Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. I'm thinking about replacing the battery on my 180 myself. Does anyone know what kind it takes / where to order it?

I think I read somewhere that HS charges $100 to replace the battery and I'd have to send it to them. It can't be that hard and my device is out of warranty anyway.

Should I just save up and get a 270 to replace my 180?

Thanks,
    Glen
    Originally posted by gkaatz
    Hi all. I'm thinking about replacing the battery on my 180 myself. Does anyone know what kind it takes / where to order it?

I think I read somewhere that HS charges $100 to replace the battery and I'd have to send it to them. It can't be that hard and my device is out of warranty anyway.

Thanks,
    Glen
    Having seen the inside of a 180 - not mine of course as that would invalidate the warranty I can confirm that it would be very easy to replace the battery... problem is, the battery does not look like it's 'off the shelf'. HS do release design drawings. Perhaps if you got hold of these you could find out who makes the battery... (I received a Treo female plug directly from the manufacturers, completely bypassing HS - it was for an 'experiment', which went horribly wrong)

Sounds like you kind of want that 270 tho. Do it. It's always nicer in colour.
    The battery is made by GS-Melcotec. Part #HND14-0019-02. From the HND part, it appears it would be made for Handspring. But who knows, maybe they could sell them. Here is a picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Do you want another battery or a replacement battery?

If you're having battery problems with the existing batt, that should be a warranty issue.
    Handspring really screwed up by not have a user replaceable battery. But then again, I think it's obvious this thing was not designed be people who were cell phone power users.

If you really want a replacement battery, and don't want to claim it as a warranty issue, then you should look for the battery they use in the 270/300. It's the same form factor, but denser for longer life with the color screen. That would give you even better battery life on the 180.

Actual replacement shouldn't be that hard, the battery uses a plug to connect, so you won't need to solider any connections. Just remove the antenna and screws and swap it out.
    Anybody ever crack open a 270/300 and have the battery part number?
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Here's a shot of the 300's innards (the photo's available in various sizes, so it's definitely readable):

http://dan.nyip.net/pchaos/photos/treo-battery.jpg

This is the topic:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...highlight=Guts
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Here's a thread on the 270, too...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=29709
    are you sure the 270's battery would fit the 180? I wouldn't want to spend the money to find that the plugs don't match or such. Please advice. Really sick of my treo 180 being plugged in to the charger every other minute. I use the phone a lot. Thanks
    No, not sure. But I don't see them making different plugs when the overall design layout is the same. But I don't know where you plan on getting a battery. I contacted the manufacturer and they won't sell any, as it is a Handspring product.
    sigh, just when u think u're going to have a breakthrough....... i guess de only way we're going to get any battery would be to pay a king's ransom to Handspring then. another question, the 270's battery has a capacity of 850mAh what is the battery capacity of the 180's battery? any idea?
    The 300's shrinkwrapped battery cell dimensions are (mm):
    Length: 52.60
    Width : 34.00
    Thickness: 5.50

How does that compare to the 180 battery?
    I opened up a 180 today and the space available for the battery is too small (less than Treo 300 batt width:34mm) so the 300 batt won't fit.
    Regards
    DAMN IT!!!!!! looks like I'm stuck with sticking my 180 in the charger then. Thanks for finding out. Appreciate it.
    No there is still the 270. I believe the 300 dimensions are slightly bigger than the 180 and 270. A 270 battery should fit, if you can source one.
    Has anyone produced an external battery that can connect to the unit through the sync port?

Couldn't a 12 volt DC supply be fashioned and made to connect to the car charging cable? I know it would be clunky and ugly as sin, but there is a need for a portable backup source.

Originally posted by gkaatz

Thanks,
    Glen
    I know this is an old posting. Were you able to replace your Treo battery? I had just purchased a Treo 270 from eBay but would not keep charge. The seller did not declare it. I already sent him my complaint. Anyway, for the most parts the phone seems to work, although the IR would not receive.

Can you tell me if you were able to replace your batteries?

Jvan, in that site, they also sell the external battery for Treo.

There is a website: http://www.handspringbattery.com/ that showed the same part number listed in this same thread. Would that work for a 270?
  17.    #17  
    I never actually found a place that sold the 270 battery. My guess is that it would work fine in the 180...actually I'd bet it was a better battery to support the color screen so it would probably be awesome in the 180.

It's now so late in the game that I'd rather spend $500 for a T600 than 100 for a battery for my 180.

For 270 owners - if HS is going to replace the battery for under $100 it's probably not a bad deal but if you can afford to wait, I'm sure they'll have a trade up program like they did for VisorPhone -> Treo [note: already covered in another thread]
    Brickwalls, I think the craytonelectronics are more expensive than the handspringbatteries.com site.

Thanks anyway. Would the batteries for the 180 would work for the 270?
    here's another site selling treo batteries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast