Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Thanks to Bulletfast for pointing me to Palm MIDI Desktop....

OK, here's all you have to do:

1. Download and unzip Palm MIDI Desktop:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/red...=3448&type=zip

2. There's a database on your Treo called "MIDI Ring Tones." Set this so it will get backed up.

3. Synch (make sure you're setup so that "Handheld overwrites PC" for the System stuff).

4. Go to \Program Files\Handspring\[Device Name]\Backup (or wherever), find the file MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB, and make a backup copy of it.

5. Run Palm MIDI Desktop and open MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB. Import whatever MIDI files you want. Polyphonic, whatever. Save.

6. Go into your synch settings and change System to "PC overwrites Handheld."

7. Synch.

8. Enjoy!

Note that after you synch the updated MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB back to your Treo, you'll probably get a "Fatal Exception" message and the device will have to be reset. I'm not sure why that is. It doesn't seem to cause a problem though, and all the ringtones you imported will still show up after the reset.
    And yet another reason this discussion site is worth its weight in gold.

Geoffrey
    I tried to import some polyphonic ringtones but the java application kept giving error messages.

what extension should the polyphonic files have? the ones I tried are *.mmf???

are there any "free" polyphonic ring tones that you know will work this way (to test)?

otherwise worked great for midi files (*.mid).
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    As far as I know it just works with MIDI files. There are a bunch of free programs out there for editing MIDI files. You can make your own polyphonic ringtones.
    I can't seem to find a 'System' in the sync settings.
    Originally posted by slffl
    I can't seem to find a 'System' in the sync settings.
    Click on the HotSync icon in the system tray.
    Pick 'Custom' from the menu.
    Scroll to the bottom of the window.
    Click 'System'.
    Click 'Change'.
    Click the middle button and hit 'OK'.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...
    I'm having some trouble with step 2. How do I set that db to get backed up?
    I'm using Backup Buddy. When I install it, it replaces the 'System' selection in the HotSync settings with a Backup Buddy one. However, if I try to overwrite the PDA files with the PC ones, it ends up restoring everything in the backup directory.

Does anyone who is also using BB know how to just make it restore 1 file (MIDI_Ringtones_Tones) from the PC to PDA?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    UPDATE:

Once you've got a copy of MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB, don't use "PC overwrites Handheld" to transfer it back. Just use the Install Tool to copy it back up after you modfy it. This method is much faster, and you don't have to reset the device afterwards. Just test your new ringers right away!

I've been doing some experimenting with the instruments available on the Treo. It's got a nice compliment. I just made a polyphonic ringer with banjos. Awesome.

And is it me, or does anyone else think ringers that are actually songs (showtunes, whatever) are just stupid?

Regarding the question about how to set the database so that it gets backed up: I'm not sure how to do it from the default launcher, but in Silver Screen you view All as a list, expand so you see all the databases, then drag MIDI Ring Tones onto the Info tool. The resulting dialog has a checkbox for "backup."
    Originally posted by skidoo
    UPDATE:
    I just made a polyphonic ringer with banjos. Awesome.
    Any chance of posting it? Its just I have never heard a polyphonic ringtone on the treo and I would like to hear what it is all about before going further.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by manu

Any chance of posting it? Its just I have never heard a polyphonic ringtone on the treo and I would like to hear what it is all about before going further.

Thanks!
    You're Treo came with polyphonic ringtones, e.g. Jazz Combo. A polyphonic MIDI file (which is all the ringtones are) is one in which multiple notes (on the same or different instruments) are played at the same time.

As to posting the ringers, I'm going to compile a collection of effects-type ringers (i.e. no songs). I'll post the whole shooting match as soon as I feel it's worthy.
    Oh, is that what polyphonic means! I guess I was expecting more (like the ringtones on some Sony phones). However please post your compilation, I agree on NOT using songs - I would be too embarased when my phone went off in public!
    actually the songs idea can be pretty cool, though of course it depends on taste and the song. my treo currently rings to the 'get smart' theme, now all i have to do is figure out how to fit the treo in my shoe and i'm all set.

seriously though, i have had email conversations with palmgsm.net about their tones collection because the problem is, even if you do like songs, we don't need WHOLE songs, just the recognizable parts that come across loud enough to be heard.

as an example, they have the adams family theme, and it opens with the part where they snap their fingers. that is the first part of it as a ringtone, and you can't hear it! if they just put in 10 seconds of the harpsichord part it would be neat.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    UPDATE:

Once you've got a copy of MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB, don't use "PC overwrites Handheld" to transfer it back. Just use the Install Tool to copy it back up after you modfy it. This method is much faster, and you don't have to reset the device afterwards. Just test your new ringers right away!
    I tried this before this thread was made, but it never worked. It seems to update the main Ringer Preferences ringtones, but when I goto individual ringtones, the list is not the same and not updated. Is there a different file for individual ring tones?
    Last edited by slffl; 11/21/2002 at 10:46 AM.
  15. jmw
    I'm using Backup Buddy. When I install it, it replaces the 'System' selection in the HotSync settings with a Backup Buddy one. However, if I try to overwrite the PDA files with the PC ones, it ends up restoring everything in the backup directory.

Does anyone who is also using BB know how to just make it restore 1 file (MIDI_Ringtones_Tones) from the PC to PDA?
    I am having trouble with step 2 also. I don't have backup buddy - where can i get it? I couldn't find it on PalmGear.com.

I tried two other utilities, Filez and SuperUtility. Neither of them showed a "MIDI Ring Tones" database. All I saw that looked anything like that was a "Ringer" database. But the PalmMidiDesktop software couldn't read the "Ringer" file. It could read the "System MIDI Sounds", and I successfully added some tones to that, but the ringers are more important to me.

Is "backup buddy" the only utility that can see the MIDI ringers pdb on the treo? Both the utils i've tried are capable of seeing the ROM pdb's.

Anyone have a suggestion on how i can get the "MIDI Ring Tones" file off the treo?

thanks!
    jmw
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

I tried this before this thread was made, but it never worked. It seems to update the main Ringer Preferences ringtones, but when I goto individual ringtones, the list is not the same and not updated. Is there a different file for individual ring tones?
    Works fine here. When you talk about "individual ringtones," I assume you mean the ones you can set when you edit the speed dial buttons? All of my custom ringers show up there.

Works fine here. When you talk about "individual ringtones," I assume you mean the ones you can set when you edit the speed dial buttons? All of my custom ringers show up there.
    Yeah, those are the ones. Ringo must have messed something up. Could you or someone send me your MIDI_Ring_Tones file? I don't have another version of it besides the one I'm using now. Thanks.
    is backup buddy free? if not, there is a handy little free program called filez that will let you set backup attributes, among other things. I can't get a link to it right now, but you should be able to find it on palmgear or handango
    Good call on filez, works great to backup individual items, including "midi ringtones"

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...53&prodID=9992
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast