View Poll Results: When Did you buy your 300?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aug

51 28.98%
  • Sept

15 8.52%
  • Oct

32 18.18%
  • Nov

51 28.98%
  • Dec??

27 15.34%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    With all of the recent discounts now available on the 300 I think it would be interesting to see if the Treo is starting to catch on. So I ask you, "When did you buy your 300?"
    i was bugging the sprint store folks here in Pittsburgh for a couple of weeks before Aug 12. They even sold it to me a couple of days before they were supposed to but I could not activate it until 3G was up and running. It took 4 days to fully provision my data and it has been a pleasure since then. I may keep this sucker through a couple of the new palm phones coming out soon because I don't want to give up the keyboard.
    Bump
    (eom)
    You know what else would have been quite interesting? It would be great to have a channel check in which users also note where they bought their Treo 300.

i wonder what the breakdown would be between amazon, sprint stores, bb&cc, and Hand's website. I am specifically curious about what percent of revenues are being down earned directly on Hand's website and what kind of percentage Amazon makes up on the overall.

Thanks for doing the survey razorpit
    Originally posted by rvwink
    You know what else would have been quite interesting? It would be great to have a channel check in which users also note where they bought their Treo 300.

i wonder what the breakdown would be between amazon, sprint stores, bb&cc, and Hand's website. I am specifically curious about what percent of revenues are being down earned directly on Hand's website and what kind of percentage Amazon makes up on the overall.

Thanks for doing the survey razorpit
    CC here.... I was an existing Sprint customer, so that was the best deal for me. And since it looks like the 7135 isn't coming out any time soon.... I'm very happy I got the Treo!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by rvwink

I bought mine at CompUSA in August. However, any survey like this is going to be very lopsided towards the "best" deal, because after the initial buying spree in August, many of us (if I have read the threads correctly) bought where the best deal at the time was, according to this BB. So, you'll get a "non-statistically valid" result...
    Aug - CompUsa
    I just got mine this week. And I would have never bought it without the useful info gleaned from this board. No outgoing sms and no wireless modem prevented me from purchasing earlier. But I realized here that third party solutions existed. I'm getting treo300sms up and running today. Next stop, Scott's wirelessmodem. and then on to email. Thank you all!

mschwarz
    atlanta
    I think there are other issues other than price.

A significiant percentage will buy from Sprint because they that is where they went to check out their alternatives. Apparently there are alot of people who want to buy from the cc, bb and compusa sources because they can drop off a broken unit and pick up a replacement and because they offer price matching. Then there are the price deal at Amazon, but you have to wait for the rebate, and if the unit is broken, perhaps you aren't as well off in terms of getting a replacement. Also the Hand website may make some people believe they will get quicker service if they buy direct. So I am just curious as to what the percentages would be from the various channels.
    The implications of this survey are interesting.

At first blush, the doubling of volume in November over October makes it seem like Treo 300 sales are finally taking off. But then there are implications that perhaps the big volume increase relates to the price reduction at Amazon and then when that offer expires, the volume will return to former levels. The reason I don't think that is the case, is that the number of users of the treo 300 is growing geometrically. For the first 2 months, I think there were about 26,000 users according to my estimates.

For October maybe there were about 17,000 more users. But November appears like it adds another 33,000 users if this survey is to be believed. So we have gone from 26,000 two months ago to roughly 76,000 presently which is a tripling of the user base in two quick months. As the number of Treo 300 user expands, the amount of favorable word of mouth expands as well. Maybe we are getting close to the time when there are enough satisfied users, so that the user base starts to change from the early adopter crowd, to more main stream customers who listen to their early adopter friends and finally feel comfortable taking a chance on a relatively new product.
    I'm sure the $10/month for unlimited data from Sprint had a major impact. That's what made me consider anything data-related rather than just a basic phone, and thus consider the Treo.

It's also likely that the longer ago someone purchased, the less likely they are to still regularly read TreoCentral, and thus responses for older months will be lower.
    Two valid points.

The unlimted data is a huge plus. PCS in a recent interview didn't think vz could afford to match their offer, so it should be out there for a while as a compelling offer to Vz users.

I also agree that there is a fall off on the thread after someone has belonged for a few months. But the increases are quite dynamic. If you project current results, it works out to about 1,000 units per vote. So 26,000 treo 300 units last quarter, and 46,000 units so far this quarter with 1/3 left to go. Subtracting 15% for the tendency of newer purchasers to stay more active, 40,000 units sold to date, so that 60,000 units seems a reasonable projection for this quarter, not counting corporate sales. That is quite a steep product ramp even considering the effect you mentioned.
    I personally think the old user dropoff would be more than the range of 85%. Simply the way it is -- people participate while they're learning the device and having beginning problems, then once the new gadget isn't their obsession anymore, they just use it, instead of spending lots of time talking about it.
    It's a gadget that keeps on giving. Always newer and more functional software coming out. How else would we know about it other than TreoCentral? We have a large base of users that continually help eachother, and in turn Handspring keeps us drooling....
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    So pretend you are DD and it is October 15th. You sold 26,000 units in the first two months through to consumers but in August you sold 20,000 and in September you sold 6,000. What would you project the sell through would be for the next quarter?

I would guess about 15,000 units a month or 45,000 Treo 300s for the December quarter based on the August/September numbers, and that is close to what happened for the month of October. But November the volume is almost double from what might have been expected. Suddenly with a month left to go, and 40,000 units have already been sold. It appears that we are knocking on the door of 60,000-65,000 units for the December quarter from the retail channels alone. I also think that there will be a modest contribution from corporate sales channel as well so that 70,000 could be the sell through of the Treo 300. If you add in modest improvement in sell through for the Treo 270/180 from the 18,000 units last quarter, you are talking about close to 100,000 Treo communicators sell through this quarter, up from 44,000 last quarter. This would be the first time since Hand started in this new category that the supriise is likely to be to the upside. Ed C. talked about needing higher volume to drive prices lower. It seems like communicator revenues are ramping dramatically higher this quarter which may help keep prices down at their current levels.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    I personally think the old user dropoff would be more than the range of 85%. Simply the way it is -- people participate while they're learning the device and having beginning problems, then once the new gadget isn't their obsession anymore, they just use it, instead of spending lots of time talking about it.
    I think it would be wrong to say 85% of the "old" users have dropped off this board already. The Treo 300 is still a relatively new product with enhancements and updates coming out all the time. Sure we've covered many subjects two or three times now but usually there is a new spin each time they are re-visited. Many of the people here who post are above 100 posts.

I joined Visorcentral back when it first started. Even though I didn't post every day I always checked in to see what was new. That stopped the day Dana made her announcement of the end of the Visor line and the Springboard. I figured who cares anymore. When it came time to replace my aging Prism the deal I got at Best Buy combined with the unlimited data from Sprint made it a no-brainer for me to go the 300 route.

Whether you buy your unit from Amazon or Best Buy the $250 - $350 price range is about right for this product. I personally feel $500 was WAY too much when it first came out. I'm glad OS5 is out because I think that had a large part in the price drop. The only thing I envy of the new units are the displays and the ability to add memory.

--Dave
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I bought mine in October when the rebates came out. I agree that for $250-$350 the Treo is a steal since most new color Palm unit without wireless phone cost about the same. The lack of memory expansion does bother me, but the usb connector should enable some enterprising company to sell a plug in memory expansion/backup device.

I was waiting for the Samsung Palm Flip Phone, but I decided that the Treo was available now while the competition have not officially announced a release date yet. If they were going to be out before Christmas, don't yo think that a release date would have ben announced by now.
    Its really interesting that so many people are waiting for Kyocera, Sony phones and Samsung phones, while all three are having problems delivering on time. Hand's big delay has been with the gprs patch. I think Samsung, Sony and Kyocera were using hardware solutions to provide gprs compatibility. I wonder if that is the hold up for S,S and k? Getting gprs compatibility between several service providers?

Now that you have had the Treo since October, are you sold on the advantage of the Treo keyboard, versus the competition or would you have been happier if Samsung had delivered on time?
    I personally knew from the beginning that a keyboard was mandatory. Keyboard + unlimited net access is why I'm here.

Thus, while I'm curious to see what phones are coming in the near future, I'm only interested in ones with keyboards.

What good is a PDA that you can't input to?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast