Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How about this comparison...

Treo 300 on Amazon.....$250-$300
    Tungsten TT with new BT phone.....$700-$800

It's cool to have the latest and greatest but my Treo 300 does 95% of what the TT /BT combo does for almost 1/3 of the cost. I had a Tungsten TT for a week, returned it and bought the Treo 300 for half the TT's price on Amazon. Couldn't be happier with that decision.
    Originally posted by jimfenn
    How about this comparison...

Treo 300 on Amazon.....$250-$300
    Tungsten TT with new BT phone.....$700-$800
    To be fair, the Tungsten T is $475 at Amazon (perhaps as low as $450 at other places) and the T68i SonyEricsson T-Mobile is $50 after rebates at Amazon. The Treo 300 is $300 after rebates (the $250 price expired a week or two ago). So, you're talking about $300 vs $525.

Scott
    Well, I don't have a Treo 300 (though I have very seriously considered getting one). But I must say that a CDMA bluetooth phone running on Sprint would definately entice me towards moving to Sprint.

That's saying something too. Because Sprint does not have the coverage or service reputation that Verizon does (which I currently have). But the Sprint offering of unlimited Vision service for $10 extra is so compelling that it could bring a lot of people to their service for Vision, if not voice.

I won't clog up this thread with any more since it's a Treo board and not a Sprint board. But I think this phone (assuming it's actually released and works well) will make a big splash. You could use any mainstream PDA out on the market now and connect via bluetooth (Palm, PPC, Zaurus).

This will become a much bigger deal.
    Originally posted by SteveNYC
    I won't clog up this thread with any more since it's a Treo board and not a Sprint board. But I think this phone (assuming it's actually released and works well) will make a big splash. You could use any mainstream PDA out on the market now and connect via bluetooth (Palm, PPC, Zaurus).

This will become a much bigger deal.
    As I alluded to in my previous post, I wouldn't count our chickens before they hatch. I don't think it's a given that this phone would be considered part of the $10/month unlimited data plan. They might, instead, consider it part of their $99 (or whatever it is) unlimited data plan. Right now, none of their vision compatible phones are bluetooth or serial-cable "compatible" (officially, anyway), so they pretty much know that users will be doing relatively low bandwidth things (with the Treo 300 pushing the limits). This phone, OTOH, would open up the floodgates to people using the Vision service with their laptops, etc. (in the same way they would use the 2.5G PCMCIA cards).

Hopefully, they'll make a "common sense" rule which says that you can use this phone with a PDA for $10 or a laptop for $99 and they'll monitor your bandwidth to make sure you're not trying to pull one over on them.

I think an even better idea would be if they could somehow cap the bandwidth throughput and offer tiered pricing so that you could pay $10 for 10 Kbps, $50 for 50 Kbps, or $100 for 100 Kbps, but I'm not sure that's possible with the 2.5G network. This is what a lot of cable companies are starting to look at for cable modem users.

Scott
  5.    #25  
    As I alluded to in my previous post, I wouldn't count our chickens before they hatch. I don't think it's a given that this phone would be considered part of the $10/month unlimited data plan. They might, instead, consider it part of their $99 (or whatever it is) unlimited data plan. Right now, none of their vision compatible phones are bluetooth or serial-cable "compatible" (officially, anyway), so they pretty much know that users will be doing relatively low bandwidth things (with the Treo 300 pushing the limits). This phone, OTOH, would open up the floodgates to people using the Vision service with their laptops, etc. (in the same way they would use the 2.5G PCMCIA cards).
    Scott, how could they even tell if you were connecting via BT to your pda or not? Also, if sprint suddenly changes their unlimited vision plans then the whole thing is off IMHO. If that happens then I'll forget sprint and go for a GSM/GPRS provider period...

I think an even better idea would be if they could somehow cap the bandwidth throughput and offer tiered pricing so that you could pay $10 for 10 Kbps, $50 for 50 Kbps, or $100 for 100 Kbps, but I'm not sure that's possible with the 2.5G network. This is what a lot of cable companies are starting to look at for cable modem users.
    I think that is a horrbile idea, especially if you are referring to 3G networks as well. The whole point is to get users to sign up b/c of option of getting unlimited data. Also the cable companies want to cap bandwidth on braodband cable/DSL b/c they want to discourage users from using P2P. That is also a bunch of horse S#@$. IMHO, broadband should become cheaper and less expensive, not more expensive and capped. There is already so much bemoaning in the telecomunications industry about the slow adaptation of broadbnad. Such practices if intiated will only serve to exassperate the problem even longer...
  6.    #26  
    i thought a second phone on sprint's plans was $20 per month. did i miss something?
    aarons12,

I have the $85/month plan for 2000 anytime and unlimited data. With this plan I can add a second phone for free. I am not sure if this applies to all of sprint's plans...
    I have the $85/month plan for 2000 anytime and unlimited data. With this plan I can add a second phone for free. I am not sure if this applies to all of sprint's plans...
    Currently that applies to all plans $85 and up. I am on that plan as well w/ a Treo and an LG series for my wife. Nice plan.
    thanks. i have a cheaper plan. i hardly use the phone part, i sit at my desk most of the day and use my onstar phone in the car (talk about cool toys...) that explains why i thought the extra phone was $20
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Scott, how could they even tell if you were connecting via BT to your pda or not?
    Certainly they should have no capability of knowing what type of device that you're connecting to. What they should be able to track, however, is how much bandwidth you're using at any point in time (peak speed) as well as how much total bandwidth you've consumed for the month. If these numbers are high, it would indicate that you're using the phone in conjunction with a laptop vs with a PDA vs just browsing with the phone's built-in WAP browser. Interestingly enough, though, there's a rumor going around that Sprint rushed their 2.5G network to market and doesn't have the ability to track anyone's usage at all.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic I think that is a horrbile idea, especially if you are referring to 3G networks as well. The whole point is to get users to sign up b/c of option of getting unlimited data. Also the cable companies want to cap bandwidth on braodband cable/DSL b/c they want to discourage users from using P2P. That is also a bunch of horse S#@$. IMHO, broadband should become cheaper and less expensive, not more expensive and capped.
    That's all well and good in an ideal world. Believe me, I'm a major consumer advocate and I'm one of the first people to jump all over companies for taking advantage of the consumer. But we need to have realistic expectations here. Is it realistic to expect to be allowed to connect this phone to a laptop, download streaming video all day long, all at $10/month, and not tax Sprint's network, negatively impact other users, and/or allow Sprint to make any sort of profit?

Let me be clear: I'm against the kind of limited monthly bandwidth that companies like T-Mobile are using (e.g. 2MB/month for $10, 10MB/month for $30, etc.). Perhaps if these companies ensured that all their phones had bandwidth meters that were displayed on their screens, I might even be swayed on this issue. However, what I was talking about in my previous post was limiting the speeds. If I'm Joe Shmoe who doesn't own a PDA or laptop and I purchase a Vision phone, I should be able to purchase unlimited data for $10 month with a relatively slow top-speed. I won't care, because WAP won't require much speed. If I own a fast PDA (like the Tungsten T), I'll want more speed, but still won't need anything as fast as my cable modem at home. And I should expect to pay a little more for it. If I have a laptop that I want to connect to my phone and be able to download streaming video and upload/download large files, I'll want even faster speed and, again, should expect to pay more for it. Would I, personally, pay $100/month for unlimited high-speed data? No. That's far too expensive for me. But I can't make an educated assessment of whether or not Sprint can "afford" to sell unlimited high-speed data usage for significantly less. Are you so sure that they can?

Maybe you're right. Maybe they have unlimited wireless high-speed bandwidth to give away and they want to milk us for every penny (with that $100/month laptop plan). I guess I'm just skeptical of it.

Scott
    With all due respect, the new Sprint Sony Ericsson bluetooth phone will likely sell for at least $200 when it is released. In this case the numbers in my earlier post are essentially accurate within $100 or so. The Treo 300 will still cost less than half of the Tungsten TT/BT phone combo.

Now, if you plan to keep the device for two years this difference represents approximately $10 - $15 per month, which more than pays for your Sprint Vision usage. I mention this because the Treo with Vision is my third Internet connection, after work and home dsl. It will never match up to high speed data on a regular computer. However, it enables me to get my email and do some basic surfing while on the road. Cost is a consideration and, imo, the Treo gives the best bang for the buck.

I understand that there are differences in the hardware, having used a Tungsten TT for a week. To me those differences are not worth the additional money. Of course your mileage may vary.
  11.    #31  
    Just to update this thread... I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Sony Ericsson officially announced the release of the T608 last week and they're saying the mobile will be available by the 2nd quarter 2003 which is like in a month. I an very curious to see if Sprint somehow manages to bastardize the BT functionality on this phone so it only works with headsets for example. Otherwise, a BT sprint phone + vision is extremely tempting especially when combined with the new Sony Clie TG50. However, i'm gonna hold my breath and wait until HS comes out with something good by this summer, hopefully...
    Just to update this thread... I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Sony Ericsson officially announced the release of the T608 last week and they're saying the mobile will be available by the 2nd quarter 2003 which is like in a month. I an very curious to see if Sprint somehow manages to bastardize the BT functionality on this phone so it only works with headsets for example. Otherwise, a BT sprint phone + vision is extremely tempting especially when combined with the new Sony Clie TG50. However, i'm gonna hold my breath and wait until HS comes out with something good by this summer, hopefully...
    This is, of course, the 1000 dollar question. I have read that at a recent trade show, the T608 was shown providing internet access for a Sony Clie PDA with Sprint PCS access. At least at that DEMO, the T608 was using the Vision Network and was connecting via BlueTooth.

I also would love to see the T608 as a wireless modem option as well as my personal phone for use with my PDA as well as my laptop.

This would be a very acceptable alternative to the Kyocera 7135...
    Remember that Sprint will not allow $10 unlimited wireless data for laptops.
  14.    #34  
    Remember that Sprint will not allow $10 unlimited wireless data for laptops.
    Well, they don't have to know do they? For example, how many of us are using wireless modem to access vision on our laptops? IMO opinion Sprint will hamper the BT somehow, but hopefully a work-around will be found just like wireless modem...
    Just to update this thread... I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Sony Ericsson officially announced the release of the T608 last week and they're saying the mobile will be available by the 2nd quarter 2003 which is like in a month.
    Well, 2nd quarter means April-June, doesn't it? It always seems that when a company announces that something will come out in x quarter, it usually ends up coming out towards the end of that quarter (or missing it altogether). But we can hope.

I an very curious to see if Sprint somehow manages to bastardize the BT functionality on this phone so it only works with headsets for example. Otherwise, a BT sprint phone + vision is extremely tempting especially when combined with the new Sony Clie TG50. However, i'm gonna hold my breath and wait until HS comes out with something good by this summer, hopefully...
    We talked about this a while ago. My prediction back then was that they would treat this phone like they treat their PCMCIA Vision cards. IOW, you wouldn't be able to get the $10 unlimited Vision plan, but rather the $100 plan. But, now I'm having second thoughts. One thing that would make it difficult for them to do this is that it wouldn't make sense to the average consumer who likes the idea of using it with a BT headset but has no desire to hook it up to a PDA or laptop. This consumer may want to have Vision on the phone for doing whatever web stuff the phone is capable of. Surely they wouldn't want to keep that user from using the Vision services by pricing it too high. So, maybe you're right. Maybe they've worked with Sony-Ericsson to have it locked out of using anything but headsets. If you want to use it with a PDA or laptop, they unlock it for you when you switch to the $100 plan. Or, maybe they don't care if you use it with a PDA and they just say that they'll be monitoring your usage because if you want to use it with a laptop you need to switch to the $100 plan.

Scott
    I thought about the sony 68i and Tungsten, but then I came to my senses!!!

Why 2 pieces of equipment when 1 does fine. I really cannot see any advantage.

I am sure that Handspring (if they're still around) will make the necessary changes on the next generation of 270/300 format to make it Perfect!!!

Well, they don't have to know do they? For example, how many of us are using wireless modem to access vision on our laptops? IMO opinion Sprint will hamper the BT somehow, but hopefully a work-around will be found just like wireless modem...
    Of course they don't have to know, but a simple search through their database (say for those using more t han 25 megs a month) would find everyone.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Definitely getting this phone to use with my Tungsten. However, I still will not get rid of my Treo, either.

One thing that interests me is how fast the Tungsten w/ Snapper and the browser that comes with it will operate via a BT connection versus the Treo 300. The Treo has the direct connection, but OS 3.5 kinda slows things down. Now, the TT is fast as hell. Question is whether that Sprint BT connection would slow it down.

I know a relative comparison can be made with Treo 300 versus a GSM BT connected TT, but thats not the same as Sprint's Network.

Glenn
    W.r.t. "They don't have to know" I was under the impression that the phone itself identifies itself each time it becomes part of The Network, thus even a "database search to find scoundrels" wouldn't be necessary.
    Originally posted by glenng
    Definitely getting this phone to use with my Tungsten. However, I still will not get rid of my Treo, either.

One thing that interests me is how fast the Tungsten w/ Snapper and the browser that comes with it will operate via a BT connection versus the Treo 300. The Treo has the direct connection, but OS 3.5 kinda slows things down. Now, the TT is fast as hell. Question is whether that Sprint BT connection would slow it down.

I know a relative comparison can be made with Treo 300 versus a GSM BT connected TT, but thats not the same as Sprint's Network.

Glenn
    It is my understanding that Sprint's network is indeed faster than the current GPRS network (at least in the US). It is also my understanding that Bluetooth, while slower than 802.11b, is significantly faster than the bandwidth that Vision is capable of, so I would expect the TT or TG50, coupled with this new phone should be faster than the Treo.

Scott
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast