Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Does anyone know why this version is available for free when AOL themselves are charging $19.95 for it? Can anyone confirm whether its the same version? I've been using the UK version and it's a larger file (167k) than the one on this thread (142k), so its different from the UK version.
    had AIM wking for 1 day before crashed system...went into superutility to rename...how exactly do you do that again? thks...how long before crashes again...cant yahoo IM or AIM IM...getting old fast
    #1) The $20 version (which I am STILL waiting to hear back from as to my refund status) is the ~141K version, named AIM_1.1.prc, and still crashes--didn't seem to lose any functionality except for that whole crashing thing... Thank goodness for the ability to reverse charges on a credit card transaction... (AMEX is very happy to refund your money when the merchant won't respond... take THAT Handango and IGIA!)

B) To get everything running again... When you get the dreaded error, do a warm reset (hold the up button whilst pushing the button on the back with the reset tool)... Load Super Utility, find the Saved Preferences file. Inside of it, probably quite near the bottom of the records will be the AOLA record. At the top right you can change the name, I changed this to xxxx so I could find it in the future if there's a program to delete specific records out of a database. That's it. If you had a backup file, say Saved Preference (without the s on the end, conveniently located just above the corrupt file alphabetically, just delete the corrupt culprit, then immediately highlight your good Saved Preference file, go to the menu and copy to the same location, add the s to the end, and you're done--with your original backup file (still untouched), and also in place of your corrupt file.

For AIM and ICQ to work, with a less-than-one-minute-every-few-days-hassle is worth it.

Also, if you really want some fun, check out UpIRC (a new version was released just yesterday I believe... It's very fast, fun, and includes a lot of the functionality you'd expect of a programmer these days. Including hitting the enter key to send a message, specific colored messages, multiple #channels at once (with alert messages when there's activity in an alternate room), and it works very fast in conjunction with Vision (for example, I can go to Dalnet's #chataholics trivia room, and even though my huge thumbs on tiny keys and a wireless connection, I can still get in answers before other people--odd, huh?) ALSO, to add to the ease of use, there's a companion PQA for choosing your server. Select A-Z your server name (Dalnet for instance), then click the link for the name and location of the specific server you want at it will AUTOMATICALLY open UpIRC and drop the server in. Yummy.
    got aol up again...downloaded trial of superutility...found aola file and changed name....then reinstalled AIM and it wrked...didnt do a warm reset yet...im sure ill learn fast when it crashes....thks
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a "version" list that says what the supposed differences are per version? I have at least two versions here - a 1.0 UK (that I got today from http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/index.html) and the 1.1 Build 5. 1.1 Build 5 crashes repeatedly - thus far 1.0 UK is doing fine (although I'm assuming it will crash eventually <g>.

Just wonder if there is any reason to WANT 1.1 Build 5 over the version I'm using right now.

Thanks.

Danita
    how come the 1.0 UK version crashed on me and the 1.1 build 5 version hasn't crashed yet for two weeks now. it's probably dependent on other 3rd party software loaded - mainly browsers and email apps. something to ponder. good luck.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    how come the 1.0 UK version crashed on me and the 1.1 build 5 version hasn't crashed yet for two weeks now. it's probably dependent on other 3rd party software loaded - mainly browsers and email apps. something to ponder. good luck.
    I know it is very frustrating, because that was the same idea I had - I did a hard reset of my Treo this morning, made a new HotSync user and put ONLY AIM 1.1 Build 5 on it - and it crashed after 45 minutes of use. I've now got the UK 1.0 on there - I also have an Australian build that I can try <g>. The SuperUtility trick works nicely too though - I had to use it once when I was testing 1.1 - that's kind of why I wondered what the differences are. If SuperUtility keeps me running without too many grey hairs, I want the version with the most "features".

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    Actually, the need to "reset" is the issue here I guess, and as of today all versions of AIM I have will cause the Treo to crash - no other apps installed, just the standard and AIM - and if I leave the Treo in AIM and walk away for about 30 minutes I will come back to a "locked up" Treo and have to reset. And then it's edit the database time.

Oh well. As long as I know the limitations I can learn to live with them until something else comes along.

Danita
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12