1.    #1  
    Is there any room for improved speeds or is this service already running at its' limit without a major infrastructure upgrade?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    From what I understand (and recall), there will be upgrades to the network over the course of the next year or two that will increase speed.

To find out more accurate info on this subject, good sites to check out as well are:

www.sprintusers.com (see the forums)

www.howardforums.com

I'm sure between these forums, and the ones listed above, someone is sure to give you a more concrete answer than mine.
    I'm not holding my breath for it to get faster on the Treo though.. like hooking up a 486 to a cable modem.. having more bandwidth doesn't help if it can process the info it's receiving fast enough.
    and it's like everything else. the question may not be whether vision will get faster, but when. and of course, the treo won't handle it but by then we will all be hot for another piece of hardware anyway.

in 1979 i was on a 300 baud modem in a machine with 64K (yes, K) of RAM and twin 180k floppy drives. then i and others started losing all the online trivia games because the folks with those new blazing 1200 baud modems could get their answers in quicker!

so the answer is, of course things will get faster, and of course, we will spend money at that time to get the speed...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Actually I just picked this up from the Dec. '02 issue of Laptop Magazine (p. 82):

"In a few years, an improved version of 1xRTT, to be called 3G1XEV-DV, promises to boost Sprint Wireless data rates to 3Mbps-5 Mbps."

But, like I posted previously, I believe there are interim upgrades before we see any of 3Mbps-5 Mbps.

Glenn
    from what i have read on other threads here, and general experience with this kind of electronics, our treo's will be a distant memory 'in a few years'. not only would they most likely not work with the higher speed anyway, but folks are already starting to talk about paint falling off, and other stuff...

just as well, we need new toys on a regular basis anyway
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    aarons12: Absolutely agree, New Toys a Must. They don't come out fast enough. I wasn't expecting to have my treo when 3-5Mbps was a reality.
  8.    #8  
    Okay, perhaps I should have mentioned that I understand that one day a new technology will come along to replace what we are using today with treo.

Let me be more specific... Will I get faster data from my treo 300, and if so what do they expect it to top out at.
    The Treo can handle the fast bandwidth with it's processor fine. I'm fine with the processor for most of the apps, and if a browser is well written it shouldn't take too much to render simple HTML. It's annoying to go to a mobile version of a site and still have it go annoyingly slow. For me to get most of what I want, like a quick sports score or an AP newswire story, I just need bandwidth.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    bmacfarland: from what i have read, I do not think that the treo is capable of handling a significantly more amount of data at quicker speeds. I read somewhere around the boards that said (something to this effect) that palm's os (up to 4.1) was the real bottleneck in the way that it handles downloading data (I think person was speaking in regards to downloading e-mail). It may not necessarily be the processor, but it is the architecture of some sort. He said that OS 5 should handle downloading e-mail (hence, data) a lot quicker, due to architecture and i think the OMAP processor didn't hurt as well.
    What more relevant for a quick sports score is not bandwidth, but latency. The time it takes for your request for data to get to the destination, the response to come back, then the acknowledgement that you've received it to go out again, so more data can be sent.

This is one of the largest delays when doing anything data related..

As for the bandwidth.. well.. every website I go to, the page downloads faster than Blazer or Xiino can render it.. so I'm not complaining about the bandwidth.

I think you overestimate the speed of the Treo processor. It's 33mhz, and heck, just the Fireworks app with a few fireworks going off shows mild slowdown.