Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not that I'm that much of a stickler for detail but although polyphonic denotes more than one tone, midi is serial and only allows one note to be initiated (note on command) at a time but several can occur in succession before the multiple notes get turned off with a note off command.

I only bring it up because people were having trouble with polyphonic tones and there may be a problem with hitting the treo with too much midi data at once. I wonder how many notes it allows you to play at once.

Originally posted by skidoo

You're Treo came with polyphonic ringtones, e.g. Jazz Combo. A polyphonic MIDI file (which is all the ringtones are) is one in which multiple notes (on the same or different instruments) are played at the same time.

As to posting the ringers, I'm going to compile a collection of effects-type ringers (i.e. no songs). I'll post the whole shooting match as soon as I feel it's worthy.
    Ok, this is just weird. I did a hard reset (needed to do some housecleaning), and my previous 'custom' ringtones are STILL listed in the ringtone list. This is without doing a hotsync or anything. Right after a hard reset I connected the phone, went to phone app, preferences, tones, and they all show up, most are listed 2 or 3 times!I really hope ringo or Iring didn't modify the ROM image some how (would that be possible?)

Does anyone have a clue where these are coming from? Is it stored on sprint's server? Or is a 'hard reset' not a true hard reset and some files still remain?

Update: So I even deleted the MIDI_Ring_Tones file on my treo using filez, they still are listed and still play.
    Last edited by slffl; 11/21/2002 at 05:23 PM.
  3. jmw
    Originally posted by slffl

I tried this before this thread was made, but it never worked. It seems to update the main Ringer Preferences ringtones, but when I goto individual ringtones, the list is not the same and not updated. Is there a different file for individual ring tones?
    I'm having the same problem now. At first, I didn't, but the 2nd time I updated MIDI_Ring_Tones and hotsynced it, i had this problem.

Apparently, the only tones that show up in the individual speed dial entry ringer list are the 3 that you have chosen in the Ringers Preferences page for "Known" "Unknown" and "Roaming" ringers.

A hard reset does not clear these out of the Speed Dial ringer list. The songs still play. We already knew that a hard reset doesn't kill *everything* because you don't have to re-provision or any of that stuff. If anyone knows which db file to restore, I'd be ever grateful. thanks

jmw
    I downloaded Palm MIDI Desktop, which is a JAR application. I don't know what that is. Here is the instructions from the Palm MIDI Desktop web site:

QUOTE:
    How to Use

1.You must install JDK1.1 or install Microsoft IE4 or later.
    2.Download and extract Palm MIDI Desktop zip file on current directory.
    3.If you put PalmMidiDesktop.jar on current directory, type the following command:

java -classpath /jdk1.1.8/lib/classes.zip;PalmMidiDesktop.jar PalmMidiDesktop

If you installed Microsoft IE4, instead, you can type the following command:

jview -cp:a PalmMidiDesktop.jar PalmMidiDesktop

After type one of these commands, Palm MIDI Desktop starts.
    END QUOTE

So....what is JDK1.1? What is Microsoft IE4? Where is this comand line to type in all the stuff the developer wants us to type? When I click on the JAR application, WINRAR pops up. I don't even know what that is. I'm way over my head here....

Sorry to be so dumb!
    Well, until someone figures out where these ringtones are going, I would hold off trying to add your own.

IE 4 is Microsoft internet explorer 4. If you have the latest IE, you should be fine with the JDK 1.1

Make a new notepad file and add this to it

java -classpath /jdk1.1.8/lib/classes.zip;PalmMidiDesktop.jar PalmMidiDesktop

Save it as PalmMIDI.bat in the directory where all the unzipped PalmMIDI files are located. Double click to run. From here you can create a shortcut pointing to the batch file.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Here's what's happening on my machine:

If I delete MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB, it's automatically re-created the next time I go to the ringer selector screen (whichever one). When it's re-created it's empty. HOWEVER, it always leaves ONE of the custom ringtones around. I have no idea where it's cached.

Uploading an empty MIDI_Ring_Tones (replacing the one that's there) has the same effect as deleting it on the device (that is, the same orphaned ringtone symptom is displayed).

But if I upload a NEW MIDI_Ring_Tones that contains new ringtones, the orphaned one disappears.
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Here's what's happening on my machine:

If I delete MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB, it's automatically re-created the next time I go to the ringer selector screen (whichever one). When it's re-created it's empty. HOWEVER, it always leaves ONE of the custom ringtones around. I have no idea where it's cached.

Uploading an empty MIDI_Ring_Tones (replacing the one that's there) has the same effect as deleting it on the device (that is, the same orphaned ringtone symptom is displayed).

But if I upload a NEW MIDI_Ring_Tones that contains new ringtones, the orphaned one disappears.
    Yup, I get the same thing, but the "orphaned" tone actually shows up _twice_ in the list. Odd...
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...
    Thanks, slffl, for the information. I feel very dumb not recognizing Internet Explorer. I actually DO know what THAT is! :-)

I faithfully followed your instructions. When I double click on the bat file, I get the following message: "Bad Command of File Name" and the DOS window closed. Maybe I don't have java....
    Originally posted by pseudomass
    Thanks, slffl, for the information. I feel very dumb not recognizing Internet Explorer. I actually DO know what THAT is! :-)

I faithfully followed your instructions. When I double click on the bat file, I get the following message: "Bad Command of File Name" and the DOS window closed. Maybe I don't have java....
    Get Java Here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

And you might want to simplify your command line. Unless you have a _real_ old version of Java installed, part of the command line specified is unnecessary, and will actually cause the command to fail. Instead, try:
    "java -cp PalmMidiDesktop.jar PalmMidiDesktop"

Have fun.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...
    Thank you, joexner. I downloaded Java in the link you provided and all seems to be working now....

It sounds like the four tones supplied with Palm MIDI Desktop are NOT polyphonic. I'll need to find some good ones on the 'net I s'pose.
    For those wanting to edit long MIDI songs to familiar snippets, I found a freeware MIDI Editor at this link:

http://www.geocities.com/ap_sugunan/index.html

I'm playing around with it and so far so good....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12