Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On a positive note, it's very good that Handspring has given me no beef about 4 replacement units over the last 8 months. And I've only had to pay for express replacement one time.

Now the bad news - I'm soon to be on Treo 180 #5. Here's the death count:
    #1: speaker stopped working after ~4 months - the mysterious "speaker only works when flip is almost totally closed" syndrome
    #2: spontaneous hard resets every day or two - replaced immediately
    #3: same as #1 after about 1 month
    #4: Same as #1 after about 3 months
    #5: Why am I not confident that this one will last forever? Should be here today...

WTF????

Has anyone else seen this kind of failure pattern with the 180 or other units??? Does anyone have any "inside" information on what the issue is with the speaker flip switch that does this, and whether it's been resolved in new models???

Insanity lurking...
    Paul
    Don't know if it is the flip switch, but I did see photos of a disassembled Treo with the 2 speaker wires routed through the hinge, and it appears that this is the location and mode of failure.
    My wife and I are both on Treo 180 #2 (speakers died after 5 months)--we are 2 months in now and the clock is running...
    I'm on my 3rd 180. Expecting either time or the Update (if it is ever released) to kill this one.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Mine got run over by a car, and the only thing that happend was the screen cracked ($179 replacement cost, though). I was under the impression that the Treo was durable!

You guys are freakin' me out about the dependability. I hope my speaker doesn't cut out.

later
    I have no solutions to any of my problems but am on my 4th 180 - broken speaker, nothing works, radio damage. Thye do replace them rapidly which is the only redeeming feature. I really dislike this product but will continue to persevere. I had a Blackberry before. I thought this would be an improved product - far from it. I would advise anybody to go to one of the new Blackberrys if they were looking for a competitive product. I really loved the Blackberry and miss it. I could go on and on in terms of the problems I have had but I won't. And how about paying $20. U.S. for service after 3 months even if you haven't had one that ever worked - they still count from the point at which you bought your first one! Anyway i am glad to see there is a resource like this for us sad folks who bought these defective devices. Pathetic!
    As a present user of a Blackberry and a Treo, I can say they are for completely different purposes. If wireless e-mail is what you need, a BB is better, but for everything else, a Treo demolishes a Blackberry.
    Originally posted by jposin
    Don't know if it is the flip switch, but I did see photos of a disassembled Treo with the 2 speaker wires routed through the hinge, and it appears that this is the location and mode of failure.
    My wife and I are both on Treo 180 #2 (speakers died after 5 months)--we are 2 months in now and the clock is running...
    Having seen the inside of a Treo "not mine as that would invalidate the warranty", I can confirm that there is no hard switch as such. The switch is magnetic - ie. there is no physical contact. I believe the problem lies with the two wires as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The wires are very thin and with the constant opening and closing of the lid, I would say that these wires are prone to wear.

A much better solution for HS would have been to use rainbow cable but I guess cost factored into it.

Oh, I too am on Treo180 number 4.
    #1 Screen died (yep, on a 180!)
    #2 'B stock' replacement would power on/off all by itself
    #3 Sent me another 'B stock' replacement (simply refused to accept delivery) - I wanted a new machine not refurbished.
    #4 New machine is still going...
  8.    #8  
    First, I agree it isn't likely related to the mag switch because the flip still does what it should (turns on and off, ends the call, etc.)

But it's really odd that in all three dead speaker cases I've had, closing the flip 80-90% of the way makes the speaker magically come on - not that you can carry on a conversation that way - but I would think if it's a worn wire, short, etc. that this "feature" wouldn't be so predictable...

Maybe it's like Budweiser - it's the world's highest quality beer because every batch is exactly the same, but this doesn't mean it tastes good...

Paul
    I'm also one #4

#1 - dead speaker after about 5 months
    #2 - dead radio from the start
    #3 - dead radio from the start
    #4 - brand new stock..no junk refurb this time, but who knows....
  10. ejk
    Paul Penny:

I too have the speaker problem (works when open less than 1/2"). I emailed Handsping about the problem, they sent back a troubleshooting list to confirm the problem. I did everything in the list (including a hard reset), but nothing changed. I emailed them back telling them so. They replied with this:
    At this point, I would recommend you contact our Wireless Technical Support
    Line directly. Our agent will be required to collect standard billing
    information, as there is a $19.95 charge for all technical support issues
    for owners of Handspring products over 90 days old. We will continue to
    troubleshoot your issue, which may result in a replacement. If your unit is
    over 90 ninety days since the original purchase date, should the mandatory
    troubleshooting steps be unsuccessful, our agent may waive the $19.95
    technical support charge if we issue you a replacement.
    I bought my Treo 180 back in April, so it is over 90 days old but should still be under the 1 year warranty.

My question to you is: is there any way to bypass this tech support call (and its $19.95 charge that may be waived)??? I'd rather not have to jump through a half-hour of hoops in order for them to realize I have a defective unit.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Is this only on the 180? Mine is just ordered now, and if the other models don't have this problem, I might change.
    Originally posted by ejk

My question to you is: is there any way to bypass this tech support call (and its $19.95 charge that may be waived)??? I'd rather not have to jump through a half-hour of hoops in order for them to realize I have a defective unit. [/B]
    my experience is that you just tell them the problem and that most of the time they replace it right away with out mentioning any fees
    in other devices the batteries going down after a few years.... with treo not ... because you get every 5 month a new one :-)

Sorry... for this joke... but I have my 6th treo till today. I have a treo since april this year....
    just to fill up this database, I'm with the 4th Treo 180 too:

#1 battery down after a couple of hours
    #2 fell down from 30cm, radio strength problems
    #3 damn "no speaker" problem
    #4 ?

have you got info about 270 strength?
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    I'm on my 2nd replacement- radio inop followed by dead speaker.

I just read this on another thread (Handspring Customer Support):
    "Third replacement, you can demand a 270. HS told me that it is their 'policy' to upgrade 3rd replacement to a 270 (they just don't tell you this so ask)."

I kind of hope the speaker goes again
    call 1-888-565-9393
    not 1-877-426-3777

they don't even mention the 20 dollar service charge....but please don't abuse this number...otherwise they will get wise.

2. Dead Radio

Hey when you guys say your Radio is dead.....

Do you mean...phone function doesn't work at all...or it's just really crappy?

I've had two phones so far with the worst reception (echo...and more) of any phone I've ever owned.

I just assumed it was a local condition or a problem with all Treo's because both phones had the problem.

Anyways...now I'm getting my phone replaced because the stylus falls out....
    the lady tried to charge me the 25.00 advanced replacement. But when she found out this is my 3rd one....i got the charge waived. SOP (standard op. procedure)

3. Free upgrade to a 270??!! That would be totally awesome! I would like to see a few confirmed reportings of this incident!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    My speaker is dying, and I have had to order a replace unit. The grand total I've spent on my Treo180, since March 2002, is $604!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, $604!! Now the D@MN thing sells for $250 w/ DVD player?........I don't know how to explain to anyone has pissed off I am.

PS - Can't ebay, now. 180s are only commanding around $150
    ok...well.. If I were you I'd buy the extended warranty package before your year is up.

why have you spent so much money. Aren't most repairs warranty work. I've had mine replaced twice with no personal cost.
    I would think everyone would be a bit more infuriated than the majority of you

I mean, what other piece of electronics have you EVER had to return FIVE TIMES?

this is ABSURED
  20.    #20  
    I'm certainly NOT satisfied with my 180 design/build quality given the large number of problems.

But I'm so ecstatic with the capabilities, form factor, and overall coolness of the Treo that I'm willing to put up with it. I'm an early adopter and I understand the price I pay in terms of $$$, reliability, early obsolescence, rapid depreciation, inability to later recover my $$$, occasional inconvenience, need to work with clueless tech support people, etc. In a perfect world this wouldn't be the case. But in the real world it is.

Anyone who isn't wired this way should know better than to buy a first-generation technology product in our inperfect world... unless they enjoy being pissed off... Occassionally you get lucky and get one that "just works" - but that's the exception rather than the rule...

Just my personal advice for a lower-stress world...

That said, FIVE TIMES is excessive. So I'm either loopy or the treo is just plain awesome. Otherwise I wouldn't put up with it.

Paul
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast