1.    #1  
    I am a fairly happy new owner of a 300. I have been downloading apps and playing with it for a couple of days, as well as comparing it side by side to my friends Sidekick. So far I really like just about everything about it. As a pda it is functional, as a phone its functional (a tad large) and as a wireless data device its great. The problem I have is trying to use it for these things as the same time. Is it possible with sprints 3g network that our devices will be able to accept pushed e-mail and perhaps (most important to me) pushed IMs? I love the way my buddy's Sidekick will interupt him while browsing to give him a phone call, or just let him know hes got a new IM even when he isn't using the device. So far it seems to me that I must be connected with the data connection to get new IMs.

Does the 270s newly given GPRS abilities allow it to behave more like the Sidekick? (One of the threads here seems to hint that).

Is there any hope? Or do I just have to wait for programs that will pull the data off the network at intervals?

-zbose
    There are only three things that are push on the Treo 300.

1. Phone calls.
    2. Voicemail notifications.
    3. SMS (the 160 char kind)

For everything else, you must be running the app corresponding to that service. To receive ICQ IMs you must be actively running the ICQ app.

Some services can give a sort oof pseudo-push by sending you an SMS when you receive an email or I'm but you still have to go get them at that point.

Additionally, you can't receive incoming calls while sending or receiving data. Calls will automatically rollover to voicemail. You can get calls while in a net using app as long as it isn't actively sending or retrieving data at the time.

Typed entirely on my Treo from a friend's house.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the insight. I have a couple more questions though

Now is this the same (the push features) for the treo 270? Or does it have more push ability?

I can live with the phone the way it is, until sprint has something better to offer (or T-mobile comes out with a more appealing plan) but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on something. Do most people just leave their 300s connected to the network all the time? IE, use blazer to sign on, but not tell it to disconnect? If i can still recieve phone calls like this, then I would be much happier, but I was under the impression that it wouldn't work that way, so I have been disconnecting from IM, blazer, etc each time, which is ok, but not too pleasant when i want to switch from phone to data to phone again.

-zbose
    Originally posted by zbose

Now is this the same (the push features) for the treo 270? Or does it have more push ability?

I can live with the phone the way it is, until sprint has something better to offer (or T-mobile comes out with a more appealing plan) but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on something. Do most people just leave their 300s connected to the network all the time? IE, use blazer to sign on, but not tell it to disconnect? If i can still recieve phone calls like this, then I would be much happier, but I was under the impression that it wouldn't work that way, so I have been disconnecting from IM, blazer, etc each time, which is ok, but not too pleasant when i want to switch from phone to data to phone again.
    I don't own a Treo 270, so I can't tell you for sure, but I'm fairly certainly it's the same. If there's a difference, it may be that you can receive incoming calls while getting/sending data. But I'm very uncertain about that part. As far as you're concerned, it's the same.

Many people leave their 300s connected to the network all the time. I often do. You CAN still receive phone calls as long as the app is not actively sending/receiving data.

Keep in mind Blazer is different from ICQ, AIM, chat servers, etc. Blazer requests a web page, gets the response, then has no other communications. ICQ/AIM could keep sending data back and forth on the status of things, meaning (a) no other app can use the data access until you close that app (b) you may not receive calls.

Keep in mind, say you're downloading a file. Someone calls, but it rolls over to voicemail. You never hear your phone ring. However, even though the download is still going, you get the new voicemail notification.

The only reason some 300 owners may not keep their data connections on full time is because the sessions appear to die over time. It may be Sprint idle-disconnecting them after a few hours. Either way, the Treo doesn't realize the session is dead, so the next app to try to use the connection fails -- times out after a long delay. Sometimes the Treo then realizes the connection is dead and closes it, so upon the next attempt, it is reopened without problem. But other times, it still doesn't realize the connection is dead, and it's unable to access the net until you come and manually disconnect it.

I don't worry about it too much, so I leave it connected during the day, but tend to disconnect it before going to sleep, particularly since net access is helpful for receiving shortmails.
    By now, hopefully we answered your question that there is no pure push, except phonecalls, voicemail, and SMS. However a free Yahoo e-mail account has the ability to send you and SMS notification (if you go to mobile.yahoo.com configure it for your phone, and set up a mail filter) pretty much within 3-5 seconds (in my tests) of receiving the mail. In the SMS notification, you get the sender, subject, and a short message. I don't think you can reply back to this or anything like that, but you can then log into your account and e-mail back if it's an e-mail that seems worthy. With the Yahoo Mail Plus (a pay feature), you could set up a mail client on your Palm (Eudora and Snappermail seem to be popular) to send and receive mail through the pop account.

I have no solution for push IM, and I'd love to hear one, but it would have to have it's own filtering ability so I can allow only some special people to IM me rather than some acquantace, who I can catch up with anytime.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    However a free Yahoo e-mail account has the ability to send you and SMS notification (if you go to mobile.yahoo.com configure it for your phone, and set up a mail filter) pretty much within 3-5 seconds (in my tests) of receiving the mail. In the SMS notification, you get the sender, subject, and a short message.
    I used to use Yahoo as my e-mail and had the notifications pushed out to my phone, but I was receiving hundreds of SMS's a month, and you only get 50 free with WW. But now that I am using my Sprint e-mail account I get unlimited notifications for free. The only real drawback is that you don't get any sender info like with Yahoo. But it's not worth $10 a month for me to have that, plus the $20 year to be able to pop.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I have been using Business Connection to push my e-mail and it works well. There is usually less than a 30 second gap from an email hitting my pc to when it hits the Treo.
    Originally posted by Robert K.

I used to use Yahoo as my e-mail and had the notifications pushed out to my phone, but I was receiving hundreds of SMS's a month, and you only get 50 free with WW. But now that I am using my Sprint e-mail account I get unlimited notifications for free. The only real drawback is that you don't get any sender info like with Yahoo. But it's not worth $10 a month for me to have that, plus the $20 year to be able to pop.
    Robert, I thought of that as well, it would suck to get wake up at 3 AM to spam. Fortunately you can tell people that if they want to reach your cell phone to include something like "mobile:" in the subject line and set a filter for that. Or you can put certain people in the filter to forward to the phone. I don't know how many people would remember that though. If you had a web page you could set up a simple enough "mailto:" link to do the subject line dirty work.

The problem that I have with the Sprint PCS account is that people still use my Yahoo as my primary e-mail address and I'm not sure if I'm always going to be a customer of Sprint, so I fear changing my information too many times.

Robert, I thought of that as well, it would suck to get wake up at 3 AM to spam. Fortunately you can tell people that if they want to reach your cell phone to include something like "mobile:" in the subject line and set a filter for that. Or you can put certain people in the filter to forward to the phone. I don't know how many people would remember that though. If you had a web page you could set up a simple enough "mailto:" link to do the subject line dirty work.

The problem that I have with the Sprint PCS account is that people still use my Yahoo as my primary e-mail address and I'm not sure if I'm always going to be a customer of Sprint, so I fear changing my information too many times.
    Luckily I only have given out my Sprint address to just a handful of people and discussion boards.... and I NEVER register at any other kind of site with that address. I have yet to get even ONE spam e-mail

The worst thing is that Sprint's e-mail site has been down for the last 2 days... I can pop it with my Treo, but can't get to it on my computer. Could they have possibly discontinued support for the old Sprint e-mail site? If someone could try to get there and let me know that would be great
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
  10.    #10  
    Now, I have lots of people mention business connection. Does it truly push the e-mail down? Or does it simulate it the same way others are doing with sms/shortmail?

Originally posted by dboris
    I have been using Business Connection to push my e-mail and it works well. There is usually less than a 30 second gap from an email hitting my pc to when it hits the Treo.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks everyone for all the answers. All very helpful to me. I think I will go with the yahoo mail suggestion bmacfarland mentioned. That sounds adequate for my needs. In addition to leaving data always on. I guess I will do some experiments with when I can and cannot recieve phone calls.

One final question, I understand that we get unlimited sms notifications, but with a program like treo300sms, am I getting charged each time I send out an SMS? I know my buddy with t-mobile has a max number of sms's he can send out before he starts getting charged.

Thanks again!

By now, hopefully we answered your question that there is no pure push, except phonecalls, voicemail, and SMS. However a free Yahoo e-mail account has the ability to send you and SMS notification (if you go to mobile.yahoo.com configure it for your phone, and set up a mail filter) pretty much within 3-5 seconds (in my tests) of receiving the mail. In the SMS notification, you get the sender, subject, and a short message. I don't think you can reply back to this or anything like that, but you can then log into your account and e-mail back if it's an e-mail that seems worthy. With the Yahoo Mail Plus (a pay feature), you could set up a mail client on your Palm (Eudora and Snappermail seem to be popular) to send and receive mail through the pop account.

I have no solution for push IM, and I'd love to hear one, but it would have to have it's own filtering ability so I can allow only some special people to IM me rather than some acquantace, who I can catch up with anytime.
    It's good to be able to give a little back to the board. I have to admit that I didn't come upon this solution on my own, someone else helped me with it in another thread. It does seem to be a good solution though.
    Originally posted by zbose
    One final question, I understand that we get unlimited sms notifications, but with a program like treo300sms, am I getting charged each time I send out an SMS? I know my buddy with t-mobile has a max number of sms's he can send out before he starts getting charged.
    I don't know the answer to your question (although if I'd have to guess I'd say no, since vision is an unlimited service) - but does treo300sms let you send and recieve SMS's to non sprint phones?
  14.    #14  
    It sure does. I have been sending and recieving messages with my friend who has a Sidekick (tmobile).

I haven't been able to find any limitations/pricing/user comments about sms costing anything through sprint, so I will assume its free until my first bill comes
    Treo300SMS uses your data connection to retrieve shortmails and send SMS messages. It does not cost anything assuming you are under the unlimited data plan.

As for IM push hacks, I have one that I'm using. Trillian Pro (the pay version) has a free plugin called IM Forwarder. It can forward incoming IMs that start with a certain keyword to your phone. It works great. It can also split long messages up into 160-char chunks.

You can control who is able to reach you that way by only telling those you want the keyword, for example, SMSPAGE.

I find it handy, I can see in the SMS if someone just sent me an URL or something, but if they want to chat with me, I can then logon to ICQ/AIM/whatever and have the full conversation.
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    You can control who is able to reach you that way by only telling those you want the keyword, for example, SMSPAGE.

I find it handy, I can see in the SMS if someone just sent me an URL or something, but if they want to chat with me, I can then logon to ICQ/AIM/whatever and have the full conversation.
    I use Trillian too... but it seems to me with this method, once you log in from your Treo, it will kick Trillian out on your PC, and it wont re-connect. So it's only good for the first IM? Unless you're using a different screen name.
  17.    #17  
    Thats a great idea! I guess i have a reason to go out an buy trillian pro now.

Thanks!
    I use my Treo to retrieve personal and corporate mail. Here's how I accomplish the following goals:

1. Access to all email from any location (where I have coverage!)

2. NO PUSH. I get LOTS of email and don't want literally constant interruptions.

3. Filtering. I get a lot of personal email that I don't need on the road. Therefore, I don't want to download it. (Weather bulletins, etc...)

4. While maintaining no push, the ability to get pushed urgent emails sent to a unique address (given to my admin and boss only).

So, what I did is the following:

I use Eudora, which is set up to pop my personal email, my sprintpcs.com email, and my corporate email.

Our IS guy set up two additional email aliases for me:

1. "Joe-Pager" points to <phone number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com - so I can get SMS messages without everyone needing to remember the email address

2. "Joe-Phone" points to <email>@sprintpcs.com, on which I have the option enabled (via Sprint's web site) to send an SMS when an email is received).

So, regular email gets sent to my personal or work email, where I get it when I have time (at the airport, say), messages of an urgent nature can be SMS'ed or emailed to Sprint with convenient email aliases. Suits my needs!

- Joe
    Originally posted by CySurflex

I use Trillian too... but it seems to me with this method, once you log in from your Treo, it will kick Trillian out on your PC, and it wont re-connect. So it's only good for the first IM? Unless you're using a different screen name.
    I use different accounts/screen names on my Treo. That way logging on doesn't interrupt my desktop sessions, which I wouldn't want even if I wasn't doing the IM forwarding stuff.
    Hi everyone,

I thought maybe I could help someone too in regards to being notified of emails via sms. If that works for you.

I was reading other post in this thread and I too have a solution to offer for those all over the world. I tried to use Yahoo mobile to push mail to Treo but the website would not accept my number it being from Germany. It would only accept stateside numbers. The same for Sprint. I would have loved to use Yahoo as I had a Yahoo account. Question if someone knows how to get Yahoo to accept this number - country code(0049) area code (160) and phone number (262-xxxx). Please let me know.

I'm finding out alot of things will only work if you live in the states. So I found another email provider that did forward emails to any phone number via sms. No matter where in the world you live. No matter what country code your phone uses it will forward your emails instantanously upon receiving new mail. I'm pretty sure there's more than this one out there if you know of any tell me.

The prices are fair. Not like Sprint or yahoo but fair. For those who live in other places besides the states which I am from but circumstances has put me in Germany, this email provider will work. I've been using them for a few months and love it. A great email site that doesn't receive any spam and looks professional and is based in Canada( I say that because they list their phone number which is a canadian area code) but still forward emails regardless of where I am. I travelled to U.K., Italy,and Holland and still received my emails via sms. Word to the wise use their filter for email notification via sms because it can get annoying if you receive alot of emails a day.

So if you have a phone number that's other than a stateside number and have tried Sprint or Yahoo email, one service I do know will work the same as others is Ipipi.com
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com