Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a mail program that constantly polls mail servers checking for mail, to approximate a pushing of mail to the Treo? I have been using Eudora for about 10 minutes now, but I don't see how I can automate the process. I've been looking at Snappermail as a replacement, but I don't see the feature there. Most importantly, I'm looking for something freewear, so I can use with my Sprint PCS email account. I'm sure I could go with Business Connect or something like that, but I really don't need any features, except prompt notification of e-mail. I have Eprompter on my desktop to check yahoo and hotmail, every minute. I figure it would be easier to find a program to check a pop mail account at set intervals and alert me through a beep (or ideally the vibrate too). Maybe I'm getting too picky.
    On the sprint website you can go to the email portion then notification, and tell it to send you an SMS message every time e new piece of mail arrives in your sprint inbox.

Not as good as automatically pulling new emails every X minutes, but it is better than nothing.

I have put in a request to SnapperMail for this feature to be added, but have not heard back.

I would also like Snpaaermail to delete messages from the server on the initial pop if I have selected to download all messages all content. It seems silly to have to POP twice just to get a message deleted from the server.

Steve
    Something to remember is that an app that checks for new mail with any frequency will cause you to lose a relatively high proportion of voice calls (i.e. they will be sent directly to voice mail).
    I was completely unaware of that.

So you're saying, if I am actively using the internet, calls go to VM?
    ie. POPing mail, surfing, etc...
    It's okay to leave the data connection open, but while something's actually using the data connection your incoming calls will go straight to voice mail.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  6.    #6  
    I didn't realize that either, I guess I was basically looking to have Blackberry functionality. The SMS Notification though is pretty close, though it would be good if it would give the sender and the subject along with it.
    Looks like you are trying to do the same thing I am... Replace my RIM interactive pager with a Treo 300. The SMS notification does work, and I agree that the subject and sender would be nice.

I would also like for it to send out reminder notifications every N minutes if mail is still on the server. I wrote a program to do just that, but it was painful, and is not perfect...

At least this Treo allows my pants to stay up... no more pager, phone and PDA hanging on...
    I know of a good email provider to use that will send you sms notifications everytime you receive an email. I also use them. I love them. No problems with it at all.

Also they have an option to send the sender name and subject of email. Just check it out if you don't believe me. They even give you 20 sms notifications free a month.

Heres the website. Ipipi.com

Use only if you don't have an email provider or don't mind switching or don't mind having your emails forwarded to this one.

Try it. It's free until you decide to have more than 20 sms email notification sent than you have to pay for a certain amount. I believe the prices are 100 email notifications for $9.00(USD) and $49.00(USD) for 500 email notifications. Other than that the actually email account is free.

Oh and this way you don't have to pay extra to check your emails every ten minutes or so by dialing from your phone.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/23/2002 at 08:31 PM.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I'm using Basejet on my Treo 300 with SprintPCS Vision unlimited data plan. I have on-device polling turned on to poll 30 minutes. If I receive new email, it vibrates and pops up a dialog stating how many new emails have arrived. What's cool about this is that I can set it at a lower interval and not have to worry about connection costs. You are able to set the days, hours, and minute intervals. I would like to be able to have it sound the alarm when new mail comes in with the option to vibrate. I have put a request into their support email. What I like about the on-device polling is that it will only inform you of emails that you have not read. If you've read emails on your mail system and it gets transferred onto your device, it will not alert you of these emails, because you have already read them.
    While the service has been a little unstable (but better lately), Business Connection from Sprint will give you near-real time email. It usually is less than 30 seconds behind my desktop receipt. It has replaced my Blackberry.
    I use Endora on my Treo 270. With Endora it also only pulls the emails you have not checked yet. But it doesn't have an option to check mail at certain periods I don't think.

It has an option called general send/check mail. But I don't know what this does.

Also you can't view attachments. I would like to get the new Doc to go. Do you know anything about it.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Here's the apps that I know of that poll email:

Aileron $50/year
    Treo Mail $50/year
    M/S Mail $20

We'll be doing polling in SnapperMail in version 1.4 due out within the next 2 weeks. It will poll mail as long as the device is turned off and not in use. I hear M/S Mail will switch on and get your mail while you're in the middle of a phonecall - and yes you drop you call mid flight .

Alternatively I think there's a Macro app out there (MacroPlay?) that some of our users have been using to get their version of SnapperMail automatically checking mail with a macro. It think it's about $20 - it should work with Eudora, though I haven't tried it.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Treo mail pulls mail but doesn't give sender name, subject or message without paying to connect to the read message. I was thinking if you was to keep doing that for every email you get it would get pretty expensive. With sms notifications its free and you get the sender name, subject and message of email up to 160 characters.

Do you know of apps that send an sms everytime you get an email. That way you have the option to check the mail because you can see who is sending it. Instead of checking your email because your Treo vibrates or rings and says "you've got mail. Would you like to check it?" You can check it because you've read part of the email and know it is impartive to answer immediately.

The only app I know that does this is my email provider at www.ipipi.com
    Know of any others? Anyone?
    This is the link I saw at handspring about Treo Mail that lets me know it only sends a notification without sender name, subject or message which doesn't help me any.
    Treo Mail picture
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I read this:
    "Treo mail pulls mail but doesn't give sender name, subject or message without paying to connect to the read message" =

I don't know what you're talking about - I use TreoMail, and when I get e-mails sent to me, I get all that stuff (maybe you're referring to the SMS-like notifications, which I've never used - why would you, when pulling e-mail is just as good [mine is set for every 15 minutes], and also free with the unlimited data plan. SMSs actually cost money. The unlimited data esentially makes e-mail access free (well, for $10).

Fundamentally, I have found that SMS notification for new mail to be burdensome. Just give me the mail. And, with the filters that TreoMail offers (and which BusinessConnection does not), I only get the mail sent to me that I really need. That way, my hassle level is even less than it would be otherwise,
    I am using Dataviz Inbox to go. It works great with no bugs so far (using for 1 month). It forwards my mail at work (which is behind a firewall) to their server every 15 minutes. I dont think you can change this interval. You simply hit a button "check and send"" for new messages and it pulls from their server. It is nice because you control whenyou want to check for new messages. I personally do not want to be bothered by alerts/alarms every 2 seconds as I am getting tons of e-mail at work. I am happy with this program so far.
    www.dataviz.com
    Chris
    When I made that comment I only know of Treo mail from what the website gives. It has a picture of new mail being received on a Treo. All it says is "you have new mail. Would you like to check it?"

If that's the case what I am talking about is wouldn't it be better if you knew more about the email before dailing or using gprs.

Might save on some money. Especially if your in a country that doesn't offer unlimited data.

I don't know much about Treo Mail. More info would be appreciated. I too am looking for a great email app that gives you an email notification with more info than you've got mail. Something that could say "Bob just emailed you and its about that new car you wanted." Something like that. And the closes I've found to that is sms email notification. And the only company I've found that does that is an email provider at ipipi.com. Especially if you don't live in the States and wouldn't be economical for you to use a stateside carrier that offers unlimited data usage.

Now if Treo Mail does that, thats great. I've seen it on the web at handspring.com and it didn't look as if it did. If so I will buy that one.

Currently I'm looking into Dataviz Doc to go/inbox to go. Any one know about that.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Thanks Cristo. I'll probably go with Dataviz and keep my email provider ipipi.com

I do agree it does get annoying after a while receiving alot of sms messages everytime I get an email but I need to filter my sms messages to a particular person or persons. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Thanks again.

As a matter of fact everytime someone responds to a post of mine in Treo Central I get an sms and right now its getting pretty annoying.

So I think I'll teek the filters on this immediately.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    We'll be doing polling in SnapperMail in version 1.4 due out within the next 2 weeks.
    Will, I'm a current customer of SnapperMail and I love it so far. Will I be 1) notified of the new version availability by email, and 2) be allowed to upgrade for free since I've paid for the current version?

Thanks,
    iTreo
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    Here's the apps that I know of that poll email:

Aileron $50/year
    Treo Mail $50/year
    M/S Mail $20

We'll be doing polling in SnapperMail in version 1.4 due out within the next 2 weeks. It will poll mail as long as the device is turned off and not in use. I hear M/S Mail will switch on and get your mail while you're in the middle of a phonecall - and yes you drop you call mid flight .

Alternatively I think there's a Macro app out there (MacroPlay?) that some of our users have been using to get their version of SnapperMail automatically checking mail with a macro. It think it's about $20 - it should work with Eudora, though I haven't tried it.

-W
    in version 1.4 if polling finds new email and is retrived to snappermail, will the snappermail app notifiy the user (alarm or vibrate) ?
    I have read a lot about the different email programs and most posts ignore Business Connect. Why? I have been using it and am happy with the push feature. What are the benefits of switching?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast