Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I don't want to pay Amazon $40 or Handspring $50 for something that I believe should have been included...

Are cradles for other treo models the same? Is the AC adapter the same?

TIA.

Michael
    Last edited by msgott; 11/26/2002 at 09:52 AM.
    You mean an inexpensive cradle, no? The connections on the bottom of the Treo 300 is the same as the others. In fact I use my 180 wiring on my 300.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I hunted high and low and couldn't find one cheaper than $40. And that's Handspring's standard cradle (nothing 300-specific).
    Pony up the $39.99 and get it! It's well worth it, even though it should have been included.

NCTreo300
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by NCTreo300
    Pony up the $39.99 and get it! It's well worth it, even though it should have been included.

NCTreo300
    Oh yeah, I got two. I love them. 40 bucks is too much, but they're nice. They're good and heavy.
    actually, i just use a $10 usb sync/charge cable i got on ebay, and have not felt the need for a cradle. i have not used a palm or other sync'ed pda in the past so maybe i just don't know what i am missing.

can anybody suggest why i might want the cradle? really... the price doesn't bother me, just wonder how its better... open to being convinced
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    it's nice to have a dedicated place to put the treo and it's easier to place it into a cradle then it is to connect the cable.

Does the $10 cable also charge the Treo? I.e., did it come with an AC adapter. One guy on ebay said that his charges the treo through the USB port, but that seems like it can't be the case....
    Yes, the USB cable does indeed charge the treo too. I think it's probably a little slower charging than the original cable/power supply. As long as the computer is on (so the usb port is powered) it will charge.
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    that's absolutely the case, it uses the power from the usb port to charge it, and i must say, it charges it pretty quickly.

i have a small office, so my treo hangs on a wall peg in its case within arms reach. if i know it has lost some charge, i plug it into the sync/charge cable and do a sync and just leave it on top of my computer for a while, also in arm's reach.

click here to check the ebay auctions. seem to all be from the same person, but just to be clear, i am not a commissioned salesperson for him or anything. you can also get these cables at other sites. i just have gotten used to shopping on ebay.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/pdaandcel...pt1/index.html

(scroll through and look for the treo 90 and 300 hotsync cable. though some of the other stuff looks pretty neat too)
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I picked up a charging/syncing cable on EBay for $10 (buy it now) that works very well. I agree that it might be slower than the supplied cable with an external power source, but, hey, $10? It certainly is the affordable route compared to the cradle. I don't take my treo out of it's leather case much, so this works better than a cradle might for me.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1382026173

I got a cable on eBay (see link above) and it does **NOT** fit the Treo.
    The Vendor told me "Well, sometimes they are a little stiff the first few times so you need to push on it REAL HARD"...
    I am not going to push REAL HARD on a $5 cable to get it into a phone I paid $500 for.
    It would cost me another $5 to ship it back (insured per his demand).. I left him negative feedback due to his poor communication and lack of customer service. He just had his pal "jonboysez" bury his negative feedbacks with GOOD feedbacks as he has many other times.

Buyer beware... The package said TREO on it and it had not been opened. There is some real cr@p out there and the cable I got was part of it.

When I think about it - if they can screw up on the fit of the cable, can't they screw up the wiring and put 12volts into a serial input port? You bet they can...

I am buying only from Sprint / Handspring or an authorized reseller.. Don't smoke your phone just to save a coupla bucks!
    Regards - Randy "Thumper-7"

Sprint's Customer Service will eventually put them out of business!
    I order an AC adpater from this guy and it appears to be genuine and fits perfectly. I use it while at work. I bought a cradle from handspring using a 10.00 rebate they gave me when I registered. The cradle is an necessity.---->in my opinion.
    a2rob

Originally posted by aarons12
    that's absolutely the case, it uses the power from the usb port to charge it, and i must say, it charges it pretty quickly.

i have a small office, so my treo hangs on a wall peg in its case within arms reach. if i know it has lost some charge, i plug it into the sync/charge cable and do a sync and just leave it on top of my computer for a while, also in arm's reach.

click here to check the ebay auctions. seem to all be from the same person, but just to be clear, i am not a commissioned salesperson for him or anything. you can also get these cables at other sites. i just have gotten used to shopping on ebay.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/pdaandcel...pt1/index.html

(scroll through and look for the treo 90 and 300 hotsync cable. though some of the other stuff looks pretty neat too)
    Originally posted by Thumper-7
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1382026173

I got a cable on eBay (see link above) and it does **NOT** fit the Treo.
    The Vendor told me "Well, sometimes they are a little stiff the first few times so you need to push on it REAL HARD"...
    I am not going to push REAL HARD on a $5 cable to get it into a phone I paid $500 for.

I am buying only from Sprint / Handspring or an authorized reseller.. Don't smoke your phone just to save a coupla bucks!
    thanks for the warning. in all fairness i would like to point out that my link was to a different seller and i had no problem, and also another post above indicated no problem with yet another person.
    Last edited by aarons12; 11/26/2002 at 08:12 PM.
    Just to clarify, I bought the cable that works just fine from seller Peakcloudy. His/her online store is at http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8728164.

I had no trouble fitting the plug into my treo, and I've been using it for over a month without a problem. YMMV.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Best argument for the cradle, IMHO, is that it leaves the Treo open, facing you on your desk. With the cable, you eaitehr have the Treo backwards/sideways, or you have cable dropping down the front of your desk.

Anyone know whether the standard Palm option of "leave on in cradle" exists for the Treo? My Palm V had that, and I found it really useful.
    I would think you could make a quick stand that would perform the function of holding it upright. I'll get my Playdoh, you preheat the oven ;-). As far as leaving it on, I don't know of this feature for any of the Palm series, as I'm somewhat new to Palm, but I can't imagine why I would leave it on when it's instant on anyway. Maybe if I was transcribing text or something, but then I'd probably just sync it to my desktop.
    I find that turning the Treo "on" when the cover is open is not particularly easy. The reason to leave it "on" in the cradle is to have access to all the Palm programs that are loaded. For instance, I use the calculator quite often. Its a lot faster than opening up excel on my laptop. I also use the flight schedules and other programs that are on the Treo. If its "on", I can leave whatever program I'm in running, and be able to come back to it without having to fool with buttons, on-switches, etc. Call me old-fashioned, but I've been using a Palm since the US Robotics Pilot 5000 days, and having it always on in the cradle suits my method of work quite well.
    while in the cradle or on the charging cable. The author's website says it's for the visor, but it works fine on my T300. I'm guessing the lack of "on while charging" is a Handspring thing. Tho, I don't recall seeing it on my Pilot 5000 :-) . Stuff like PalmOrb is best when used in the cradle.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Millerhifi gave me this fix:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=29667

""Open a new memo:

Type the following into the new memo:

.3 without any spaces.

The is keyed by pressing "s" then the list key button "...". [hocndoc, here: that's the "O..." key]

The text will then change to "[No Auto-off]"

How long this lasts I do not know. But it should work if you do that, then start your program.""
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I guess I am sensitive to smells, but there is a strong odor of solder coming from the cradle...I returned it and got a new one and it is the same!

I am looking for another cradle...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast