, I wouldn't want to chance it.

Doug
    i'm sure that when the next generation of devices comes out in a year or so they will have all of the things we have been missing in this and other threads...

i'm equally sure that by then there will be a bunch of other things we will discover we wish it had. all tech stuff makes me feel like a dog chasing its tail, starting with my franklin ace 1000 computer in 1979 (apple II+ clone)
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I checked out the Palm/Sony BT connection gig a while back, and was similarly tempted. BUT - the allure of the small and up to date Palm was negated by the simple fact of carrying TWO devices, as others have said. Basically, having the always on, (pretty) high speed data is such a change in thinking and Internet access that there's no way I could go back to a multiple device scenario.
    The <only> danger is that Handspring runs out of cash and supporting revenue before (or if) they can come up with compelling successor to the Treo 300. Kyocera has shown some of the way with the 7135 - SD slot and MP3 player are compelling, for sure. Must have the keyboard tho...
  18.    #18  
    I agree that a high res screen, faster processor and OS5 are important and around the corner for treo but I think one of the important selling points of a small Vision enabled phone with blue tooth combined with a BT PDA is that I don't have to bring a PDA with me ALL the time. I mean I'm a geek just like the next guy but do I need to bring my wireless communicator/PDA (Large enough for text entry via graffiti or keyboard) with me everywhere I go. Bars, Gym, restaurants, etc

Hmm, one option I am considering is adding the T608 as a second phone to my plan since you can do that for free on Sprint's plan. That way I can keep my treo and have this cool additional phone too, at least whenever it comes out...

Also does anyone here know the average time frame to the market of new phone from intial submission to the FCC? This phone was just submitted on 11/27/02 according to FCC filings? If its goning to take 6 months or something to get to market, then forget it, i'm keeping my treo.
    i thought a second phone on sprint's plans was $20 per month. did i miss something?
    I've struggled with this same sort of dilemma for a while. With this recent news announcement, it makes the decision even harder, but my take on it is that I don't know that I'd choose this option. I noticed that this device is AMPS (analog) compatible. This makes me wonder if it might not be released by Verizon as well. If you're thinking of going this route with Sprint, I'd want to make sure that their all-you-can-eat data plan would apply to using this phone in conjunction with a PDA. They offer a separate (higher priced) data plan for laptops (when used with their 2.5G PCMCIA card).

Overall, I still think that the perfect device for me doesn't exist yet. I like Sprint's unlimited data plan but their coverage area leaves a lot to be desired for me. I also like the Tungsten T's high-res screen, but I think that the thumbboard makes a lot of sense in a device where you'd be doing a lot of instant messaging and emails. That said, the Treo isn't without its share of faults. As I said already, the Sprint network isn't great for me (to be fair, most of the carriers are bad in my area - the only one I can get a reliable signal for in my house is Verizon). Also, while I like the thumbboard, the left half of the keyboard is harder to type on because the keys are tilted in the same direction as the right half, which is a usability mistake (they should have cloned the Blackberry design better). I also played around with the Treo 90 in a store and found the screen quality to be quite bad. It's a lot better than B&W, but it's a far cry from the worst of the color PDAs, let alone the better ones. Also, now that the OS5/ARM combo is out, it's starting to show it's age. I never considered the Palm OS to be slow, but next to a Tungsten T, the Treo definitely feels slow. This bottleneck also appears to be affecting download speeds.

So, a more perfect device, IMO, would be a new, improved Treo with the following features:
    1) ARM/OS5.
    2) Slightly larger and better quality 320x320 screen (this should be possible to do without increasing the width of the device, as there's some extra plastic around the screen).
    3) Improved thumbboard with keys on the left half tilted in the opposite direction.

Since I'm offering my wish list, here are a couple of other features I'd like to see on it:
    4) Removable battery (preferably higher capacity as well - again, without increasing size/weight).
    5) SD slot (SDIO preferred).

Alternatively, another good solution would be a Tungsten T with a thumbboard hidden under the collapsible area, rather than the Graffiti panel.

Scott
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast