1.    #1  
    I had to use a Treo 270 as a wireless modem for a IBM ThinkPad laptop. I know there is an internal modem on the laptop but sometimes you need to connect to your mail or to get an important info on the net and you don't have any phone line handy. Suppose you need to reply to an urgent mail while at the airport or in a taxi.
    So you extract your Treo 270, open your laptop and... bingo!
    I installed WirelessModem on the Treo but the laptop had Windows Me installed so irCOMM2k is not a good choice (it's for Windows 2k / XP).
    Then I installed a standard 33600 bps modem on the infrared virtual COM port and now when WirelessModem is on and the two are aligned the link is estabilished!!!
    I can connect (at 9600 bps) to Internet or to Exchange servers but I don't know how reliable and stable is the link. I will try and I will find out however.
    Now, someone can provide a good set of setting to obtain a faster link? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marco Andreoli
    Thanks for this it looks great, if only I could get it to work!

I've tried it with my Latitude C600 running Win2K.

When I try to connect via the Virtual IR comm port I get a dialogue box saying "Dialing...." and it just sits there. No debug comes up on WirelessModem.

Any ideas?
    Andy, please have a look at the extremely long thread in the Treo 300 about using Wireless Modem. There's enough info that is relevant to the 270 as well. I recommend you start at the last page and work your way back to the middle until you've read enough troubleshooting tips to give it a go again yourself.

I had the same problem as you, and it took me a while to notice the error message on the Treo that says it can't establish the GPRS connection (the IR port of my Toshiba is at the back so the Treo screen was hidden behind the laptop screen).

I managed to get it to work on the SFR GPRS network in France with a Toshiba W2K laptop. The two pieces of information I couldn't find in the thread are the initialization string and the phone number to be used when you're not on one of the US networks like most of the contributors. I had a look at the instructions that SFR gives for the Nokia 7650 and the SE T68i, which helped me with the initialization string. The phone number for those models didn't work for the Treo, and I was lucky enough to talk to an SFR tech support guy that gave me an alternative number that did work.

Good luck.
    Which long thread in Treo 300? There's so many !!! Do you have threadid?
    Marco,

I am interested in the setup you have for your Treo 270. I have started to look into using Treo as my internet access when I am on the road as hotels are charging a lot on phone usage now a days. I am using the WirelessModem software and IRComm but could not get it to work at all.

Can you send me the settings you have on the "... installed a standard 33600 bps modem on the infrared virtual COM port ..."? I am assuming this is on the PC.

Also please send the the settings on your Treo under Preference > Connection and Preference > Network.

I saw the long thread on the Wireless Modem here but none of those discussion help.

Thanks,

Ronnie
    Originally posted by ronbo2000
    Marco,

I am interested in the setup you have for your Treo 270. I have started to look into using Treo as my internet access when I am on the road as hotels are charging a lot on phone usage now a days. I am using the WirelessModem software and IRComm but could not get it to work at all.

Can you send me the settings you have on the "... installed a standard 33600 bps modem on the infrared virtual COM port ..."? I am assuming this is on the PC.

Also please send the the settings on your Treo under Preference > Connection and Preference > Network.

I saw the long thread on the Wireless Modem here but none of those discussion help.

Thanks,

Ronnie
    Try PalmNet. I tried the demo version a few months ago and it worked very well. I didn't have much use for it at the time so I uninstalled it. Unfortunately, although WiressModem was first to offer this feature, it has had two drabacks. It is unsupported software and it doesn't have USB support in Windows, so you have to use IR, which is not very reliable and is slow. PalmNet has a PC-side client, which could be seen as a disadvantage compared to WirelessModem, but setting it up is very simple.
    Thank you for your response. I would have love to use PalmNet if only it supported serial connector.

I have a problem with my PC as the USB Host controller (Intel 82371AB/EB) is not fully supported by Microsoft Win2000 HCL. Handspring confirms this issue. I have verified it by purchasing another HS USB Cable and it still did not work. Tried all solutions from HS site. No resolution, so I am stuck with Serial cable as my main HotSync tool. Do you know if PalmNet can work with Serial cable?

Meanwhile, all is not as bad with WirelessModem. I was able to configure it successfully with by Treo 180. Slow though, 9.6kbps but workable. The only issue I have is that it is a dial up solution. My real wish is to use the GPRS connection that is provided by T-Mo.

Thanks again, users of TreoCentral for being very helpful.

Ronnie
    You should be able to use WirelessModem with GPRS. I have done that in the past but I don't have the setup information anymore. You can search this site for information on that.

The real benefit though is NOT faster data, but better battery performance. I was still getting the effective speed of roughly a 9.6Kbps modem with GPRS and IR through WirelessModem.
    Originally posted by silverado
    You should be able to use WirelessModem with GPRS. I have done that in the past but I don't have the setup information anymore. You can search this site for information on that.

The real benefit though is NOT faster data, but better battery performance. I was still getting the effective speed of roughly a 9.6Kbps modem with GPRS and IR through WirelessModem.
    I will search and try it out. I will post here for any success in process.
    I've love to get info on how to do this (for a Mac). I've searched this site and the only specific info I find is for Sprint, not T-Mobile or even GPRS. Right now I can't get this to work, I've used a number of phones with bluetooth with my Mac, so I understand the basics, but just can't get wirelessmodem to work. I've read all the documentation also and it's not been any help unfortunately.

Originally posted by silverado
    Originally posted by ronbo2000

I will search and try it out. I will post here for any success in process.
    WirelessModem's web site also had user anecdoes about making it work and their setup. It was all collected in their "help" or "faq".
    Looked at my remnant dialup connections on my laptop and I think I still have the profile that worked. The number I was dialing is "*99***1#" (without the quotes). It's using a standard 14400 bps modem. I remember futsing with many other modem types but they didn't work.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want other setup parameters.
    I am trying to get my Treo 270 (T-Mobile GPRS) to connect to my XP laptop. It acts like it is connecting and it just hangs.... it says dialing.... and the pda says 584k... but it just stalls...

Has anyone been able to get pdanet working with the Treo 270 and T-Mobile GPRS... . I hear it is supposed to be fast...

Thanks,

Ryan