Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This was just posted on palmgear.com, what does everybody make of it?

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...7&prodID=45610
    Seems the same as the UK version I've seen around here. I didn't download it or try it out, but the size of the file is the same and the feature list is the same.
    The about box lists it as 1.0 UK. PalmGear also says it is Palm OS 5.0 compatible, but I don't believe it. I ran the app in the Palm Emulator and it had some serious problems.
    Originally posted by paulsjmail
    This was just posted on palmgear.com, what does everybody make of it?

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...7&prodID=45610
    Hrm. This is very interesting. I loaded it today, it says Version 1.1 (build 5).

I'm wondering, has it always worked this well? I've only used it for an hour or so on my treo 300, but here are my observations.

- It doesn't interfere with incoming/outgoing phone calls.
    - It let's you stay signed in even if you switch applications or power down.
    - And it hasn't blowed up yet.

Thumbs up here!

I'm at a loss as to how it communicates. When you switch to a different application, it doesn't notify you of incoming IM. But when you later jump back into the app it will grab the IM at that point. Good compromise I think.

And if you leave it in AIM when you power down, it will wake up and bleep when an IM comes in!
    I also found this version to be quite stable. The UI sucks and all my buddies are on Yahoo, but otherwise I'm really excited about this product.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    - It let's you stay signed in even if you switch applications or power down.
    I've been using this version for a while and found that if you leave AIM running and switch to another application that grabs the communication socket (e.g., Blazer) and then return to AIM, you will get a message that the connection was lost. This isn't surprising.

Otherwise, I find it very stable.

Geoffrey
    For about 5 weeks I was using the AIM 1.1 UK version of AIM. I was happy and had no problems.

Now everything has changed.

I am now getting the following error.

DataMgr.c,Line:8589,Index out of range

The Treo will hang.

The only way out is a hard reset with total loss of data.

I then need to Hotsync to restore the Treo.

I thought that AIM 1.1 US from PalmGear at $20.00 was the only version with this fatal error.

I don't know why the error is appearing, but it is reproduceable and fatal.

Does anyone know of a PalmVII PQA version of AIM?

Thanks
    oops
    Last edited by millerhifi; 11/29/2002 at 09:46 PM.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    ..and then return to AIM, you will get a message that the connection was lost.
    So far it's only done that to me when Sprint does it's random network logout thing. Though there are times when AIM doesn't seem to send the IM properly, and it doesn't reach the other person.
    IT seems that if I leave myself logged into AIM (with the UK version) that I get very bad battery drain... anyone else experience this? I like how it saves your messages and I would like to just leave myself logged in all day, but I cant deal with my battery being run down so quickly...
    also, has anyone figured a way to send messages without using the styus? I can send on by using shift + enter, but then I have to tap the stylus to get the input area active again, which means I cant carry on a totally stylus free conversation.
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan

DataMgr.c,Line:8589,Index out of range

The Treo will hang.

The only way out is a hard reset with total loss of data.

I then need to Hotsync to restore the Treo.

no need to do a hard reset. do a warm reset then delete AIM app then a soft reset. the AIM UK 1.0 version did this to my 300. i am now using the version on this thread which is now working perfectly. even long buddy lists show up now too. good luck
    Originally posted by zbose
    also, has anyone figured a way to send messages without using the styus? I can send on by using shift + enter, but then I have to tap the stylus to get the input area active again, which means I cant carry on a totally stylus free conversation.
    i never use the stylus. maybe its because i have small hands (not abnormally small, just small for a guy...) i have always been able to send the messages by using the little finger of my right hand, just touching the 'send' button with my fingernail.

i love the AIM app. i installed this new one, though i was not having any problems with the one i had on there either... i use it to keep in touch with my daughter away at college.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    that is sort of what I do, but I still think its stupid that the typing focus does not go back to the entry box after you send a message. I dislike having to touch my screen with my finger.

Per battery usage, has anyone else noticed that not logging out of aol before turning your treo off (or just while using other apps) eats the battery alive? I get the feeling aim talks to the server nearly constantly...
    I just loaded this version, and the about says "Version 1.1 (build 5)" nothing about UK. Is this right? And all screens have color. The screen shot at PalmGear and a review shows B&W?
    sounds right to me. same here
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I went to www.freewarepalm.com and got AIM for Palm v1.1 for FREE, yes FREE!! It works beautifully! No problems whatsoever using it. I have a Treo 300, using Sprint PCS Vision in the Monterey CA area. I almost bought a variation of the program for $20... This works really well. The only thing I wish it would do is alert you when you are using the phone or another application. You do get the messages, etc, but you have to select the AIM application for them to come in and to get the alerts instantaneously.

Scott
    I have had the dreaded DataMgr.c,Line:8589,Index out of range error.

I was using AIM 1.1, the UK version.

Where can we find AIM 1.0 (UK version?) IF it is more stable, I would like to try it.
  19. jmw
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan
    I have had the dreaded DataMgr.c,Line:8589,Index out of range error.

I was using AIM 1.1, the UK version.

Where can we find AIM 1.0 (UK version?) IF it is more stable, I would like to try it.
    I have a reasonable workaround for this problem. You need a program like "SuperUtility" or any program that can edit palm pdb files on the device. It needs to be able to rename or remove records. If anyone knows of a free one ('Filez' can't do this particular function) let me know.

If you get this dreaded error, do a warm reset (hold down up-arrow and reset). Go to your utility and edit the "Saved Preferences" pdb. Find the record named "AOLA". Rename the record to a different, made up name (I used "eeee") or better yet, delete the record if possible. Now do a soft reset and AIM will be working fine (until your next soft reset). You will need to reenter your username/pw and any buddies that aren't stored on the central AIM server. But you should be able to put all your buddies on the server and not have to re enter them.

Hope this helps.

jmw
    Well, the Super Utility program was a big help. I found that I could (pre-AIM-install) copy the Saved Preferences file (to the same directory, named Saved Preference, no s--for easy finding later)...

So, what I'm assuming--I've got a good Saved Pref's backup.

When AIM trashes it, I can rename the AOLA record inside (xxxx for easy finding), because I don't think Super Utility allows for record deletion inside a database, and if that doesn't take care of it, I can delete the corrupted Saved Pref's file, and replace it with my backup--no having to reprogram my buttons, t-buttons, ringers, and whatnot...

The question is--is there a program out there (along the lines of Super Utility) that can DELETE a record from a database? I can delete one byte at a time, but what a pain! And, it remains to be seen if renaming it to xxxx cures the ill, or if I need to replace with my backup--either way a little easier than dealing with all the saved preferences, and reset after reset of corrupt data...

Also--this gives some hope for ICQ too, right? I'm going to be able to install that without having fear of it fudging my Saved Pref's too... I just hope the record is named ICQ or something...

UPDATE!!! So, I ran both AIM and ICQ until I got the error on a reset... Went into Super Ute, and renamed the AOLA to xxxx and ICQ to yyyy, did a reset, and it worked just fine. Now, I suppose that upon further resets I might have a problem with nomenclature.

FURTHER UPDATE!!! Records can be named the same, so I suppose in a few months my saved preferences file will be about 60 records longer, with a lot of them named xxxx and yyyy... But I guess a bit of housecleaning can be done by deleting it once in a while, and copying my backed up file to it...

But thank goodness, in under a minute you can be up and running again...
    Last edited by hocus703; 12/01/2002 at 05:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast