1.    #1  
    Is this or is this not true?

Treo Central under the Specifications section states "GPRS upgradeable upon availability" It also mentions in another location that the US Release of said is due very shortly. Is this or is this not the case? I noticed that in another forum by a couple sources that they say the Radio is totally different in the 300 vs the 180/270. That I had heard before. However are we Positive that the Radio in the 300 will not support the network the 270 and 180 do? Just because they are different and require different software to support them does not mean that the radio in the 300 does not support the network that the 270's and 180's do.

I am aware that radios just are not able to support more than they were designed for. Could someone TECHNICAL answer this on e once and for all to put it to bed?

Thank you.
    The GPRS upgrade is for GSM phones. The TGreo 300 is a CDMA phone with owns "high speed" internet access. Spring called this "Vision".
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by carydc

Treo Central under the Specifications section states "GPRS upgradeable upon availability" It also mentions in another location that the US Release of said is due very shortly. Is this or is this not the case? I noticed that in another forum by a couple sources that they say the Radio is totally different in the 300 vs the 180/270. That I had heard before. However are we Positive that the Radio in the 300 will not support the network the 270 and 180 do? Just because they are different and require different software to support them does not mean that the radio in the 300 does not support the network that the 270's and 180's do.

I am aware that radios just are not able to support more than they were designed for. Could someone TECHNICAL answer this on e once and for all to put it to bed?

Just to be ULTRA CLEAR, the Treo300 is built with a CDMA radio in it. CDMA is a wireless interface (eg, between the end user device (the Treo) and the cell site) that is entirely different from GSM (the European, and mostly worldwide, standard). The Treos 180 and 270 are built for GSM. GPRS is the 2.5G (GSM itself is 2.0G) version of GSM, providing higher-speed, packet service, rather then circuit-switched service. The 270 will work with GPRS with a software upgrade. The 300, because it has a totally different radio in it, will NOT work with GPRS.

Now, all that being said, CDMA has its own 2.5G service. It's called 1xRTT. Sprint has branded that service "Vision". Sprint has launched that service nationwide (or virtually nationwide). The Treo300 was designed to work on this service. This service provides data throughput of up to 144kbps, with average of 50 - 70kbps (or at least that's what they advertise).

BTW, the next generation of service from the GSM folks is called variously UMTS or W-CDMA. It is the so-called "3G" service being launched in various European and Asian countries (not many yet). The next generation of CDMA service (its 3G) is called 1xEVDO. It has been launched in a couple of markets by some very small carriers in the US, and in Korea. Confused now?
    Originally posted by carydc

Thank you.
    Bottom line, not only is GPRS not compatible with the Treo 300, you don't need it! The Treo 300 provides faster data speeds and greater US coverage as is than the Treo 180/270 ever could with or without the GPRS upgrade.
    Sorry folks, It was an error in our database. The Treo 300 features entry has been fixed. As others have stated very well, the Treo 300 is a CDMA phone, and uses the CDMA protocals for fast data. GPRS is ONLY for GSM.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff