Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    Here's the apps that I know of that poll email:

Aileron $50/year
    Treo Mail $50/year
    M/S Mail $20

We'll be doing polling in SnapperMail in version 1.4 due out within the next 2 weeks. It will poll mail as long as the device is turned off and not in use. I hear M/S Mail will switch on and get your mail while you're in the middle of a phonecall - and yes you drop you call mid flight .

Alternatively I think there's a Macro app out there (MacroPlay?) that some of our users have been using to get their version of SnapperMail automatically checking mail with a macro. It think it's about $20 - it should work with Eudora, though I haven't tried it.

-W
    Last version of Markspace Mail does NOT do an autocheck when you're in the middle of a phonecall.
    my email prvider is yahoo, fro a multude of reasons, one of course is email notification. after setting up my mobile profile in yahoo mail it is now set up to send sms to my treo 300 every time i get a email from pre determined buisness list and as an added bonus i have sms alerts for the Lakers and 2 stocks i track daily....and as of today Yahoo is still a free service
    Originally posted by ronaldwright
    I don't know much about Treo Mail. More info would be appreciated. I too am looking for a great email app that gives you an email notification with more info than you've got mail. Something that could say "Bob just emailed you and its about that new car you wanted." Something like that. And the closes I've found to that is sms email notification. And the only company I've found that does that is an email provider at ipipi.com. Especially if you don't live in the States and wouldn't be economical for you to use a stateside carrier that offers unlimited data usage.

Now if Treo Mail does that, thats great. I've seen it on the web at handspring.com and it didn't look as if it did. If so I will buy that one.
    Treo mail essentially does exactly what you are describing, except that it's not instantaneous. Instead, Treo Mail periodically downloads all your email right to your Treo - when you get a notification that you've got mail, you can hit your messaging button and you'll see a list of all the new emails you've recieved. On one screen, you can see both the subject of the mail and the person it's from.

The only difference is that it's not instantaneous. You can set Treo Mail to download your mail every 15 minutes, so that's the maximum time delay. That's been more than enough for me - if I need instant messaging, I just use SMS.

You can get a free 30-day trial of Treo Mail, so you can try it yourself if you want and see how you like it.
    Originally posted by snapperfish

We'll be doing polling in SnapperMail in version 1.4 due out within the next 2 weeks. It will poll mail as long as the device is turned off and not in use. I hear M/S Mail will switch on and get your mail while you're in the middle of a phonecall - and yes you drop you call mid flight .
    Will:

How far off is true IMAP4 in SnapperMail? (i.e., ability to browse folders other than system folders?) As soon as that's there, I'm buying!

To me, one of the best uses of a handheld email device is the ability to organize mail while on a train/plane, etc., and IMAP4 on a Treo 300 would rule for that purpose. Whenever I'm at my desk, I'm too damn busy to organize email.

P
  5.    #25  
    sleibow, how do you set it up with your Yahoo account to SMS you? I use Yahoo as well, but I haven't seen this option.
    I believe that you have to set ti fromt he Yahoo Mobile Alerts Page -- mobile.yahoo.com.

Originally posted by bmacfarland
    sleibow, how do you set it up with your Yahoo account to SMS you? I use Yahoo as well, but I haven't seen this option.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    first go to yahoo mobile and set up your mobile phone/number and preferences

http://mobile.yahoo.com/

after that is done you can set up your alerts on that same page

fo email alerts go to

http://us.f100.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Options?YY=54886

FILTERS

follow the instructions there and you're home free
    Basejet http://www.basejet.com works pretty well for me. The Treo polls for mail as frequently as I set it for polling - typically every 30 minutes, but as frequently as every 10 minutes.
    The Treo notifies my with three short vibrations that I have new mail and would I like to read it now.

Basejet is in Beta right now and is free of charge (while in Beta). I am using it with my Treo-300 and Outlook-2000 running on my desktop at the office on a Windows-2000 machine (7x24). There are many other platforms and mail programs that it supports.
    All in all, I am fairly impressed with Basejet. I can reply to mail and either send it during the next polling event or send-now. It also supports my Contact list (very important feature).
    There are some bugs in the product, but this release is the most stabile so far. I have not had any issues where I had to entirely re-load the Treo.
    Remember - Basejet is "BETA" - meaning that it is not a bug-free product. It can crash at any time (but has not on me). You are encouraged to report bugs to Basejet's technical support via their forum on the website. This is how the product is improved beyond the local Unit Testing done at Basejet.
    Regards - Randy "Thumper-7"

Sprint's Customer Service will eventually put them out of business!
  9.    #29  
    I'd like to thank everyone for their help so far. I had some initial trouble with snappermail, but now I've got it working. I don't know if there's enough value-added for me to consider buying it vs, what I have with Eudora. The best options so far seem to be setting up the automated sending of an SMS from my sprintpcs.com account when I get an e-mail (This works close to a blackberry except that I have to poll often enough and may miss phone calls in the meantime.) The second method seems to be to set up my yahoo account (which I use as a primary account in most cases) with preferences to SMS me when new messages appear as "sleibow" says. I can't seem to find much of a downside to this. I don't see my phone always polling because Yahoo's servers do that for me. The SMS is smart enough to tell me the sender, subject, and partial message in the sms. The only weakness is that I haven't paid for the account so it's not pop enabled, and hence I don't think I can check it through a standard e-mail program, I'd have to load up Blazer. Then again Yahoo has a great mobile web page.

I didn't consider Treo Mail or Business Connect so much. I have a little trouble differentiating the two, and both seem to require money. I thought one requires me to use Outlook and leave the computer on or something like that. That wouldn't float with me. The other (I think Treo Mail) seems to poll at most every 15 minutes. Well it's just not approximating a Blackberry at that point. Sure, I could just SMS, but I'm new to that world, and don't know if I can SMS e-mail addresses and vice versa -- no one I know has explicit SMS capabilities yet.

If I'm going to pay money, I'd rather pay it toward my Yahoo account where I get desktop advantages as well and it seems to have true message pushing to my device, rather than constant polling from my device where I may miss phone calls.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12