1.    #1  
    T-Mobile in the US is my SP. I will be in Rome & Egypt in Dec. TMobile says that I can send/receive voice calls. They were not sure if SMS will work (send as well as receive) while I am in Rome & Egypt. Anyone has had any experience in sending/receiving SMS while roaming from the USA in Europe and/or the middle east?
    I was in Europe in April. Phone access is good with the roaming agreements with Voicestream to local providers. SMS however at that time was slow. If I sent an SMS to the states it took almost a day. I am sure things have improved between the operators by now.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I was traveling in Nice France and Rome Italy and had no problems with SMS.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for comments. Will I be charged extra for sending/receiving SMS msgs while roaming? I assume its not free even though iu have subscribed to the $3 TMobile plan for 500 messages/month.
    I don't know about the SMS charges. Make sure that you call T-Mobile and have your account set up in advance for international roaming. It's free. The rates for international per area are also published at their web site.
    It seems to depend on the operator that you have "selected" while roaming. For instance all 4 operators in the UK seemed to work with my T-Mobile account, sending and receiving SMS, whereas in France it was 3 out of the 4 carriers. When I was in Denmark last, I didn't receive any SMS, but I could send ok.

I don't get the feeling there is a chart somehwere which documents this for all countires - suck it and see I guess. At least while roaming in EU, you can "select network" periodically and see if you start getting messages again.

Oh - when it did work, it was as fast as email.

Its ok for what I use messages for, but not very reliable for critical business use.