1.    #1  
    I love my Treo 300 but I'd also love to dump Sprint... So when/what is the next killer phone coming out?
    The next "killer" phone will probably be the Kyocera 7135 (Palm OS smartphone), due to be released by Verizon sometime between now and the end of January. Verizon will also offer the Samsung I600 (MS Smartphone OS, not PPC, device) sometime Q1 next year.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Verizon doesn't have a high-speed data network though, do they?
    Verizon has a CDMA 2000 1X network called "Express Network". It uses the same technology as Sprint PCS's "Vision" network. But many say it isn't as fast as Sprint's. I don't know as I am a Sprint user. I have tested Sprint's network and I get between 50K and 115K BPS all the time with an average of about 100k where I live.
    What do you guys think the likelihood is of Handspring coming out with a new Treo, communicator, smartphone, or whatever within the next two years?
    Originally posted by briguy33
    What do you guys think the likelihood is of Handspring coming out with a new Treo, communicator, smartphone, or whatever within the next two years?
    You can count on it. Handspring's CEO (I think) was touting the next generation of Treo's at Comdex.

Samsung has some very good handsets on the way in the next few months. The I-500 will be a dual band clamshell with Palm os and a 66mhz processor. They also have a model coming out called the I-600 that will use MS's new phone os.

When my Kyocera 6035 crapped out a month ago, I tried to wait for some of the stuff on the horizon but couldn't hold out.

The Treo is fine for now.
    Originally posted by briguy33
    Very good, mid next year.
    It is actually true that Sprints 1xRTT network (cdma2000) is more widespread than anyone elses network, namely Verizon. Verizon only updated the most densely populated secors of their network to 1xRTT capability. Sprint genuinely are the best wireless data network in terms of nationwide coverage.

Ideally the new phones would have a signal meter for voice network and one for the data network. They are quite distinct.
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    Verizon has a CDMA 2000 1X network called "Express Network". It uses the same technology as Sprint PCS's "Vision" network. But many say it isn't as fast as Sprint's. I don't know as I am a Sprint user. I have tested Sprint's network and I get between 50K and 115K BPS all the time with an average of about 100k where I live.
    Are you getting these speeds on a Treo 300? For some reason I'm only getting around 1kps when using Blazer and retreiving mail with Snappermail. Sometimes blazer will get up to 4kps when downloading large pages/graphics.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by slffl
    Are you getting these speeds on a Treo 300? For some reason I'm only getting around 1kps when using Blazer and retreiving mail with Snappermail. Sometimes blazer will get up to 4kps when downloading large pages/graphics.
    How are you measuring these speeds?
    You guys are confusing your terms.

In Blazer you're probably getting 1kBps. As in 1 kiloBYTE. A byte is eight bits.

Thus, 1kBps is 8kbps.

So when someone says they're getting 50kbps, that's equivalent to 50 / 8 = 6.25 kBps per second.

In my tests with USB to Linux via my Treo 300, on pre-compressed data (i.e. no benefit from compression), I got 3.8kBps downstream, which is 30.4kbps.

The scale Sprint advertises is 50kbps - 60kbps, 147kbps theorectical max.

On my Hitachi P300 vision phone, I found I got higher data rates.. more around the advertised 50kbps - 60kbps. I figure this is due to the P300 doing the function in hardware, whereas the Treo has to handle it in the cpu and thus is a bottleneck.
    Originally posted by skidoo

How are you measuring these speeds?
    By counting and watching how much of a page is loading. IE, if it takes an average of 1 second for the 'downloaded so far' mark to go from 37K to 38K, I'm guessing I'm averaging 1K a second.
    Blazer is by far the slowest rendering browser I've used. Comparing it to AvantGo and EudoraWeb, there is just no contest. Blazer seems to take about twice as long to format and displa a page as it does for it to download it.

The bookmarks are nice though.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by howensby

Any idea what kinds of features they are planning to incorporate? Bluetooth? Expansion? Camera? MP3? Hi-res? Tri-band? Removable battery?

Hopefully all of the above! Don't know how they will keep such a slim form factor though. Is that possible do you think?
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by howensby

I'd kill for it to have Bluetooth and OS 5 with the accompanying pickup in speed for Blazer...