1.    #1  
    I just picked up a wireless headset at Fry's in Austin for $99 (this is for non bluetooth phones). It's charging now, I'll let you know how it works. It comes with an extra battery, and the normal 2.5mm jack - BUT it has a couple of nifty little adapters for both Nokia types (including our treos) and a samsung adapter or something i've never seen.

I wonder if the little adapter to make the 2.5 two band work with the 3 band plug would work for the Jabra headset....??? It's cool that it has the adapters though, for home phone or whatever phone I may use.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Are you talking about the wireless set from GoldLantern? If you are, it won't work. Causes interference in the set for some reason, and you get horrendous feedback. Sorry.

FYI, they're working on another BlueTooth headset as we speak, supposed to be compatible with the Treo. Should come out in another month or so. I'll be testing it for them (friends with the CEO) I'll let you know how it goes.
  3.    #3  
    This is made by case-logic.

Please tell me more about your freinds new one, i.e. form factor, price estimate, ect...

thanks, Chris

still charging.
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    Haven't seen the one by Case-Logic. Fry's in California is selling my friend's current product (you can see what he sells at www.goldlantern.com). The new headset looks very similar to Jabra's FreeSpeak, with similar functionality. Should be priced slightly less that Jabra, though.

Can you point me to a picture/site that has Case-Logic's headset?

Thanks
  5.    #5  
    It does NOT work with the Treo. The supplied adapter looks like it might, but incoming or outgoing NADA - if i plug the transmitter in/out i'll get a fax/modem noise like it's dialing out!

the headset does work fine on normal 2.5 phones, which i've got around. I'll just forward my treo calls to the other phone with the headset. It'll work till my MP nokia jabra comes....ordered last night and still no confirmation other than their original e-mail. The site made it look like it was in stock, anyone know otherwise???
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    This may make it work with the Treo.
    Originally posted by christo1970
    It does NOT work with the Treo. The supplied adapter looks like it might, but incoming or outgoing NADA - if i plug the transmitter in/out i'll get a fax/modem noise like it's dialing out!

the headset does work fine on normal 2.5 phones, which i've got around. I'll just forward my treo calls to the other phone with the headset. It'll work till my MP nokia jabra comes....ordered last night and still no confirmation other than their original e-mail. The site made it look like it was in stock, anyone know otherwise???
    Let us know how the Jabra works for you! What treo do you have?
  8.    #8  
    Interesting, but I am now Jabra hooked. I've used just about every jabra headset - winder made it hard to use the treo, currently i've been using the one that has the mic build into the earpiece. The worse thing about the Jabras was losing the ear gels. I fixed that with a drop of superglue! Still, even playing witht the cheesy one for $99 - is like the first time I got over 28.8 ISP connection, or having a COLOR Visor,or the first time doing lots of things

ya know what I mean!

doh - I've had a 270 since June, currently using basejet and GPRS 1.1 (till next week!) sure, sure. They promised TC, so we better get it or else!
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    Not to spoil your excitement, but I had problems using the freespeak with my 270 which I've also had since june and running the gprs 1.1 patch. I had to return it and am highly bummed out!
    Jabra support says that everyone who has called in complaining of feedback on the calling party's end appears to be related to only the 270's and they appear to work great with the 300's. There is something different in the 300 firmware that's not right in our 270's.
    So please let me know if it works good for you!

TIA

Greg

I sent an email to HS support today inquiring. Let's see if they even respond!
  10.    #10  
    that sucks to hear about my 270, but I believe it after the generic one not working either. I read your posts, you didn't get one that works huh? If that's the case, I'll probably get the Jabra for 2.5mm and keep the calls forwarded to that phone (Verizon Kyocera 2035 with 1000 minutes for work) They said I'll have it in the morning, did yours come charged?
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    No, the first thing you wanna do is plug it in and let it charge. It will take a good 2 hrs and you'll know it's ready when both the blue lights turn off (headset and adapter).
    I'm still using the standard one and it works well. Except when answering, but if you've seen my posts I won't get in to it again!

Greg
  12.    #12  
    sorry, but I just want to know how your getting the normal 2.5 to work on treo 270???
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    Using the following adapter:
    http://www.seidioonline.com/store/vi...idcategory=277

I didn't get it from Seidio but it's the same thing!
    Hear is the response I got this morning from HS support:

Thank you for contacting Handspring Technical Support. We understand that
    you are experiencing difficulties with a third party headset on your Treo
    270. We will provide you with a series of steps to resolve your issue.
    Please follow these steps:

1. Try decreasing the Treo's volume to avoid feedback on the receiver's end
    (i.e. the recipient is hearing both your voice from your mouth AND your
    voice filtered through the ear speaker with a slight delay)

2. If you are using the hands-free headset, make sure the flip lid is closed
    while you are talking.

Handspring has not been contacted by Jabra concerning any difficulties with
    their hardware and its compatibility with our phones. Handspring makes its
    phones and organizers in accordance with certain specifications and then a
    third party makes hardware that either conforms or does not conform to those
    specifications. It is possible that this piece of hardware is more
    compatible with the Treo 300 than the Treo 270. At this time there are no
    plans to release a software or firmware patch for this issue, but thank you
    for bringing it to our attention, the problem has been noted.

They didn't read my question properly and provided an answer to an issue that I was not having!
    Here was the content of my question that was emailed to them:

I've recently purchased a Jabra FreeSpeak wireless headset for non-bluetooth
    phones with a nokia 2.5mm mini jack and there seems to be some
    incompatability issues with the Treo 270. The party on the other end of the
    call is getting terrible feedback of their own voice. I have been in touch
    with Jabra on several occasions and they're response to me is that the issue
    only appears to be occuring with the 270 model as it seems to work
    flawlessly with the 300 series treos. All of their customers that have
    called into Jabra support with this issue are 270 users. Is there a
    software/firmware upgrade or patch that can be installed on the 270 to
    resolve this issue?
    Thanks in advance for your assistance,
  15.    #15  
    I had to mate the jabra, but after that it works! At least from what I can tell so far....

Dialing from Treo: I have to turn headset on first, then dial number with treo. Works fine.

Incoming call on Treo: I hit the button on the headpiece and tell caller "hold on a sec!" then a short delay and i'm talking and listening. Works for me.

I love the form and feel of the freespeak, Jabra did another good job. Feedback reported from caller seems to be adjustable by turning treo volume down and headset medium. Thanks Jabra and Mobile Planet. I ordered online Wednesday 1am CST. Arrived at work at 10:30am Thursday. Been using ever since. Definitely get odd looks from people while wearing in the store, I love it! It'd be nice to have a bluetooth Treo so no extra thing is hanging while using. I guess I can unplug it while not where I'd use it - a personal preference i guess. I'm happy for this week.
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    OK, I realize this will probably expose the TRUE depth of my ignorance, but...

Isn't one of the advantages of using a headset that you keep the EMF radiation away from your brain? Why would you stick a wireless transmitter to the side of your head (if EMF is a real concern)? Or was that all just another techno-myth foisted upon those of us who aren't engineers?

Please don't flame me, I really don't know. I'm a software guy. This is hardware.

Thanks!