Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Oh...cause of death

SDD

Speaker defectile disorder

I bought my first Treo when they first came out in Jan 2002. It worked great until December and the speaker went out.
    Received an advanced replacement a few days later, and this thing was a NIGHTMARE.
    1. The network connects 1 out of 5 times.
    2. Internet does not work at all. Can't adjust settings.
    3. The signal strength is horrid.
    4. see above

I called my person at Handspring and they sent another replacement. I received it last night. I fired it up and there is a electronic noise being emiited from inside the unit. That was a new one to me.

I understand why they disco'd the 180's. It is a piece of junk that has no durability. I had my old Nokia 6250 and Palm V for 5 years without any problems.

Handspring has told me that they will not replace the 180 with a new unit (not making any new ones). They only have refurbished models. In other words--models that also came back from RMA's. They also explained that they do not have a fix for the speaker problem. So you can expect your Treo to be replaced every 3-12 mos. That is unacceptable.

It is clear that they will continue to have problems until they address the issues and replace the 180 with something that actually works.

Is there anyone out there that has had a 180 problem-free for over 11 months. Maybe they just don't post here. Maybe they post in the "Happy Treo Users" forum. Oh yeah--that doesn't exist.
    Hi,

Here is a "hapy treo user" My 180 is over a year old, however, I susspect it will "die" with the SDD syndrom some time soon since the speaker stops working if you move the lid
    I, too am on my fourth treo - in just 89 days!!! I have not been a victim of the speaker problem. My always just locks up adn does spontaneous hard resets - each one of the four!
    mine was always the ubiquitous speaker problem (at about month 8) and after reading of all the OTHER problems that happened when one would return the unit and only get a refurbished one I decided to keep my original 180 and just do without the lid -- I'd rather have everything else working fine.

It's rather sad that Handspring's first product, which was/is quite revolutionary, has so many problems, and as a company (due to financial problems or what) has continued on this course of continual BADLY refurbished units.

180's are the guinea pigs, and I guess they think we still like the damn thing enough not to ruin Handsprings name when they come out with their newer stuff in the fall.

I, for one, wil NOT be buying the latest telecommunication products anymore -- it's a business that's hard-pressed for cash and not a good time for them IMHO.

I'll just stick with better Apple products -- they need to make their iPod into a Treo type product in my opinin.
    Well looks like I'm about to have my 5th treo 180... Stupid me for being an early adopter.

BTW... RMA does NOT MEAN FIXED!!!!!!! Don't let ANYONE ever try convince you of that.
    Dead speaker again.
    After the standard conversation with Handspring I was transfered to T-Mobile, who will be providing the replacement.
    This one ought to last until the new model Treo comes out - I'm glad it won't have a flip lid with the associated high failure rate!

Update 6/13: They sent me the wrong unit - a 180G!!! I talked to T-Mobile and they're sending another one, in the meantime they gave me 200 extra minutes on my phone plan and upgraded me to the brand new unlimited GPRS plan.
    Last edited by dspires; 06/13/2003 at 05:35 AM.
    I just experienced the death of my first Treo, due to the infamous speaker death. Looking at the posts here, it looks like I've been lucky to have this one last an amazing 11 months! (Although I'm not a very heavy phone user, so that may not say too much.) I talked to someone at Handspring this morning and was eventually transferred to someone at T-Mobile, which surprised me, who then
    said they'd send a replacement. Is it normal for T-Mobile to be handling the replacements for the Treo 180 (for those with T-Mobile service)?
    My Treo 180 speaker just died at 14 months.

Guess what? Handspring refuses to even answer my polite requests for service for this well-known flaw. They could at least politely decline and apologize.

Given that, and the overall very cheesy build quality on this device, I'm not buying from Handspring again. Maybe after Palm releases a version with some quality manufacturing.

In the meantime, I've opened the unit to do the fix myself per that guy's post. Not very difficult, except for the fact that the one piece is glued into place and must be pried off and re-glued.
    Originally posted by beltho
    IIs it normal for T-Mobile to be handling the replacements for the Treo 180 (for those with T-Mobile service)?

yes, this is how it is done now.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    yes, this is how it is done now.
    Does this frustrate anyone else but me? After speaking to several folks at both Handspring and T-Mobile I haven't been able to get much of an assurance that whatever refurbished unit they send out will have been specifically checked for frayed speaker wires, I'm starting to think that just fixing the wires myself is a better option. (Everything else works fine, and the warranty is so close to expsiring anyway.)

BTW, in talking to someone at Handspring, I was told that there will be a version of the next generation Treo that works with T-Mobile. He seemed very certain of this, although didn't really know when we could expect to see it come out.
    Originally posted by beltho

Does this frustrate anyone else but me? After speaking to several folks at both Handspring and T-Mobile I haven't been able to get much of an assurance that whatever refurbished unit they send out will have been specifically checked for frayed speaker wires, I'm starting to think that just fixing the wires myself is a better option. (Everything else works fine, and the warranty is so close to expsiring anyway.)

BTW, in talking to someone at Handspring, I was told that there will be a version of the next generation Treo that works with T-Mobile. He seemed very certain of this, although didn't really know when we could expect to see it come out.
    I got my only replacement from t-mobile several months ago, it didn't look refurb and has been working like a champ ever since (except for eudora).
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I am waiting for TREO # 6 since Feb 02. A couple lost the earphone sound, a couple had incessant echo, one lost the backlight after a few weeks, and the most current one randomly soft or hard resets.

I bought the Extended Warranty at onset, and had no problem with replacements. With the last call, the CS rep tried to tell me that I should only get one replacement with the warranty outside the 90 day standard period. I reminded the pinhead that his interpretation applied to the screen replacement, and so far the screen was the only thing that had lasted.

After I escalated to a supervisor, he conceded that my warranty remained valid until Feb 04 and agreed to send me a new unit. I am starting to wonder if they are recycling the returns back to us at this stage. Since HS does not sell them anymore, and they crash on an intermittent basis, the new replacement stockpile must be depleting at a rapid rate.

Boy do I hope the 600 is a better technology.
    Invest in Education; the future return grossly exceeds anything else. You can lose your car or your house, but not your degree.
    270 died... endless network search. Tried the HS Radio Reset, the battery disconnect and tried reinstalling the GPRS Updater - no go

Should have my replacement from Nova in about a month.

Treo 180 - 3 replacements
    Treo 270 - 1 replacement
    www.gsmworld.com
    This is the second consecutive time that HS promised a free replacement of my 180 and failed to even process it for 2 days. I firmly suggested that the 180 was defective by general design, and they should send 270 replacement.

I was kicked up to the supervisor, who indicated they would do it as a special situation but I would have to pay the $150 difference. Bite that; there is no guarantee that the 270 will fare any better.

In the end, HS promised to send a new 180, rather than a recycled refurb that they send the other poor souls. My last concern appears to be well-founded; they are running out of new Treo 180s because they fail so often. I am just hoping that the 600 comes out before my Extended Warranty expires in Feb 2004. Now that I am on #6, I am not particularly optimistic for the next 6 months of dependability. Soon they will have nothing but recycled returns to send.
    Invest in Education; the future return grossly exceeds anything else. You can lose your car or your house, but not your degree.
    I got my first 180 just about as soon as I could -- February, 2002? (the oldest calls in my call log say 2/23/01, but that doesn't seem right)

I'm on my second replacement -- bad speaker each time.

Both times, HS support took my credit card number, but then didn't bill it because of the RMI authorization. It does raise the ire a bit when they insist on the CC number, though...

Both times I got a ship-ahead replacement very quickly and had no trouble moving to the new unit.

Other than this stuff, I've been very happy with the 180.
    Phoned up today to arrange for my 4th Treo in 4 months after number 3 packed. Same fault as the other 2 - random crashes/freezing/failing to switch on, requiring either soft or hard resets to bring it back to life.

At the end of the 1 year warranty period, by which time I guess I'll be on number 12, I'll bin the thing and buy something that actually works.
    Yeah, unfortunately, I'm on my 7th Treo 180.....mostly for the recurring speaker issue that Handspring, despite hundreds if not thousands of recurrances, will not admit to. Now that my year warranty is done, I'm sure I'm stuck with a piece of crap that I overpaid for. Unless there's an absolutely AWESOME trade in plan, this will be my last Handspring unit.

As long as I don't use the headset, I've had no problems with this unit, but am certain as soon as I have to use it on the road, that the recurring problem will be there.
    Treo number 4 arrived today, but is suffering from the same fault as the last 3 constant freezes/lockups. They must be taking the ****. Soon to be 5 Treos in 4 months.
    Handspring have agreed to replace Treo 180 number 4 with a Treo 270. Hopefully that will be a bit more reliable - we'll see. It's a great unit when it works - I really hope the 270 does the business.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234