1.    #1  
    So I installed PalmVNC today because I'm going on a trip and want to access my home computer remotely using only my Treo. PalmVNC works great. I'm able to view and interact with my desktop, open folders and applications, restart the machine, access my desktop Outlook, etc. But my problem is I can't figure out how to use the special Treo characters (the blue option button, then the ...0 key).

For example, if I'm using Outlook and want to send an email to "mobile_dave..." there's no way to create the underscore. You can't do it the normal way.

Has anyone figured this out? As I write this, I just thought of a workaround but it would be painful. I could create a Note file in Outlook or a Text doc on the desktop that has all the characters, then copy and paste via the VPN as needed. Doable, I suppose, but pretty slow. Any better ideas?
    I just tried Win-Hand or Hand-Win or whatever it is, and I think it's far superior to PalmVNC (the download appears to anticipate scrolling, IOW when you move your view around the PC's screen you don't have to wait for it to download the part next to what you were looking at, it just pops right up--HUGE improvement in reading any window that's bigger than 160x160).

It's not free like PalmVNC, but worth the added cost.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    I remember reading that HS posted a "cheat sheet" if you will, on their website. It has all the 0-key combos. "_" is the 0-key function of the "f" key. On another note, how long have you been using PalmVNC? Is it stable on your Treo? Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    It's not the actual keys that I need to know. It's how to access them when you're connected to your desktop. Remember, at that point, in a way you're not really using your keyboard. And that's the rub. I'm not sure how that works. I think you're emulating the desktop keyboard.

I've been using PalmVNC for all of about 90 minutes. But I haven't heard anything about it being unstable.

I know there are other VPN programs but I really like the "free" part of this one. I don't plan on using it very often, so this is fine for now.
    A friend setup a servo-controlled webcam, where the servos were directed by mouse movements. I was able to PalmVNC in and control it. Very cool! Streaming webcam, turning wherever I dragged with the stylus.

PalmVNC has been very stable for me.
    I have a couple of qestions for you. Do you have a static IP? Also I have DSL and am using a router and NAT for multiple PC access. Can I use this VNC app to gain access to one of them from the outside?

Thanks,

Thomas
    Originally posted by tainlay
    Also I have DSL and am using a router and NAT for multiple PC access. Can I use this VNC app to gain access to one of them from the outside?
    most home network NAT/routers have an option for "virtual server", where they forward specific ports (or all ports) to one of the PC's on your network.

for the non-static-IP problem you can use services like eyep, no-ip or cjb.net that create a DNS entry for your IP every time it changes so you can always get to it at yourname.cjb.net (for example)
    Cool! Thanks for the FYI I've got a Linksys BEFSR41 router so it may be a cheapie and not support those features. I'll have to check the manual to see.

Thomas
    BTW, which PalmVNC version are you using? I did a search at Palm Gear and came back with two versions. 1.1 and 1.4.

Thomas
  10.    #10  
    Windows Character Map application is a system accessory in Windows. You can easily type any windows character using this accessory. It should work fine under VNC.
    Download and install the free version of RecoEcho+ you're entilited to as a Treo owner and you can use grafitti to create the underscore character you need to create ....... works fine in Palm VNC 1.4 ........

fm
    I tried out the WinHand yesterday and it worked fine until my IP address changed so I'll be using the DNS notification system. Accessing my PC from the road was pretty neat although I'm not sure what practical application I have for this capability a of yet.

I'm going to try the Palm VNC today

Thomas
    I'm a big fan of VNC yet I tried out Win Hand yesterday and was blown away by its speed. It was a bit confusing to use and I still don't know how to type yet, but as far as refresh speed goes it blew VNC away. Just something to consider.
    Winhand is TONS faster. The biggest advantage is that it appears to download the unseen portion of the PC screen in the background, so that when you scroll your view you don't have to wait, you see the new portion of the PC screen immediately.

It doesn't sound like much, but for me, it's a huge difference. I can probably do stuff 3 or 4 times faster using Winhand than PalmVNC.

If you want to actually use remote PC control for something (rather than just as a gimmick) to me it seems there is no choice.
    I forgot to add that I was getting disconnected every few minutes and would received a message indicating that there is a data flow control problem and that I needed to upgrade to Palm OS 3.5.2.H6.0. I have 3.5.2H now. Is there a newer version available? The work around suggested that I set "Delay Active." Unfortunatelt this didn't work either.

I just noticed that at the time of disconnect there is an error message on my PC:

Another application is using the server type specfied in the settings dialog (also known as PORT). Please sellect another server type.

I am using the server type recommended by the program for DSL and PC behind a router/firewall so what would be a good port to change it too?

Thomas
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ckohler
    I'm a big fan of VNC yet I tried out Win Hand yesterday and was blown away by its speed. It was a bit confusing to use and I still don't know how to type yet, but as far as refresh speed goes it blew VNC away. Just something to consider.
    WinHand is definitely the best. But what problem are you having with typing? You just type!

Plus it will pop up screen keyoards if you hit one of the hard buttons (the mail one, I think).
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ckohler
    WinHand is definitely the best. But what problem are you having with typing? You just type!

Plus it will pop up screen keyboards if you hit one of the hard buttons (the mail one, I think).
    It will tell you which port you have to forward on your firewall to make this work, and it won't conflict with other server apps.
    Default was FTP which the software suggested be changed to winhand in the configuration and xxxxx on the firewall. I wonder if the message comes from trying to reconnect from the Treo while the server side thinks it is still connected?

Thomas