1.    #1  
    This is probably a really dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway ...

I've been considering the GPRS update but I don't have enough understanding of what the benefits are and what this does to my T180g.

- For example, if I update my unit will I still be able to use it in GSM networks or is it only GPRS?
    - If the unit is "always online" am I only being charged for real time usage?
    Originally posted by arkitekt
    If the unit is "always online" am I only being charged for real time usage?
    There is no "time." On GPRS plans, you're charged by the amount of data you upload & download (viewing a web page, checking emails, sending emails, etc.)

That's why GPRS plans are in terms of megs of data, rather than per-minute charges.

I consider it a good thing because you can spend 300 hours looking at the same web page, and never be charged for the minutes spent gazing at the wonderment. You're only charged for the MB size of the page when you loaded it. So, if you have 400 voice minutes on your plan, and 10 MB, you can yakk on the phone for the full 400 minutes, and, additionally, accesss 10 MB worth of data over as long a time as you want (provided, of course, it's within the plan month).

Maybe this is crazy llama speaking now, but I always feel slightly "under the gun" when I'm on a CSD Internet connection ... my brain's always thinking ... "Come, on, come on, hurry up and load! My minutes are draining here! Come on!" With GPRS, that worry disappears.
  3.    #3  
    ok ... obviously once my treo has been updated for gprs would it still be compatible with gsm networks? i'm assuming it won't be able to operate in both gprs/gsm?
    Don't mix the 2 up. Your treo works on the GSM network technology to communicate as a cell phone. GPRS is a technology that piggybacks on the GSM network to communicate the data transfer of information.
    So to answer your question, yes your treo is still compatible with GSM.
    Originally posted by arkitekt
    ok ... obviously once my treo has been updated for gprs would it still be compatible with gsm networks? i'm assuming it won't be able to operate in both gprs/gsm?
    Millerhifi is correct.
    Think of it this way:
    When you talk, it's ALWAYS GSM (so, GSM handles voice)
    When you surf or email, it CAN be GPRS (but doesn't have to be - ie. you can still dial into your ISP if you wish). (so GPRS handles data).
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    >With GPRS, that worry disappears.

Yeah but a whole new cluster of worries is introduced. "This page is huge - am I over my limit?" etc. There are pros and cons to both sides. I sure wish T-Mobile would introduce a data plan like Sprint's.