Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How are people clocking their data downloading speeds? I haven't seen a piece of software that does this. I've seen about 100 people ask on this board, but no answers. Bonus points for someone being able to measure upstream data.
  2.    #2  
    So far 112 people have looked at this and no one has a clue? I've seen people say 50-70K, but it feels no faster than the 19.2 I was getting on my CDPD modem.
    This is from Treo Central: "Connection Speed

When you are connecting to your ISP and it says "dialing ..." hit the scroll down button and you can see the number it's dialing and the baud rate that it connects at. So far,I always connect at 9600 (submitted by AbortRetryFail?).
    The slow processor of the Treo is what really kills the data speeds. If you want to find out how fast it is, just figure out how big a website is, and then count, One One Thousand, Two One Thousand and so on, till the site is done loading, then just do the math and whamm-o, you'll know the speed.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    How are people clocking their data downloading speeds? I haven't seen a piece of software that does this. I've seen about 100 people ask on this board, but no answers. Bonus points for someone being able to measure upstream data.
    I have WirelessModem installed using Treo300 as my modem. My laptop is running WinXP and uses the IR port to connect to the Treo. I then go to dslreports.com and the speeds I get:

Starbucks in Bolingbrook, IL: 26kbps down/20k up yesterday
    Borders in Wheaton, IL: 19k down/9 up right now

I am connecting via the Vision network, but I do not know what portion is the network versus my set-up with the WirelessModem etc. But my guess is that your numbers should be at least as good as this set up when using the Treo300 by itself. YMMV.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, either it doesn't work the same on the Treo 300 (it was written pre- Treo 300 I think) or I just can't seem to get it to work. I don't know what counts for "connecting" though. When I turn wireless mode on and I get the welcome screen (doesn't work there), or when I when it establishing the connection to my vision network (different set of screens, but doesn't seem to work here either)? I can't seem to find a third way to connect where I might find this. I do use the trick to find out how much battery life I have though all the time.
  7.    #7  
    I don't have Wireless Modem and from the thread it's a hassle to set up and seems especially pointless when I have a cable modem going to my desktop. So I had tried sites like http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/ on blazer, but for some reason the submit button doesn't actually perform the test, but bounces back to the original page over and over again. Perhaps Blazer doesn't support that redirect or something.

I was going to give dslreports.com a try, but it sounds like they use java applets which Blazer would choke on. I think my best plan right now is to use the Text Page Size Variation at http://komodo.mozilla.org/buster/ and take a stopwatch and calculator to it. I'm still holding out for an easier way.
  8.    #8  
    But for things like text, layout should be quick. JPGs should render quickly as well because they seem to render quickly in the photo apps for the Palm. I'm finding things are slow on pages that are straight text, mobile sites.
    I don't have Wireless Modem and from the thread it's a hassle to set up and seems especially pointless when I have a cable modem going to my desktop. So I had tried sites like http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/ on blazer, but for some reason the submit button doesn't actually perform the test, but bounces back to the original page over and over again. Perhaps Blazer doesn't support that redirect or something.
    Anything through Blazer is not going to give an accurate speed rating as Blazer goes through a proxy server at Handspring. It can give you an estimate, but nothing accurate.
  10.    #10  
    That's a good point on Blazer, but that's the app that I really notice the slow speeds on. So while it may not be scientifically correct it would be perceptually correct. (If Blazer seems to return pages through the proxy at 14.4, then I think I have a legit complaint to make to Sprint).

Perhaps I should get another Palm browser that doen't goes through a proxy. I hadn't thought much about it, because I thought Blazer was the best for the Palm. Maybe that's why the browser threads run for many pages.... :-)

Perhaps I should get another Palm browser that doen't goes through a proxy. I hadn't thought much about it, because I thought Blazer was the best for the Palm. Maybe that's why the browser threads run for many pages.... :-)
    To me Xiino seems much much faster than Blazer. And I access the same sites on both of them, so I can say that from experience. I think that Blazer displays graphics better, but lots of times makes you scroll left to right. Overall I prefer Xiino because of the speed. And when I need serious speed I use Eudora Web.

Hey... anyone know why the Openwave WAP browser was not included with the Treo??
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I just got my Treo 300 about two weeks ago. Every time I connect it says I am connecting at 300 (using the page down button while signing on). I'm pretty sure it is set up to connect at up to 56K. Does anybody else experience this?
    Hi

Set up wirelessmodem tonight. Worked first time. Now, to see what kind of speed I can get.

XP reports that it is connecting at 9.6Kbps. Is that what others see?
    Set up wireless modem for the first time tonight on my new Power Book. Easily 2x faster than land line modem connection at the hotel and infinitely faster than Blazer. Thanks, Scott, for an incredible app! It is a must-have for all OS X/Treo 300 users.
    I have Beagle 92's problem also. It always comes up 300 for me... and it feels slooooooow.
    When connecting via WirelessModem in WinXP, it always displays a 9600 baud connection. This is the default speed when XP doesn't know what the connection really was at. That 9600 baud is not correct, since I get higher bandwidth as reported through DSLReports.

Another note, some bandwidth testers use jpeg files to measure your bandwidth. This is not completely correct since Sprint seems to downsample the images. In other words, the reported speed through jpeg or graphics bandwith testers would show higher than what you get in reality.

In regards to speed, I get around 15-30k when using the Treo 300, WirelessModem, InfraRed, WinXP, and DSLReports (which, I believe, uses mp3 files to test your bandwidth).

I get around 30-60k using the Treo 300, WirelessModem, USB, MacOS 10.2 Jaguar, and DSLReports.

I did get 93k download in one test on the Mac with USB and DSLReports. It chose to test my connection with the 300k test files!

Your speed will also vary depending on where you are connecting to the network within the US. I heard a reader in San Francisco got near 144k!
    Bump

Does anyone else always get the "Connecting to" message only at 300? Is this a Treo thing or a Spring thing? TIA.
    Originally posted by pancha_villa
    Set up wireless modem for the first time tonight on my new Power Book. Easily 2x faster than land line modem connection at the hotel and infinitely faster than Blazer. Thanks, Scott, for an incredible app! It is a must-have for all OS X/Treo 300 users.
    I totally agree. I can only get dialup at home, so I often use Scott's Wireless Modem to connect. The speed varies a lot, but at its best, it's faster than copper.
    I'm seeing the same 300 connection speed as Beagle92 and Redbeard25. Since others are seeing much higher speeds, I must be doing something wrong. Any hints?
    I'm not sure what the 300 means. I don't think it means baud. Even the speed within Blazer/Xiino seem much faster than 300 baud.

Could the 300 mean it's a Treo 300 connecting?

Anyway, don't be confused with the difference between the 300 showing up at connection time and the connection speed within Windows using Wireless Modem. They are two different things.

The Treo has always shown (for me) 300 at connection time -on the Treo- when connecting and pressing the down arrow on the Treo. With Wireless Modem and IR, I've always gotten a 9.6k connection in Win XP. With a serial cable and XP, I get 57.6k. On the Mac w/ Jaguar and USB, I get a 115k connection. None of those numbers are actual bandwidth speeds. You must run a bandwidth test to find that out. They aren't even limits on your speed (the bandwidth test shows that my IR connection is faster than 9.6k). The fastest of all these seems to be on the Mac for me, where I had a true rating of 91k once through DSL Reports (with 3 out of 4 bars of signal strength).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast