Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone tell me what is the difference between Palm OS and Symbian OS.

Can Palm software be used on Symbian OS.

Reason I ask is the Sony P800 is running on Symbian OS and I wanted to know if that would effect the quality of the P800. Would it be better than other smartphones becuase of that or will it be worse than others because of that?
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/29/2002 at 12:27 PM.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Well the Palm OS and Symbian OS are incompatible -- Just like the Mac OS and Windows. You cannot run Palm OS programs on the Symbian OS and vice versa.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  3.    #3  
    Thank you Yardie,

Thats what I thought but I wasn't for sure.
    Thanks again.

One more question: Which OS is better. I have the Treo 270 and don't plan on changing but someone I know would like to buy a smartphone and is asking what is the difference between Palm,PC, and Symbian.

The only thing I know is Palm was out first, I believe. If Symbian is better does that mean he should get the sony P800 or should he buy a Pocket PC. Or just wait for the new Treo. Because he's trying to decide on brand by the best OS.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/25/2002 at 04:01 AM.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Originally posted by ronaldwright
    Sony P800 is running on Symbian OS and I wanted to know if that would effect the quality of the P800. Would it be better than other smartphones becuase of that or will it be worse than others because of that?
    From experience (I used Symbian OS with Nokia Communicator 9210), it is a reliable OS.
    I used that phone for almost a year and never had a single crash... with endless apps installed / uninstalled (heard that, Palm OS?).

The only drawback is that the apps library is not as extended as Palm'.
    But it is growing by the hour (litterally!).
    Where can one find Symbian apps? I was under the impression that apps are few and far between like the PocketPC.

Originally posted by dennis3232

From experience (I used Symbian OS with Nokia Communicator 9210), it is a reliable OS.
    I used that phone for almost a year and never had a single crash... with endless apps installed / uninstalled (heard that, Palm OS?).

The only drawback is that the apps library is not as extended as Palm'.
    But it is growing by the hour (litterally!).
    Originally posted by yardie
    Where can one find Symbian apps? I was under the impression that apps are few and far between like the PocketPC.

Agree.
    Symbian being a relatively new OS, it has less apps available than Pocket PC, and what to say of Palm!

Nevertheless, these are two links (not including the manufacturers' - Nokia, Motorola, Sony-Ericsson - Web sites who offer a selection of apps) that might give you a good start:

http://www.symbianpages.com/catPage.asp?nProd_Cat_ID=7

Handango:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformSoft...3&platformId=4

and more...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Dennis3232 & Yardie,

You both answer my question. As for me I'll stick with the Treo. Thanks again.

Question: If the Treo 270 or 300 or 180 had a device to add an expansion card(cf) would you still get another smartphone or be content with this one. Just wondering. Thanks again for the website.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Question: If the Treo 270 or 300 or 180 had a device to add an expansion card(cf) would you still get another smartphone or be content with this one.
    As I said before in another thread, I feel that Treo is a great device that wasn't properly thought of and poorly manufactured.
    All the ingredients are there to make it the ideal device, and yet you feel unsatisfied...

To answer your question:
    No doubt yes.
    What really holds me back from shifting as we speak is the keyboard.
    I played again yesterday with a very good Pocket PC Smartphone device (XDA Pocket PC), and felt the lack of a 'real' keyboard.
    I'm still not satisfied with the existing virtual keyboards, when it comes to writing an Email or taking notes during a meeting...

But as soon as a mobile phone / PDA (diregarding the embarked OS) comes with a keyboard, I'll certainly switch.
    By the way, too bad the new Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 is not a smartphone: this is exactly the type of device I'm talking about (Linux OS) - as far as the concept is concerned.
  9.    #9  
    The reason why I ask is I know a person who thinks it is possible and I'd hate for him to go through so much trouble making this device and no one wants it.

I understand you. For me it just lacks memory. I keep it because I need something to use all over the world and at the time this was the only smartphone that was world-wide. I'm a world-class traveller. Whether I'm in Japan, Korea, or South America I want something I can use at least 70% of the world.

I'm still keeping it because the competition hasn't impressed me with being world-wide and the keyboard is a big plus. I agree with you on that. I was used to graffiti on my other palms so its shocking to me to say that.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/27/2002 at 10:09 PM.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I'm a world-class traveller. Whether I'm in Japan, Korea, or South America I want something I can use at least 70% of the world.
    I'm a professional traveler too, spending an average of two weeks a month in-between planes!
    This is the reason why I’m very peaky when it gets to smartphones.

I never found that carrying a laptop around was the best way to do business.
    This is the reason why, after countless handheld computers (from ancient Compaq iPaq, various Psion to vintage HP Jornada), I bought the Ericsson 380 that I enjoyed a lot (for the time!).
    Later I moved on, following the industry trend, from Nokia Communicator 9210 to Treo 270, via Motorola Accompli 008 or Siemens SX45, just to name a few.

What I want my device to do is:
    - To Be a quality phone, providing sound quality and coverage even in fringe areas, with all the bells and whistles of a 21st century phone (e.g. voice dailing, FM radio)
    - Able to let me take notes, write Email and SMS, MMS?, easily (keyboard issue)
    - Connect a projector to run a (light) PowerPoint presentation
    - Quality screen (color, size, quality, etc.)
    - Touchscreen
    - Light, shape and small enough (Treo is the best in its category here)
    - Screen cover (good point for Treo again)
    - Reliable OS (I haven’t tried Pocket Linux yet, but Pocket PC, Symbian and Palm OS are OK to me. I feel that Symbian might be the winner of the race…)
    - Enough build-in memory (16Mb is not enough, while the competition rarely goes below 64Mb those days)
    - Expendable (extension slots of all types are a must): It allows the device not to be outdated less than a year after hitting the street for the first time
    - Tri-band, Java, built-in Bluetooth and GPRS (4+1, class A) should be mandatory (with USB connection), with MMS and MP3 if you also want to attract the younger market
    - User friendly
    - Long-life rechargeable battery (with a possible back-up with ‘regular’ batteries would be a must)
    - Reliable (Treo still has a lot to do in the reliability field)

And I’m sure I forget other mandatory specifications that I always look for when a new device comes out (such as software bumble, trouble-free USB hotsync’ with PC/Mac PIM or street price – I’m not a millionaire!) and that I will remember only after I press the “Submit reply” key!

In one word, I’m looking for a good, reliable smartphone / communicator (how many time did Treo let me down 8 hours flight from the office or home because the battery was faulty? – that was Treo #1. I never had to replace any other device so many times before)…
  11.    #11  
    Well since we're talking about what we would like for the perfect smartphone my list is the same as yours except I would like to expand on how Im going to connect a small projector.

I agree with what you are asking for.

For me I need to be able to go places and set up a complete desktop. I need someone to build a device to carry with my perfect smartphone ( all the things you suggested) that I could unfold into a full desktop complete with mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer, projector, and a cradle to sit my smartphone. The cradle itself would be the connector piece for all these devices. The cradle would also have a slot for a cf card.

All this to be carried in something the size of a briefcase.

To be able to use my smartphone as a computer by itself but then connect it to periphals when needed.

I figure if a computer is going to go mobile it will be with the one device everyone carriers. A cell phone.

Would be nice to carrier a briefcase and a phone for a complete mobile computer.

Just an idea I had.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/29/2002 at 12:28 PM.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    You're more demanding than I am!
    I was only thinking of a way to connect an LCD projector to the smartphane and run your PowerPoint presentation directly from the 'phone', as you would do from a laptop.
    Neat!

But if you think about it, a Bluetooth equipped LCD projector and a Bluetooth smartphone would not even need a connector.
    And this is not Sci-Fi!

Does anyone know if there is a device out there that responds to all/most of our criterias?
    - Expendable (extension slots of all types are a must): It allows the device not to be outdated less than a year after hitting the street for the first time
    you have a very, very strange definition of "Expendable."
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick

you have a very, very strange definition of "Expendable."
    OK - But you did know what I meant, didn't you?
  15.    #15  
    Neat!
    Neat for your idea or neat for my idea.
    www.pdaphonehome.com

Neat for your idea or neat for my idea.
    My idea was basic, yours is much more advanced.
    'Neat' to you, then!

The 'neatter' being the Bluetooth solution, I must say.

To carry-on on our previous discussion, after reading many more reviews, I think that the HP Jornada 928 Pocket PC will win my votes, despite its lack of keyboard.
    By reading its specifications and other documention (on www.hp.com), it seems that it responds better to my minimum requirements than the P800, which is more on the phone side (like the 'old' Ericsson 380), than on the PDA side.

What do you think?

I think that the HP Jornada 928 Pocket PC will win my votes, despite its lack of keyboard.
    After further investigation, I came across this review (to be found in http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h343.htm):

One of the more recent Jornada models' trademarks has been the 'Star Trek' communicator-style protective flip up cover. This has been retained and can even be replaced by an optional cover that sports an illuminated mini-keyboard if you are into serious texting.
    Very interesting.
    Of course, it had to have a drawback:
    You can't see through the screen.

Why can't they all have it right from the first time?
    They can't look at what the competition is doing and copy the best ideas - while enhancing them?
  18.    #18  
    Check out this website for info on all the smartphones out. Also here's more info and reviews on the HP Jornada 928.

Smartphone talk

Come to find out they don't support GSM 900 right now. So you couldn't use the phone in the states.

Here's one I really like.
    Kyocera 7135

Considering I want phone first then pda. The only part of the pda I plan on using is the ability to add software. Only thing needed for that is memory. Give me never ending memory. great software, and a super out-standing phone( a phone that should be able to pick a signal every. Almost like a satelite phone) plus a decent processor speed I'll be set.

Only bad thing about getting great software you need poeple to make the software. The more people you have the more you have to choose from. I believe palm and pokect pc is running neck to neck with # of software makers. Don't qoute me on this.

I found out the more support you have on a product the better that product will be.

So which smartphone is getting the most support. I really believe it is Handspring's Treo. I think thats why I'm still with them and haven't jumped ship because I don't know what type of support is with the other smartphones. Support meaning developers, cell phone carriers, the poeple that use the product,ect.

The smartphone that comes close for me is the Kyocera 7135. But wish it had a keypad instead and supported triband (GSM) also. CDMA doesn't help me any.

Oh well.

Question for you. Do you think the Treo has alot of support or the other smartphones have more support.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/30/2002 at 04:06 PM.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Thank you for the great links!

I read the reviews on the HP Jornada 928.
    I think I really want that phone, unless...
    What puts me down a little is that it is on the bulky-side:
    I live in a tropical country, so I almost never wear jacket and never, never a coat!
    So you imagine that the size of the device is important to me.
    I really need to see one with my own eye to decide.
    As I said before, I played with an XDA and found it a bit too big.
    And the Jornada is even bigger!

Come to find out they don't support GSM 900 right now. So you couldn't use the phone in the states.
    I read somewhere that HP will have two set of devices, one for the United States and one for the rest of the world, as Nokia does with its Communicator, for instance.

Here's one I really like: Kyocera 7135
    According to what I read in the link you provided, I think I would stay with my Treo rather than going for the Kyocera 7135.
    It does not support GSM nor GPRS, or Bluetooth for that matter!
    OK. it looks sexy. But that's not enough for me...

The smartphone that comes close for me is the Kyocera 7135. But wish it had a keypad instead and supported triband (GSM) also. CDMA doesn't help me any.
    I fully agree with you: how come they don't provide a GSM/GPRS device, a much bigger market for Kyocera!

Considering I want phone first then pda.
    This is my problem.
    What I want is a phone AND a PDA.
    They are both as important.
    That's the reason why devices such as Kyocera 7135 do not appeal to me.

And that I wonder about Sony Ericsson P800.
    I want to play with it before I consider buying it now.
    I suspect it to be more phone than PDA...

I found out the more support you have on a product the better that product will be.
    I fully agree with you on that!
    That's the reason why I will never go (for the time being at least) with a Pocket Linux device.
    But I have no problem with having a Palm, Pocket PC or even Symbian OSed smartphone.
    I must say that I look more and more at Symbian as it seems to attract a lot of attention lately from the developer community, phone networks, manufacturers, just name it!

On the other hand, the 'lazy' and secure way would be to go with Pocket PC, as it is fully integrated with your desktop software and OS.
    Last edited by dennis3232; 12/01/2002 at 01:14 AM.
    Dennis which tropical country do you live in? I always thought that you lived in the U.S.A.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that there will always be something better around the corner. The BEST thinkgto do is to write down EXACTLY what you are looking for in a phone and buy the one that best match these. For me, the Treo 270 is great. I am using the device a lot more than I did with my Ericcson phone and Visor Prism combined. It has become a second brain, and it goes everywhere I go. I have shifted from 3 devices (Phone, PDA and music player) to two. I am hoping that the next Treo will have MP3 playing capabilities. Then, I can avoid carrying around a separate music player.

BTW Ronald, the GSM network in North America and some Central American countries is 1900 Mhz. Everywhere else it is 900 or 1800 MHz.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast