1.    #1  
    I first thought it was an accident:

My Treo 270 signal meter would show maximum level while it would not receive any call.
    You need to turn the wireless mode off then on to connect to the network again.
    But only for a limited time, but you have no way to know how long it will last.

Then you feel the battery, day after day, go warmer and warmer.
    Up to an alarming level.

Then the SIM card fries.

Then you replace it.
    All is back to normal for a couple of days after you installed the new SIM card, then you notice the alarming symptoms again.

Then you start to worry.
    What's wrong now?
    Should I replace my 5th Treo by a 6th one??

Does this story sound familiar?
    My opionion is: this sounds for a treo replacement.

As you can see in the forum many users replace the treo because Handspring have a bad quality assurance. I have my 6th treo at the time. Many of this treo´s comes and they are buggy. But when you have one that will work you have your final treo ;-)
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by acidham
    My opionion is: this sounds for a treo replacement.

I have my 6th treo at the time.
    I know.
    Pretty ennoying, isn't it?
    ...Tired to replace my device again and again.

As I wrote somewhere else in this forum:
    Treo is a great device, but it is not finished yet.

I am pretty sure that it would have cost less to Handspring to get it right from the first time, than having to replace their Treos again and again.
    I would be interested in seeing Handspring P&L on that...

How do they finance this never-ending exchange process?
    Yes you are right this is one thing that I have tought about once... how to they finance this replament process.

But Treo is the first and one device that fullfills your needs... What do you want to buy as a Treo replacement (dont tell me anything about the windows ce stuff)?

For example a friend bought a Pocket PC from O2.
    Following Problems:
    1. scratched surface because no lid over the screen
    2. os get freezed several time he want to do a call
    3. too heavy and to big for handle

---> he has the 5th replacement of this device

He told me he would buy a treo ... he replace it several time and than its working... its small and handy and have lid over the screen...
  5.    #5  
    But Treo is the first and one device that fullfills your needs... What do you want to buy as a Treo replacement (dont tell me anything about the windows ce stuff)?
    I was thinking of Sony Ericsson P800 (from the Ericsson 380R family), with Symbian OS.
    Its launch has been postponed twice already since September.
    It is now due for December 2002.

Professional reviews call it the best device in years to come.

I am also tempted by the new HP Jornada 928 WDA Pocket PC (sorry! ), but I'm afraid it has no cover, and you are right, it becomes quickly an issue...
    It hasn't appeared yet in my part of the world, and I also want to have a look there.

The drawback of these two devices is that they don't have a 'real' keyboard.
    Ok if you wait till 2004 you get a better phone... if you then wait you get a much better phone... and so on.

I have now a treo 270 and it works.....

If you buy a a sony you dont know if you have problems... but till this time you will find a sonycentral.com disussionboard :-)

The Hp Jornanda its quite big :-0
  7.    #7  
    Ok if you wait till 2004 you get a better phone... if you then wait you get a much better phone... and so on.
    That's an issue I don't have because, as I said in another thread, I organised a neat scheme:

I buy a new device, show it around to friends and colleagues.
    There is always one who tells me:
    "When you're tired of it, I'll buy it from you!"

When I find a new device that I want to try, I sell my previous one to whoever was interested (with a proper discount of 40 to 50% from street price) and buy myself the new one!

That's the reason why I pretty experienced as far as communicator / smartphone (however you want to call them) are concerned:
    I think I tried all of them since day 1!

And I must say, Treo is the first I have with so many problems.
    On the other hand, and to be totally honest, I like it.

But I must say that having to exchange device every other month is highly annoying.

So, which should be the next one?
    I buy a new device, show it around to friends and colleagues.
    There is always one who tells me:
    "When you're tired of it, I'll buy it from you!"

When I find a new device that I want to try, I sell my previous one to whoever was interested (with a proper discount of 40 to 50% from street price) and buy myself the new one!
    I must admit, I do exactly the same. Usually with the same guy each time!

I do like the look of the Sony, I have to admit. The only thing that puts me off is the absence of a keyboard but the improved screen and Symbian as an OS might win the day for me when it comes out.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Loccy

The only thing that puts me off is the absence of a keyboard but the improved screen and Symbian as an OS might win the day for me when it comes out.
    Same here!
    The main reason why I like the Treo is because its keyboard (let's be frank, Treo is not the greatest of devices! It has only 16Mb RAM, not extension slot, no bluetooth, average quality screen... and let's don't forget the GPRS mishap!).

I had several devices with virtual keyboards before, and writing an Email, for instance, was very painful.
    While with Treo it's as easy as typing on a 'normal' keyboard.

I understand that P800 and HP Jornada 928 WDA have enhance virtual-keyboards.
    I'll try them out before buying.

The keyboard will be one the key-points my decision will be based on to select my next device...